• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

VTPreston_Tez

So, I've been getting into music lately. I heard Nightwish's "Bless the Child" and have to admit that it's quite a tune. I'm into like RnB and popular but I love dubstep as well.
So here's where we talk about music!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
I suspect this is going to be more general than Now Playing?

Personally speaking with a few exceptions I'm into metal but only those subgenres where you can actually hear the singer.
My ears are still ringing after Rammstein yesterday so not much for me :lol:

deltic1989

Established Member
I'll listen to most things with a tune to be honest.
I tend to listen mostly to rock and heavy metal though, stuff like bullet for my valentine, Avenged Sevenfold, Ramstien, Blink 182, Sum41.

I'm partial to a bit of dance though too, but thats mainly in the car.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Classic Rock, Country Rock and Classic Heavy Metal for me usually.

There are some aspects of Rock I do not like though - G'n'R, Bon Jovi and The Beatles for starters, words cannot express how much I dislike them.

SS4

Established Member
Classic Rock, Country Rock and Classic Heavy Metal for me usually.

There are some aspects of Rock I do not like though - G'n'R, Bon Jovi and The Beatles for starters, words cannot express how much I dislike them.

+1 for classic rock.

Another +1 for not liking the beatles. The rolling stones (paint it black excluded) are another band I don't get the hype for

David

Established Member
There are some aspects of Rock I do not like though - G'n'R.

You sir, are sadly lacking in your education. However, see as you are only young, it can be excused to a certain extent. Perhaps myself and a few other members can help you in that respect. :p

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
+1 for classic rock.

Another +1 for not liking the beatles. The rolling stones (paint it black excluded) are another band I don't get the hype for

Aye, I can't really see with The Beatles how the majority of their stuff was rock either.

You sir, are sadly lacking in your education. However, see as you are only young, it can be excused to a certain extent. Perhaps myself and a few other members can help you in that respect. :p

I cannot stand Guns 'n' Roses or any band like that, they just aren't what Led Zepp et al were yet they try so hard to be super awesome cool rock legends. Page, Townshend, Howe and Hackett are also in a different league than Slash. He, in my eyes, is very over-rated.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I'm glad the OP has discovered the wonders of Nightwish,:) they're my favourite symphonic metal band and indeed my favourite band out of the "modern" metal scene. My three favourite bands are Nightwish, Iron Maiden and Jethro Tull, so it's clear to see that my tastes fall broadly into the categories of power/folk metal, seventies and eighties classic rock and metal, and folk and folk-rock.

Music with serious bollocks, a great deal of technical skill and preferably the odd song about dragons and great quests.:D Dio and Satriani are my gods.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I forgot Prog Rock for my list too.

As for favourite bands? In order: Eagles (by a mile), Led Zepp, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, The Who, Eric Clapton, Deep Purple, The Jam.

Favourite musicians? Neil Peart, Joe Walsh, John Entwistle, Rob Halford, Bruce Dickinson.

SS4

Established Member
Some of my favourite bands (no order) are Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Rammstein, Saxon, Megadeth, Within Temptation.

PS: Don't you need to update your mileage Matt?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Ooh, I'm going to be controversial and say that I love the Beatles :lol:.

That said, I've never got into G n R (and I did try because there was this beautiful redhead at school who I was wildly in love with who was in to them) but me and G'n'R just never managed to get on.

SS4

Established Member
Ooh, I'm going to be controversial and say that I love the Beatles :lol:.

That said, I've never got into G n R (and I did try because there was this beautiful redhead at school who I was wildly in love with who was in to them) but me and G'n'R just never managed to get on.

The best thing Ringo Starr did was narrate Thomas the Tank Engine :lol:

Ivo

Established Member

[YOUTUBE]A0jNC5ytPKk[/YOUTUBE]

I'm sorry to say that I don't get the music hype. But I thought you might enjoy this :p

I do like a few out there. Courtesy of my father I am into Buddy Holly and have been since I was little - even though he died over 50 years ago.

