• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My 00 Gauge layout - Oldmoor Junction Model Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter C

Established Member
I'm looking to try and get some trains running on the layout soon - I've not really done anything with it at all for a couple of weeks at least. I'm told that Oldmoor is going to be needing at least a few Summer specials to all those most enjoyable holiday destinations: I hear Bognor is severely lacking in direct services to the Cotswolds nowadays... ;)

-Peter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reddragon

Established Member
I'm looking to try and get some trains running on the layout soon - I've not really done anything with it at all for a couple of weeks at least. I'm told that Oldmoor is going to be needing at least a few Summer specials to all those most enjoyable holiday destinations: I hear Bognor is severely lacking in direct services to the Cotswolds nowadays... ;)

-Peter
Good time for you to send a charter to Bourton on the Tourist Trap?

Peter C

Established Member
It rather seems that Oldmoor has taken one of its summer breaks - it's simply been too hot to do anything most days, and on the days where it's been that bit cooler, I've not had anything to be getting on with! But hopefully that should change in the next few months. I've realised over the past couple of years, since we moved the layout, that it's a seasonal thing: this won't come as a surprise to most of you clever lot, especially those with layouts in lofts and attics, but it's rather caught me by surprise as to how seasonal changes can affect even a layout stored in a normal room in the house.
My plan, all going well, is to start making a little more progress on the layout over the next few months, in the Autumn and Winter specifically, as it gets easier to be leaning over the layout and doing this, that, and the other. The nights drawing in and it being colder outside also give way to spending more time indoors anyway, so I'm claiming that as more model railway-oriented time! There are a few jobs I've got to sort out.

One of the key things is ballasting: it's been neglected, really, for ages now, and I seriously need to get on and finish it. I've realised, after my trip to Birmingham the other week, that some of the ballasting work that I did before isn't perhaps as unrealistic as I'd thought. There are a couple of sections on the layout where the ballast is quite high between the running lines, and I assumed this was pretty unrealistic but didn't want to change it as it wouldn't be worth the effort. However, after spending some time looking out of the train window in-and-around Birmingham, it turns out that not all ballast on the railway is as perfect as you'd find in a tutorial for your model railway at home - who knew :lol:

Another thing to sort out is the park area I've got planned. It just needs some static grass and a fence, really, and then it's sorted - I can add the Fiddly Bits (TM) later. But I shan't bore you all senseless with my droning on: I'm sure I've said all this time and again already, so I'll bid you good evening. Good night, God bless, etc. ;)

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It rather seems that Oldmoor has taken one of its summer breaks - it's simply been too hot to do anything most days, and on the days where it's been that bit cooler, I've not had anything to be getting on with! But hopefully that should change in the next few months. I've realised over the past couple of years, since we moved the layout, that it's a seasonal thing: this won't come as a surprise to most of you clever lot, especially those with layouts in lofts and attics, but it's rather caught me by surprise as to how seasonal changes can affect even a layout stored in a normal room in the house.
My plan, all going well, is to start making a little more progress on the layout over the next few months, in the Autumn and Winter specifically, as it gets easier to be leaning over the layout and doing this, that, and the other. The nights drawing in and it being colder outside also give way to spending more time indoors anyway, so I'm claiming that as more model railway-oriented time! There are a few jobs I've got to sort out.

One of the key things is ballasting: it's been neglected, really, for ages now, and I seriously need to get on and finish it. I've realised, after my trip to Birmingham the other week, that some of the ballasting work that I did before isn't perhaps as unrealistic as I'd thought. There are a couple of sections on the layout where the ballast is quite high between the running lines, and I assumed this was pretty unrealistic but didn't want to change it as it wouldn't be worth the effort. However, after spending some time looking out of the train window in-and-around Birmingham, it turns out that not all ballast on the railway is as perfect as you'd find in a tutorial for your model railway at home - who knew :lol:

Another thing to sort out is the park area I've got planned. It just needs some static grass and a fence, really, and then it's sorted - I can add the Fiddly Bits (TM) later. But I shan't bore you all senseless with my droning on: I'm sure I've said all this time and again already, so I'll bid you good evening. Good night, God bless, etc. ;)

-Peter

To be honest I haven’t really done anything on my railway for months now. I think it’s just nice to know that it’s there for when I want to do something even if it’s just a couple of hours running trains around.

