• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Murder Mystery trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newshy37

I have been thinking for a while to go on one of the "Murder Mystery" trains run by the "GCR" or "SVR" but never got round to it. Has anyone on here ever been on one and was it any good? Do any of the other railways do them?

I have done one in a hotel and it was good and I am fairly sure I will do one later this year. Ta, Dave.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomnick

Established Member
I've never travelled on one as a passenger but I've seen various bits of the theatrical bits on the GCR's murder mystery trains - everyone seemed to be enjoying the show while I was enjoying my dinner!

LE Greys

Established Member
Sounds like it might be fun to write the script, then give myself a cameo. Who actually performs in these? Are they professional actors, local amateur-dramatics or volunteer rail staff?

Tomnick

Established Member
I think ours are professional actors - they're certainly not GCR volunteers.

Newshy37

They're professional actors. These sort of things are fun (well I think so) I've been to a few in hotels but never one on the train so I'm planning to do one in winter because I think there is a little more atmosphere in the dark and cold.

I tried a couple of times to book the GCR one for the wifes birthday but it was always booked up at least 4 months in advance!

Some "Murder Mystery" evenings are interactive and you are given a part to play. I'm also fairly sure they can be altered a little so the murderer is different with the same (mostly) story. It would appear the ELR are going to have another go at it too but the first two are already booked up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tomnick

Established Member
I'm planning to do one in winter because I think there is a little more atmosphere in the dark and cold.
The atmosphere at Rothley on a dark winter evening takes some beating! Late turn there on a Saturday is definitely one of my favourites.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
The atmosphere at Rothley on a dark winter evening takes some beating! Late turn there on a Saturday is definitely one of my favourites.

I went on a dining train on the GCR in October. I have to agree, the atmosphere on a cold night on these stations is awesome.

The food and booze were blooming good too!

Newshy37

It's looking like the "SVR" one for me in November, don't suppose anyone has done it? Or been out there on the all night/Evening trains?

WSW

I have been thinking for a while to go on one of the "Murder Mystery" trains run by the "GCR" or "SVR" but never got round to it. Has anyone on here ever been on one and was it any good? Do any of the other railways do them?

I have done one in a hotel and it was good and I am fairly sure I will do one later this year. Ta, Dave.

The WSR run Murder Mystery trains:
http://www.west-somerset-railway.co.uk/section.php?xSec=8&xPage=1
in partnership with actors from "Murder by Appointment".

Steve
www.wsr.org.uk

Paul.S

The NNR have them too. 4 a year with each one having a different theme.

These are the dates/themes...

23 June - 1930's
22 September - 1940's
6 October - 1920's
3 November - Victorian Ghost

paul1609

Established Member
The NNR have them too. 4 a year with each one having a different theme.

These are the dates/themes...

23 June - 1930's
22 September - 1940's
6 October - 1920's
3 November - Victorian Ghost

We (the KESR) also run sherlock holmes mysterys as part of our Wealden Pullman service, they are pretty popular usually booked out months in advance

Newshy37

:D 'Tis booked! Will report back what they are like. I have tried to book the "GCR" ones years ago and yes they were all booked up way in advance too. It would appear that everyone here works on them and has not participated. I'm hoping for a clear frosty night in November. :D

Newshy37

My murder mystery train is this weekend. Still would like an idea of what happens if anyone has been on one, Ta, Dave.

Newshy37

It's supposed to be a mystery! :)

:lol::lol::lol:

Back from my trip on the "Murder Mystery Train". It was a good evening. 5 coaches hauled by a pannier tank (slowly). Compared to the murder mystery evenings in a hotel the one on the train was a bit "thin" for want of a better term. The hotel do's are a little more in depth and complex.

We arrived a little early to find the actors playing their parts on the platform to the arriving passengers. As the train trundles along the actors will act out a scene (the same one) at each end of the coach, we got 4 different scenes from Kiddi' to Bridgnorth then a 45 min' layover whilst more acting took place on the platform there where one of the actors was found dead!! There was then one more short act on the train and we had to fill in a form saying who commited the murder and why. There was about 40 people in our coach and 6 people got it right. All in all it was a good night out and a brilliant atmosphere on the platform in the cold frosty evening. The food was good too.

I would recomend it if you have a few bob spare and might fancy that sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.