• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Multiple Station Towns/Cities where a new suffix could be added

Status
Not open for further replies.

William3000

Further to the recent debate about single station towns/cities where a suffix is unnecessary, such as where stations have closed rendering the existing station suffix unnecessary like Lincoln Central (Lincoln St Marks) etc.

Are there some stations where a suffix could be added for ease of understanding. Unofficially Colchester is often referred to as Colchester North but it doesn’t appear on any of the signs.

increasingly I hear people call Cambridge, Cambridge (Central) or the main Cambridge station, and with the arrival of Cambridge South to supplement Cambridge North, there must be a case for adding the ‘Central’ suffix.
Luton is another one where since the opening of Luton Airport Parkway a suffix of Central could be added.

There are probably others - I guess it’s a matter of cost and whether it’s really necessary but I note that there have been other changes - Bicester Town became Bicester Village, Whittlesford became Whittlesford Parkway etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

"Dorking" used to be known as "Dorking North" and is sometimes referred to as "Dorking (Main)".

"Oxford" could be renamed to "Oxford City" to distinguish it from "Oxford Parkway"
"Aylesbury" could be renamed to "Aylesbury Town" to distinguish it from "Aylesbury Vale Parkway"
"Warwick" could be renamed to "Warwick Town" to distinguish it from "Warwick Parkway"
"Stratford upon Avon" could be renamed to "Stratford upon Avon Town" to distinguish it from "Stratford upon Avon Parkway"

spyinthesky

"Dorking" used to be known as "Dorking North" and is sometimes referred to as "Dorking (Main)".

"Oxford" could be renamed to "Oxford City" to distinguish it from "Oxford Parkway"
"Aylesbury" could be renamed to "Aylesbury Town" to distinguish it from "Aylesbury Vale Parkway"
"Warwick" could be renamed to "Warwick Town" to distinguish it from "Warwick Parkway"
"Stratford upon Avon" could be renamed to "Stratford upon Avon Town" to distinguish it from "Stratford upon Avon Parkway"
The fact that they haven’t got a suffix already distinguishes them.
I don’t really see the need or the cost.

HughT

increasingly I hear people call Cambridge, Cambridge (Central) or the main Cambridge station, and with the arrival of Cambridge South to supplement Cambridge North, there must be a case for adding the ‘Central’ suffix.
I agree that the Cambridge "problem" is only going to get worse when South is constructed and that keeping the main station without any suffix in perpetuity likely won't work. But given the geography of Cambridge, adding "Central" would give rise to laughter rather than clarification, since (for the usual historical reasons) its location is anything other than "central". I take the point that its position between the North and South stations renders it, de facto, Central. But I doubt that's how any residents or visitors view it!

Ken H

On Moderation
Yes - Edinburgh Waverley is commonly used. Should Haymarket have the prefix Edinburgh added to it?
No. People will get off there thinking it's the main station!

Do people still get off at Brum International thinking they are on central Brum?

Ken H

On Moderation
I agree that the Cambridge "problem" is only going to get worse when South is constructed and that keeping the main station without any suffix in perpetuity likely won't work. But given the geography of Cambridge, adding "Central" would give rise to laughter rather than clarification, since (for the usual historical reasons) its location is anything other than "central". I take the point that its position between the North and South stations renders it, de facto, Central. But I doubt that's how any residents or visitors view it!
Cambridge General, Exchange?

robbeech

Established Member
Howden Parkway :)

It’s a 20 minute walk to the first house in Howden from the station.

I would have suggested the removal of Central from Rotherham Central until the tram train went and Parkway was added, now it’s probably sensible to leave it be.

tspaul26

Established Member
Chesterton
Cambridge
Hobson’s Park

Bosh!

Dai Corner

Established Member
Barry could be suffixed, say, "Town" to distinguish it from Docks and Island.

geoffk

Established Member
Colchester would be another. It's sometimes referred to as Colchester North to distinguish it from Colchester Town, formerly St. Botolph's.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Cambridge Station as the suffix then, as it is on Station Road.

Meadowhall should be Meadowhall North or something as some go to Meaddowhall South tram station in confusion and miss their train home.

Cleethorpes and other towns could add "-on-sea" or "beach" to advertise the seaside there.
Likewise to the geographically challenged, there is nothing in many major cities' or towns' station names that indicate that the place isn't just a nowhere stop, for example would Preston City encourage travel more than Preston (Lancs)?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
Cambridge Station as the suffix then, as it is on Station Road.
Meadowhall should be Meadowhall North or something as some go to Meaddowhall South tram station in confusion and miss there train home.

Cleethorpes and other towns could add "-on-sea" or "beach" to advertise the seaside there.
Likewise to the geographically challenged, there is nothing in many major cities' or towns' station names that indicate that the place isn't just a nowhere stop, for example would Preston City encourage travel more than Preston (Lancs)?

You cant get Meadowhall and Meadowhall South confused the latter is called Tinsley/Meadowhall South the former is Meadowhall interchange on trams. No need to rename the station at all as it is a waste of time. Cleethorpes isnt called Cleethorpes-on-sea as other towns do have that in their name thats why they are called there. Beach is pointless to add.

Status
Not open for further replies.