Re the ballasting - from the pictures you’ve shared I think it looks fine. Maybe the next thing is to have a look at weathering it maybe Peter?

reddragon

Established Member

-Peter
I brought my locos down from the loft in July due to heat, then was busy in August so only now am I taking them back up to be run!

PeterY

Established Member
To be honest I haven’t really done anything on my railway for months now. I think it’s just nice to know that it’s there for when I want to do something even if it’s just a couple of hours running trains around.

Re the ballasting - from the pictures you’ve shared I think it looks fine. Maybe the next thing is to have a look at weathering it maybe Peter?
All mine goes away for the summer. This time of year I'd rather be out and about but as soon as the clocks go back, out it will come. :D

Peter C

Established Member
It's been the same here really - I've not done anything major for some time, but it's nice to play trains every so often (even if it takes some dusting beforehand!).

Thank you! I have thought about weathering it, yes - actually, having seen the state of the track on my recent travels, I think my ballast needs an awful lot of weathering done to it... :lol:

I brought my locos down from the loft in July due to heat, then was busy in August so only now am I taking them back up to be run!
That's a clever idea: luckily the temperatures aren't as extreme in a normal room as they would be in a loft so I don't need to worry about that - I dread to think what a mess it'd all be in if I had to move all the stock around too!

All mine goes away for the summer. This time of year I'd rather be out and about but as soon as the clocks go back, out it will come. :D
I'm not a massive fan of summer, I must admit - so I've not been going out all the time - but it's still too hot to be leaning over the layout all the time and to be shuffling about and searching for long-lost things at the bottom of boxes which are in turn under fifty other bits-and-bobs! Model railways seem, therefore, to be rather like hibernation for many, it seems... ;)

-Peter

Peter C

Established Member
Testing, testing, one, two three... is this thing on? ;)

Yes! It's Oldmoor - back from the depths of being-mostly-ignored, and better than ever before!* Just like the briefcase of a chap who's just burgled a fruit preserve factory, this is a jam-packed update: filled with ballast, glue, mild use of Anglo-Saxon, more ballast, some waiting around, poking, and ballast again just to be sure, this should be an exciting adventure, so hold onto your hats, and please keep your hands and feet inside the ride at all times (and you can scream if you want to go faster but you could also just scroll quicker and achieve the same effect)...

So the eagle-eyed among you may have noticed there that I've probably been doing some ballasting work. Turns out I had some of the stuff just lying around (it's unbelievable how many times I had to tell it to stand up), so I figured I'd put it to good use by sticking it pretty much irrevocably to a bit of wood around some almost-accurately-scaled model railway track.

I was focusing on the railway centre area, as I'd been thinking (I promise I shan't do that too often, anyway it hurt rather) that I could use the "fine ballast" (false advertising, I say - was more like sand but was charged a premium for the stuff) I had hanging about and then go full Blue Peter (the show, rather than the A2 - though that would be impressive) and use some watercolour paints to weather it, instead of forking out the slightly-larger expense of getting the proper stuff what says "model railway track weathering magic" on it.

Being particularly well-versed in storytelling and 'before-and-after' comparisons, I didn't take any photos of the 'before' situation, so you'll have to make do with this photo of what it looked like during the first gluing round:
20221017_180743.jpg
It looked more impressive, if that's the right adjective, in-person, but I think you can still see here that it looks like there's been some awful milk flood localised entirely around the railway centre area. The volunteers weren't pleased, that's for sure...

