• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MummyTravels.com - Promotes Sitting On Rail Tracks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envoy

Established Member
The Mummy Travels website has a photo of a woman sitting on a rail line - and it certainly does not look like some rusting disused track. I think that this so called travel blog is really a marketing site with the photos 'lifted' from goodness knows where. The ironic thing is that I got to it via an e-mail shot from RedSpottedHanky - the site that you use to purchase your British Rail travel using Tesco Clubcard Vouchers.
http://www.mummytravels.com/category/wanderlust/

Attachments

• tracks.jpg
    tracks.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrB

Just looks like a stock photo to me - they don't explicitly say "sit on the tracks" so it's probably just a generic shot that comes up after a search for "stock travel photos".

PaulLothian

The page's html would seem to confirm it is from a stock photo company. Almost certainly not a UK image, but if anyone cares to analyse the track fittings...

Andrewlong

The Mummy Travels website has a photo of a woman sitting on a rail line - and it certainly does not look like some rusting disused track. I think that this so called travel blog is really a marketing site with the photos 'lifted' from goodness knows where. The ironic thing is that I got to it via an e-mail shot from RedSpottedHanky - the site that you use to purchase your British Rail travel using Tesco Clubcard Vouchers.
http://www.mummytravels.com/category/wanderlust/

Why don't you contact the website and suggest posting such pictures is not a good idea?

Ash Bridge

Established Member
The page's html would seem to confirm it is from a stock photo company. Almost certainly not a UK image, but if anyone cares to analyse the track fittings...

Would agree it's not in the UK but is somewhere in else in Europe, and the track gauge appears to be wider than standard, so would harzard a guess at Spain or Portugal? the girl also appears to have a Mediterranean look too.

rebmcr

Established Member
Only on this forum could an irrelevant stock photo be inflated to "promoting" and treated so seriously.

It reminds me of the other thread regarding impersonal figurative angry comments on a planning application being referred to as "condoning murder".

Seizing on such obscure details and devoting so much effort and attention to them demonstrates an immense detachment from reality.

Saint66

A simple Google will show how many similar stock images exist, and are widely available. Most, if not all, are taken abroad and nowhere near British railways.

najaB

Veteran Member
Meanwhile the admin of MummyTravels.com wonders why they've had twice the normal number of hits on the site! :D

Phil.

Established Member
Unless the model is about four foot nothing that track is almost certainly broad gauge so that puts it into either Spain or Portugal for my money.

Original poster - you do understand the difference between reality and the fantasy world of advertising don't you?

Oswyntail

Established Member
Only on this forum could an irrelevant stock photo be inflated to "promoting" and treated so seriously......
I seem to remember various magazines taking a similar position. The idea is not so much that it encourages the general public to sit on the tracks, but encourages other photographers to take similar photos. As we all know, there are some (self-proclaimed) idiots with cameras out there who are willing to break safety rules for a "good" shot.

thenorthern

Established Member
Slightly off topic but does anyone remember a second rate manufactured pop band called Liberty X who were active at the start of the 2000s?

I remember they had a single called "Everybody Cries" which had a music video of them walking on a rail track which for some reason this story has reminded me of. I remember Network Rail not being happy about it at the time.

Established Member
Only on this forum could an irrelevant stock photo be inflated to "promoting" and treated so seriously.

It reminds me of the other thread regarding impersonal figurative angry comments on a planning application being referred to as "condoning murder".

Seizing on such obscure details and devoting so much effort and attention to them demonstrates an immense detachment from reality.

Indeed of course there are many parts of the world where they don't bother to fence off large parts of their railway and get so excited about people trespassing on the railway.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

This, this and thrice this!

noddingdonkey

If you want something to get worked up about I came across a video on Youtube from a "life hacker", I think Russian, who had come up with a novel emergency phone charger. Wires attached to both rails to abstract power from the track circuits.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
If you want something to get worked up about I came across a video on Youtube from a "life hacker", I think Russian, who had come up with a novel emergency phone charger. Wires attached to both rails to abstract power from the track circuits.

Can you PM the video link?

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
There's loads of images of lunatics standing on or walking along railway lines on Flickr. Why I know is because one of my mates went and showed me a few images of idiots doing exatly that.

I'd love to see a few of them trying it over here.

Status
Not open for further replies.