• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Munich & Bavaria loco-hauled

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC 72100

Established Member
After the success that was Hamburg last year, I'm off to Germany again, and this time to Munich. Similar plan to last time - 1 day will hopefully be spent bashing.

I'm aware that there should be a Lander ticket available for the region, just wondering whether anyone has used this specific one before and knows a good map of it's validity :lol: https://www.bahn.de/p/view/angebot/regio/regionale-tickets/bayern/bayernticket.shtml

I'm thinking of using the REs to Fussen and Kempten, are these wholly within the area and still hauled by class 218s?

Also, any other loco-hauled services that people would recommend in Bavaria?

Thanks in advance! :)

Edit - I've found a map https://www.bahn.de/p/view/mdb/pv/d...ts/2015/mdb_190311_streckenkarte_bay_2015.pdf

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bradford758

The full details for the länder tickets online only appear on the DEUTSCH version of the db site.

Sent from my 4009X using Tapatalk

Established Member
Füssen/Kempten/Memmingen and, going the other way, Mühldorf trains are largely 245-hauled but still with some 218s. There's diagrams for the Kempten routes on European Rail Gen. Bavaria hasn't got too much in the way of loco-hauled regional trains these days, if you're based around Munich then there's the various ALEX services, hauled by either a 223 (Siemens EuroRunner) or 183 (EuroSprinter) on old East German compartment stock. 111s also work slower services to Nürnberg via two different routes (and I think to a few other places in the peaks?), with the fastest REs being 101-hauled using ex-IC stock on the high speed line.

Last edited:

Established Member
All the Kempten side 218/245s are now on dostos, a couple of peak Muhldorfs were hanging on with real stock before Christmas. I presume the Lindau line has now reopened so the diagrams should be back to normal. Usually a 218 vice 245 as well as Kempten have seven 245s for seven turns I think, but this may be relaxed again with the tunnel open as they won't be going through to Lindau. Still some of the god-awful 'deathtrap' tilting carts to avoid (612s?) on the odd train out of Munich but overall there are plenty of hauled trains that side, in contrast to the Flirt junk in the low platforms at Meridian. If it's a weekday the hauled Meridian train Vice Flirt is a must cover, one of the last trains in Europe that five classes can drop onto, see https://87015aewn.wordpress.com/2016/12/01/meridian-vice-munich-november-2016/ for what I got!

The Nuremberg/Inglostadt REs can be worth doing if you find a 101 on load four and fancy a bit of whacks-amps departing from the intermediate shacks. There are still 143s on S2 at Nuremberg itself and plenty of 111s out of there although the Stuttgarts are just turning over to new Traxx's.

I rate ALX, just a shame the locos are so boring - if only they had proper Taurus not bent ones!

There is loads to do, you won't struggle :)

Last edited:

Established Member
Ah yes I'd forgotten the Meridian vice turn - every time I've been in Munich in the evening peak lately I've gone for one of the Mühldorf/Simbach 218 extras instead!

CC 72100

Established Member
Thanks all for the quick responses. So to sum up so far if I've read correctly:

Munich to Fussen/Kempten/Memmingen = 218 (but possibly 245)

Munich to Lindau = 245 (but due to tight fleet availability may be a 218)

Munich to Muhldorf/Simback in evening peak = 218 (guessing there are specific train numbers)

Munich to Inglostadt & Nuremberg RE = 101 (is there just one route (the former high speed line) or a couple of different routes?)

Worth covering 17:11 Munich - Kufstein M-F (now number M 79081) as this can be varied loco+stock.

I'll be in Munich for Thursday PM, all day then Friday - Sunday so hopefully can do some of the evening peak trains on my 'non-rail' days too.

Established Member
Yes, if it's a Friday keep an eye on the 1611 Kufstein as well as the hauled set sometimes (if not always) does the earlier train by reports. I wasn't around on a Friday myself however.