And here's another shot, of some glue on a bit of wood:
20221016_173319.jpg
Now this does make it look like I've used crushed-up Shreddies and milk to detail Oldmoor, which whilst tasty, would cost an absolute fortune getting those large 1kg boxes of the stuff, so I can assure you that this is in fact the more usual method of ballast and watered-down PVA glue. The blob at the bottom of the frame was an accident involving the water I'd put on the ballast first - a tricky thing to get right without it all clumping like this, I've found, but amazing when it works.

And now here's another photo, of what it looks like now, after someone let me loose with a paintbrush and some WHSmith watercolour paints...
20221020_181808.jpg20221020_181802.jpg
As you can see, once I'd got the brush under control (having covered half of the Cotswolds in watered-down black paint), I had a bash at the stuff on the layout. It's not perfect, and it'll need another coat (well it is getting chilly out now), but I'm happy with it. It looks rather nice in person, and the colours, whilst visible, aren't as obvious in their contrasts as in the pictures.

Well, there we go - don't say I don't spoil you all :lol:

With every good wish, &c., &c.,
Yours,

-Peter

Attachments

• 20221020_181808.jpg
    20221020_181808.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 6

Iskra

Established Member
Well done for doing it Peter! I think it looks reasonably convincing and it’s something you’re only going to get better at with practice, so keep on going! :) Good to have an update from you too!

Peter C

Established Member
Thank you for your kind words @Iskra - much appreciated! It's definitely not perfect but it looks better in person than in those photos. I've started work on the area around the engine shed now, and so hopefully I can get it done relatively soon. Only issue is, I might have been a bit heavy-handed in my use of the black paint - you only get a tiny amount in those tray things :lol:

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thank you for your kind words @Iskra - much appreciated! It's definitely not perfect but it looks better in person than in those photos. I've started work on the area around the engine shed now, and so hopefully I can get it done relatively soon. Only issue is, I might have been a bit heavy-handed in my use of the black paint - you only get a tiny amount in those tray things :lol:

-Peter

Some ballasting action. I approve Peter and it looks good too now that you’ve toned it down. If you have any dips and hollows you can still top them up later if need be with some strategic sprinkling…

Peter C

Established Member
Some ballasting action. I approve Peter and it looks good too now that you’ve toned it down. If you have any dips and hollows you can still top them up later if need be with some strategic sprinkling…
Thanks @Cowley. I was aiming for an "absolutely-filthy-yet-still-cared-for" sort of approach - so it's not going to be cluttered with all sorts of things like old rails and barrels, and I won't be making it into its own garden railway with static grass, the idea being that the volunteers at the railway centre take pride in maintaining their site, though will happily make it look a bit dirty to achieve that 'period' effect, if that makes any sense at all! I'd not thought about that with the ballast - thank you. I'll have to try it at some point!

-Peter :)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I have sent a PM to Peter about the 00 gauge layout that I had in the late 1970s (12 foot x 6 foot) that was based on Middleton Junction station. The platforms made use of wooden baulks in real life and were a labour of love to recreate. I chose that station as it gave me the opportunity to model the adjacent J W Lees brewery complex with some unusual buildings. There was the main line traffic through the station, branch line passenger and goods to Middleton and freight traffic to the Chadderton area.

Peter C

Established Member
The unusual brewery complex buildings you mention somewhat remind me of our very own @Cowley's Lapford layout - though that's not to say his buildings are "unusual" in a bad way (quite the opposite in fact) - it just reminded me of the dairy sidings (admittedly not sidings made from dairy products) and the buildings they served, which have always been of interest to me because of some parts of their design (helped of course by the amazing model we've seen develop on here!).

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The unusual brewery complex buildings you mention somewhat remind me of our very own @Cowley's Lapford layout - though that's not to say his buildings are "unusual" in a bad way (quite the opposite in fact) - it just reminded me of the dairy sidings (admittedly not sidings made from dairy products) and the buildings they served, which have always been of interest to me because of some parts of their design (helped of course by the amazing model we've seen develop on here!).

Oh stop it you big silly. :lol:

Peter C

Established Member
So - some rather large developments in the world of Oldmoor. Brace yourselves, as I realise this may seem a bit sudden (and I mean that more sincerely than I perhaps normally would!).