SwindonPkwy

MattE2010 said:

As for favourite bands? In order: Eagles (by a mile), Led Zepp, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, The Who, Eric Clapton, Deep Purple, The Jam.

Favourite musicians? Neil Peart, Joe Walsh, John Entwistle, Rob Halford, Bruce Dickinson.

You mentioned Neil Peart without mentioning Rush! 2112 is one of my all time favourite albums.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Ah, that's not on :lol:

Seriously though, I really like Ringo's voice on "With A Little Help From My Friends". I think it suits the song for some reason.

SS4

Established Member
Ah, that's not on :lol:

Seriously though, I really like Ringo's voice on "With A Little Help From My Friends". I think it suits the song for some reason.

I admit that's an exaggeration :lol:. I don't think they're bad par se but I don't see how they're someone iconic

David

Established Member

As for favourite bands? Iron Maiden

I know this is going to come across as though I'm picking on you, but ....

You like Iron Maiden but not Guns and Roses ?????

By the way read the PM I sent ....

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I admit that's an exaggeration :lol:. I don't think they're bad par se but I don't see how they're someone iconic

I admit, there's a lot of hype about the Beatles. But then again, they did make some really really good tunes :)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I don't like Genesis' later work either, after And Then There Was Three it went downhill alarmingly fast. They were utter rubbish after that point.

You mentioned Neil Peart without mentioning Rush! 2112 is one of my all time favourite albums.

Aye, quite an omission :oops: Still doesn't detract from his excellence though, the solo in YYZ is amazing.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Omitted Yes, Pink Floyd, Whitesnake, Motorhead and Black Sabbath from my like list too!

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I don't like Genesis' later work either, after And Then There Was Three it went downhill alarmingly fast. They were utter rubbish after that point.

Again, I have to disagree. Even thouth their later work was never as good as Selling England By The Pound or The Musical Box, in their own rocky way, I do think the later Genesis came up with some gems.

Mama is superb, as are songs such as Duchess, Abacab and Home By The Sea. I don't think any of the later albums work as a whole as well as SEBTP though.

class156

I mostly listen to Metal, with some of my favourite bands including Nightwish, Avenged Sevenfold, Disturbed, Killswitch Engage, Slipknot, Stone Sour (same lead singer as slipknot but without the screaming) and Dead by April. There's a few more genres I like, Reggae and a bit of country.

VTPreston_Tez

I'm glad the OP has discovered the wonders of Nightwish,:) they're my favourite symphonic metal band and indeed my favourite band out of the "modern" metal scene. My three favourite bands are Nightwish, Iron Maiden and Jethro Tull, so it's clear to see that my tastes fall broadly into the categories of power/folk metal, seventies and eighties classic rock and metal, and folk and folk-rock.

Music with serious bollocks, a great deal of technical skill and preferably the odd song about dragons and great quests.:D Dio and Satriani are my gods.

Who actually is Jethro Tull? I only have heard of "Cheap Day Return" and you wonder why...time for Spotify!
EDIT: No more Jethro for me. Not my style. I Can Transform Ya by Chris Brown's good but I need to get addicted.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Who actually is Jethro Tull? I only have heard of "Cheap Day Return" and you wonder why...time for Spotify!
Jethro Tull was an agricultrualist who invented the seed drill in 1701. The present day Jethro Tull is, despite the popular misconception, not a singular person but the whole band. Although the misconception has not been helped in recent years as the title "Jethro Tull" has essentially been bestowed on Ian Anderson, the bands' principal icon, and a changing array of various hired hands who have suited his projects at the time. And the lineup has never been particularly stable beyond Mr. Anderson himself and guitarist Martin Barre.

VTPreston_Tez

Well, I don't exactly like their style...
Still got Chris Brown on, anyone got his and Rihanna's latest collabs?

Gathursty

Established Member
I'll go with Genesis as music I like but I'm hard to tie down to one particular genre. I note a distinct amount of metal fans on this forum but I've yet to really get into it.

Stuff I seem to keep coming back to are:
Rick James
Carole King
Goldfrapp
Gil Scott Heron
Talk Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.