On the Nuremberg HSL south of Inglostadt there is an hourly 111 on a RB and the REs are a mixture of 111s and 101s. I think everything RE that runs through to Nuremberg is a 101. The other 111s go via Regensburg and up that way. Handful of peak turns out on other lines via Pasing / Freising. One set does a Mittlewald diagram all day, or at least was in November vice plastic.

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
Munich to Inglostadt & Nuremberg RE = 101 (is there just one route (the former high speed line) or a couple of different routes?)

Munich-Nuremberg via Ingolstadt is just the one high-speed line.

CC 72100

Established Member
Yes, if it's a Friday keep an eye on the 1611 Kufstein as well as the hauled set sometimes (if not always) does the earlier train by reports. I wasn't around on a Friday myself however.

On the Nuremberg HSL south of Inglostadt there is an hourly 111 on a RB and the REs are a mixture of 111s and 101s. I think everything RE that runs through to Nuremberg is a 101. The other 111s go via Regensburg and up that way. Handful of peak turns out on other lines via Pasing / Freising. One set does a Mittlewald diagram all day, or at least was in November vice plastic.

Munich-Nuremberg via Ingolstadt is just the one high-speed line.

Thanks both - always wanted to travel behind a 101 as they appear to be rather fast in terms of acceleration. Checking on wikipedia it seems to be a similar distance (well ~10 miles less) and time to Bristol - Pad, and considering the amount of station calls should make for plenty of high-speed running between stations and hopefully the acceleration to match.

Also looking at German wikipedia it says that new locomotives and stock (class 102) 'will enter' service in Dec. 2016, so hoping that it is still the class 101s when I go in March.

Established Member
I don't think any of the new 102s + stock have even been delivered yet so I'd say there's still plenty of time for 101s on the München - Nürnberg express. An RE via Regensburg or an RB via Ingolstadt will be a 111 on double deckers.

I did the 15:22 München Hbf - Simbach in November and it was a 218 on old 'n-wagen' stock, but I don't know if any of those rakes have survived into the new timetable around there.

Last edited:

MarcVD

Then there is the train from Munich to Zurich which is still diesel loco hauled, right ? Must be a nice journey...

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk

D365

Veteran Member
Thanks both - always wanted to travel behind a 101 as they appear to be rather fast in terms of acceleration.

Fantastic locomotives they are, I was lucky enough to have once had a cab ride in one!

I'm really not a fan of the older diesel-hauled coaching stock, though I've also recently ridden (read: stood) in a 218.

Last edited:
Then there is the train from Munich to Zurich which is still diesel loco hauled, right ? Must be a nice journey...

Indeed it is, preferably in a window seat in the SBB resto wagen! All the München - Zürich EuroCity's (a few also continue to Basel SBB) are double headed 218's to Lindau where an SBB cargo electric takes over. A journey that I heartily recommend! Lindau is worth stopping off for an afternoon too, a beautiful little town on the Bodensee.

I second the regio to Inglostadt, with the cascaded Eurofima cars.

And also the ALEX's as already mentioned with their ex-DR cars and the old school compartments, ride an EC out to Lindau and return on an ALX or vice versa, take some beers, grab a compo and enjoy the scenery! :)

Don't forget to check out the Hofbräuhaus too, no visit to München is complete without going there! And Münchner Freiheit is good fun on a Freitag und Samstag Nacht with Schwabinger 7 and formerly Skyline (an experience..!), you also have Harry Klein on Sonnenstraße in the Stadtmitte too.

You'll have a blast whatever you get up to, München ist geil! :D

HA25322

The diagrams for the 111s are on ERG now. And dont forget that the trains to Muhldorf are 245s. The real problem though is München station is a nighmare. Platforms 5-11 are on one side. Platforms 27-36 are on the otherside of the station. Simple you would think. Nope you have to walk the complete length of a platform. Then walk past platforms 12 - 26 and the back up the platforms again. All in all about 800 metres. Will be so glad if and when they decide to build a bridge/subway at the north end of the station.
The other problem is that most of the loco hauled services have the loco on the north end and not the blocks. So have a pair of decent walking boots on.