For those of you who have things to be getting on with, I'll save you the bother of reading any further and bring you up to speed here: Oldmoor has gone. Not a fallen-down-the-back-of-the-sofa type thing, but rather it's been taken up. I know that's going to seem really strange, to put it lightly, given how I was adding new ballast only the other week, but there is a logic behind it - so read on...

(I'll try and keep this brief)
I've come to the conclusion that the layout, at 8'x4', was a bit too big to be practicable and to get looking as nice as I wanted it (or anything close, really). The main issue was not being able to reach so much of it - work such as ballasting the 'far side' (i.e. through Oldmoor Junction station), and detailing the station itself, was going to prove very difficult when leaning over four feet of 1:76 town!
Another factor was the time it's taken me to get as far as I had with the layout. It's been two years since we moved the layout upstairs, and whilst I made some progress which I was very happy about, I could never devote as much time as I wanted to be able to towards developing it all. And so the bedroom was taken up by this thirty-two-square-foot board, mostly finished in some areas but woefully undeveloped in others, and all looking a bit of an eyesore really (yes, I know it was a work-in-progress, but it was a particularly slow work-in-progress).

The space the layout took up, I decided, would be much better-used if the layout, well, wasn't there. It's a large amount of space I should like to be able to make use of, and given I've found myself becoming a little bit uninterested in developing a layout to such a degree as I was when we moved it in here, I feel like this version does need to go. I'm not totally uninterested in model railways as a whole - Lord, no - I'm still very much interested in the whole scene, and have some ideas for post-Oldmoor Junction in the works - but I think the task, which is essentially what it had become, of building the layout was getting to be a bit more of a chore than a hobby. I really think the issue was in the size of it all: I rarely - if ever - used much of the track I'd set down, it was very difficult to dust and keep tidy, and the track wasn't always laid in the best possible way, either.

So, last week I set about packing the whole thing away. I've got some photos, which I'll attach at the end of this post, but I'll describe it briefly here now as well. The buildings, and all things which weren't pinned down to the board, went first, leaving just the track. Then, the track came up, starting with the bits which hadn't been ballasted, and then working along through the bits which were glued and pinned. The stock went away before the track came up, and now the whole lot - which is heavier than I'd expected! - is sitting in boxes, engines neatly bubble-wrapped, waiting to be used again. As I write this, the board is waiting to be chopped up - a task I'm hoping to get done at some point during the coming week - and then it can be moved downstairs in pieces, and gotten rid of. I must admit, the whole thing is a little sad but I've got some new ideas...

So these new ideas - what are they? Well, the layout will be coming back, just nowhere as big as it was. It'll be a simple second-radius-loop affair, allowing for all of the buildings I already have to be used again in the middle of the board. It's going to use the same range of stock, and have the same setting (or rather, lack thereof). It's going to be a single-track layout but with a passing loop and small two-platform station: there'll be small depot and goods areas as well. The plan is for the layout to fit under a bed - meaning it can be brought out when I want to use it, but at all other times it'll be out of sight. This seems, to me at least, to be a much more practicable size of layout than the 8'x4' set-up.

I realise I have rambled on for some time now, so I'll leave you with these photos of the layout being taken apart - they're not of the best quality, but hopefully they show the stages of pulling it all up, and how odd it looked after each one!
My intention is very much to remain on the forum, and I'll be back on here at some point - though probably not for a couple of months I expect - with developments about the upcoming layout. I should just like to take this opportunity to say thank you so much to all of you lovely lot - you know who you are! :) - who have helped me in developing the skills and ideas I used for Oldmoor Junction: I shall most definitely continue to develop and use them in the next version of the layout, to a much better standard than before. ;)

20221030_151414.jpg20221030_151417.jpg20221030_180117.jpg20221104_175334.jpg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So - some rather large developments in the world of Oldmoor. Brace yourselves, as I realise this may seem a bit sudden (and I mean that more sincerely than I perhaps normally would!).

For those of you who have things to be getting on with, I'll save you the bother of reading any further and bring you up to speed here: Oldmoor has gone. Not a fallen-down-the-back-of-the-sofa type thing, but rather it's been taken up. I know that's going to seem really strange, to put it lightly, given how I was adding new ballast only the other week, but there is a logic behind it - so read on...

(I'll try and keep this brief)
I've come to the conclusion that the layout, at 8'x4', was a bit too big to be practicable and to get looking as nice as I wanted it (or anything close, really). The main issue was not being able to reach so much of it - work such as ballasting the 'far side' (i.e. through Oldmoor Junction station), and detailing the station itself, was going to prove very difficult when leaning over four feet of 1:76 town!
Another factor was the time it's taken me to get as far as I had with the layout. It's been two years since we moved the layout upstairs, and whilst I made some progress which I was very happy about, I could never devote as much time as I wanted to be able to towards developing it all. And so the bedroom was taken up by this thirty-two-square-foot board, mostly finished in some areas but woefully undeveloped in others, and all looking a bit of an eyesore really (yes, I know it was a work-in-progress, but it was a particularly slow work-in-progress).

The space the layout took up, I decided, would be much better-used if the layout, well, wasn't there. It's a large amount of space I should like to be able to make use of, and given I've found myself becoming a little bit uninterested in developing a layout to such a degree as I was when we moved it in here, I feel like this version does need to go. I'm not totally uninterested in model railways as a whole - Lord, no - I'm still very much interested in the whole scene, and have some ideas for post-Oldmoor Junction in the works - but I think the task, which is essentially what it had become, of building the layout was getting to be a bit more of a chore than a hobby. I really think the issue was in the size of it all: I rarely - if ever - used much of the track I'd set down, it was very difficult to dust and keep tidy, and the track wasn't always laid in the best possible way, either.

So, last week I set about packing the whole thing away. I've got some photos, which I'll attach at the end of this post, but I'll describe it briefly here now as well. The buildings, and all things which weren't pinned down to the board, went first, leaving just the track. Then, the track came up, starting with the bits which hadn't been ballasted, and then working along through the bits which were glued and pinned. The stock went away before the track came up, and now the whole lot - which is heavier than I'd expected! - is sitting in boxes, engines neatly bubble-wrapped, waiting to be used again. As I write this, the board is waiting to be chopped up - a task I'm hoping to get done at some point during the coming week - and then it can be moved downstairs in pieces, and gotten rid of. I must admit, the whole thing is a little sad but I've got some new ideas...

So these new ideas - what are they? Well, the layout will be coming back, just nowhere as big as it was. It'll be a simple second-radius-loop affair, allowing for all of the buildings I already have to be used again in the middle of the board. It's going to use the same range of stock, and have the same setting (or rather, lack thereof). It's going to be a single-track layout but with a passing loop and small two-platform station: there'll be small depot and goods areas as well. The plan is for the layout to fit under a bed - meaning it can be brought out when I want to use it, but at all other times it'll be out of sight. This seems, to me at least, to be a much more practicable size of layout than the 8'x4' set-up.

I realise I have rambled on for some time now, so I'll leave you with these photos of the layout being taken apart - they're not of the best quality, but hopefully they show the stages of pulling it all up, and how odd it looked after each one!
My intention is very much to remain on the forum, and I'll be back on here at some point - though probably not for a couple of months I expect - with developments about the upcoming layout. I should just like to take this opportunity to say thank you so much to all of you lovely lot - you know who you are! :) - who have helped me in developing the skills and ideas I used for Oldmoor Junction: I shall most definitely continue to develop and use them in the next version of the layout, to a much better standard than before. ;)

View attachment 123747View attachment 123748View attachment 123749View attachment 123750

Oh my, you’ve had a visit from Dr Beeching!

I can completely understand why you’ve taken the decision because it was quite a large layout when you haven’t got much room etc. Maybe one option would be to join a local model railway club so you can still run your trains now and again when you fancy it?