Last edited:

On Moderation

218 hauled (still a pair I think) from München to Lindau, for SBB Cargo 421 through to Zürich. Stock is SBB EuroCity type.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Indeed it is, preferably in a window seat in the SBB resto wagen! All the München - Zürich EuroCity's (a few also continue to Basel SBB) are double headed 218's to Lindau where an SBB cargo electric takes over. A journey that I heartily recommend! Lindau is worth stopping off for an afternoon too, a beautiful little town on the Bodensee.

I second the regio to Inglostadt, with the cascaded Eurofima cars.

And also the ALEX's as already mentioned with their ex-DR cars and the old school compartments, ride an EC out to Lindau and return on an ALX or vice versa, take some beers, grab a compo and enjoy the scenery! :)

Don't forget to check out the Hofbräuhaus too, no visit to München is complete without going there! And Münchner Freiheit is good fun on a Freitag und Samstag Nacht with Schwabinger 7 and formerly Skyline (an experience..!), you also have Harry Klein on Sonnenstraße in the Stadtmitte too.

You'll have a blast whatever you get up to, München ist geil! :D

Just to point out that the Bavaria Ticket is not valid on IC/EC services, so the OP would have to buy a separate ticket for this service.

Established Member
The other problem is that most of the loco hauled services have the loco on the north end and not the blocks.

I see that as an advantage - if you want to sit behind the loco it's at the far emptier end of the train!

CC 72100

Established Member
Thanks for the responses - will have a proper read through and digest tomorrow!

D365

Veteran Member
Will be so glad if and when they decide to build a bridge/subway at the north end of the station.

There is a bridge, it's the Hackerbrücke ;)

The other problem is that most of the loco hauled services have the loco on the north end and not the blocks. So have a pair of decent walking boots on.

You mean the west end? Don't know why I normally find that loco-hauled trains pull in with the locomotive leading.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
you also have Harry Klein on Sonnenstraße in the Stadtmitte too.

Oh my, Harry Klein... takes me back to when I was living there and a friend came over to visit
... of all the places to end up it was there! Thankfully we caught the last or penultimate U-Bahn train home at around 2am which was still valid on our Bayern-Ticket from the previous day!

you also have Harry Klein on Sonnenstraße in the Stadtmitte too.

Oh my, Harry Klein... takes me back to when I was living there and a friend came over to visit
... of all the places to end up it was there! Thankfully we caught the last or penultimate U-Bahn train home at around 2am which was still valid on our Bayern-Ticket from the previous day!

Indeed good times! :)

Do you remember Skyline too über die Karstadt Im das Münchner Freiheit?!

"Harry, fahr den Wagen vor!" :lol:

CC 72100

Established Member
So I've just gone through a couple of the posts.

The diagrams for the 111s are on ERG now. And dont forget that the trains to Muhldorf are 245s. The real problem though is München station is a nighmare. Platforms 5-11 are on one side. Platforms 27-36 are on the otherside of the station. Simple you would think. Nope you have to walk the complete length of a platform. Then walk past platforms 12 - 26 and the back up the platforms again. All in all about 800 metres. Will be so glad if and when they decide to build a bridge/subway at the north end of the station.

That's fine - locos at the country end feel more traditional, although I'll bear it in mind if I am attempting any tight connections.

Just to point out that the Bavaria Ticket is not valid on IC/EC services, so the OP would have to buy a separate ticket for this service.

That's correct - no FIP yet so will make the most of Lander tickets.

D365

Veteran Member
That's fine - locos at the country end feel more traditional, although I'll bear it in mind if I am attempting any tight connections.

Like I said though, in my experience I've found that most locomotives (especially with trains such as the "Alex" that don't use driving trailers) end up facing the buffers anyway.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.