I’d definitely hang onto everything though because it is one of those hobbies that I’m sure you’ll want to come back to at some point.

Peter C

Established Member
Oh my, you’ve had a visit from Dr Beeching!

I can completely understand why you’ve taken the decision because it was quite a large layout when you haven’t got much room etc. Maybe one option would be to join a local model railway club so you can still run your trains now and again when you fancy it?

I’d definitely hang onto everything though because it is one of those hobbies that I’m sure you’ll want to come back to at some point.
Word is Dr Beeching was seen in the Crown & Anchor shortly before the whole town was obliterated - I think he's become rather over-the-top in recent years now he's demolishing whole towns... :lol:
I'd not thought about the local model railway club idea - thank you! I'd have to look into it, but I'm sure there'll be one nearby somewhere: could be quite fun actually! I'm definitely keeping all of the stock, and all of the buildings - this new layout idea I have planned is based around the buildings I've got already, and like you say, in the future it's a given I'll end up coming back to it in the future anyway.

Does this mean Mrs Miggins is homeless? :D
Unfortunately, yes - there was a slight issue with the paperwork though (printing stuff seventy-six times smaller than reality is hard on an inkjet), so she didn't get the notice through the door. It all went rather Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy after that... ;)

-Peter

fourtytwo

Very brave to bite the bullet!! I did the same with N gauge as I realized never mind how many layouts I built the fundamental problems remained the same and it was causing me to loose interest in the entire hobby. I moved to OO but that's a big size change so I also had to change the style of layout from continuous run to terminus/fiddle to fit in the available space. As you say thinking about planning a new layout should get you enthusiastic again, good luck.

Iskra

Established Member
I think the rationalisation is very sensible Peter and should make things more manageable, but all the same it's still a little sad seeing that photo of your empty layout!

reddragon

Established Member
Oh Dr Beeching what have you done!

I did this and had no railway for 20+ years. Well I move dout into my own home and come back to visit my parents one day & it was in boxes! They didn't even ask! Ripped apart.

So Peter, you'll be busy on ebay then?

Peter C

Established Member
Very brave to bite the bullet!! I did the same with N gauge as I realized never mind how many layouts I built the fundamental problems remained the same and it was causing me to loose interest in the entire hobby. I moved to OO but that's a big size change so I also had to change the style of layout from continuous run to terminus/fiddle to fit in the available space. As you say thinking about planning a new layout should get you enthusiastic again, good luck.
That's much the same problem as I've been having - when it becomes more of a chore than a hobby, it can get quite disheartening. I don't think I could make the change from OO to N though! I'm definitely looking forward to getting a new layout planned and built - got plenty of ideas and new ways of improving on past techniques... :)

I think the rationalisation is very sensible Peter and should make things more manageable, but all the same it's still a little sad seeing that photo of your empty layout!
That's the hope! But yes, it is a bit sad to see it all gone after working on it for so much time. However, it won't be gone for long and I'll be back with a hopefully-better plan soon - one which I shall hopefully enjoy more for longer! :lol:

Oh Dr Beeching what have you done!

I did this and had no railway for 20+ years. Well I move dout into my own home and come back to visit my parents one day & it was in boxes! They didn't even ask! Ripped apart.

So Peter, you'll be busy on ebay then?
That's a shame @reddragon - but at least you've been able to build another layout in its place!
I shan't be selling any of the stuff from Oldmoor (yet) - I'm much too attached to it for one - but I may sell a couple of smaller bits if it turns out that they really won't work/fit on the next layout. I might find myself buying more than selling! :lol:

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
That's a shame @reddragon - but at least you've been able to build another layout in its place!
I shan't be selling any of the stuff from Oldmoor (yet) - I'm much too attached to it for one - but I may sell a couple of smaller bits if it turns out that they really won't work/fit on the next layout. I might find myself buying more than selling! :lol:

-Peter
Buy in sales, sell in booms.

January is buying time, now is selling time!

Status
Not open for further replies.