• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

my anytime day single says 'via leeds'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ark84

Hi everyone,
I've just booked using thetrainline to come home to Doncaster from Manchester airport, something I've done before but I've always just assumed the route is 'via sheffield', however I've noticed that this time in the email I've obviously selected a different train because even though it's an anytime day return it says "Route: Valid only for travel via (changing trains or passing through) Leeds." which seems a bit strange!
is that just a formality or do I need to go to the hassle of changing the ticket?

Thanks for any help, Mark.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chapeltom

Established Member
There are two fares from Manchester Airport, one via Sheffield and the cheaper one, via Leeds. If it says travel via Leeds you must do so, although you could get a change of route excess at a ticket office.

And as it is 'Anytime Day Single' you could have just purchased it on the day, it's no cheaper buying it in advance.

ark84

There are two fares from Manchester Airport, one via Sheffield and the cheaper one, via Leeds. If it says travel via Leeds you must do so, although you could get a change of route excess at a ticket office.

And as it is 'Anytime Day Single' you could have just purchased it on the day, it's no cheaper buying it in advance.

thanks for the info :) i'll get in swapped for a Sheffield one!

Chapeltom

Established Member
thanks for the info :) i'll get in swapped for a Sheffield one!

You can go to a ticket office, and asked for it to be excessed to go via Sheffield. It should be only 60p.

Although, I'm not sure if it changes anything if you've ordered it from the Trainline's website and picked it up. Other posters will help you on that...

pemma

Veteran Member
Unless there's a special offer on it's not advisable to book via the Trainline as they charge additional fees which aren't charged if you buy from the station ticket office or via the train operator's websites e.g. TransPennine Express' website.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Go to any ticket office and ask for a 'Change of Route Excess to go via Sheffield' and they should simply charge you the difference between the two fares!

TP

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
...or do I need to go to the hassle of changing the ticket?...
Not really a hassle for you, the Guard will simply excess it, at the cost of 60p (unless travelling at a time when the CDS is valid, then it should be zero!)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
A DON-MIA fare is poor value.

There are many cheaper fares around. You have a PM.

Another one that isn't too bad is DON-Styal, £24.20 for an Any Permitted SDS. Obviously you can finish short at the airport.

ark84

ooh thanks for the info gentlemen,
so to clarify, when you say the guard will excess it does that mean I'm not in danger of breaking any rules if I did get on a direct train that wasn't via leeds? I don't want a huge fine or something scary happening(I have an anxiety disorder so everything is scary!)

najaB

Veteran Member
so to clarify, when you say the guard will excess it does that mean I'm not in danger of breaking any rules if I did get on a direct train that wasn't via leeds? I don't want a huge fine or something scary happening(I have an anxiety disorder so everything is scary!)
If you want the least hassle and anxiety, go to the ticket office and ask for your excess before boarding.

But no, I wouldn't expect you would get any bother asking for the excess on board the train, or at the ticket office at your destination station if there is no ticket check on board.

ark84

If you want the least hassle and anxiety, go to the ticket office and ask for your excess before boarding.

But no, I wouldn't expect you would get any bother asking for the excess on board the train, or at the ticket office at your destination station if there is no ticket check on board.

Could I go to any ticket office like as soon as I get the tickets to just pay the excess so I don't have to worry about it on the day?

najaB

Veteran Member
Could I go to any ticket office like as soon as I get the tickets to just pay the excess so I don't have to worry about it on the day?
Yes, any ticket office should be able to sell you an excess. You might find that some ticket clerks are better clued up on it than others though.

ark84

I really appreciate all the help you have all offered me, you've saved me from spending the whole weekend worrying :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Next time buy the cheaper Styal ticket to avoid the airport premium.

As for this time, it's up to you: you can either visit a ticket office (if convenient) or the Guard will excess it for you on the train.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
And never use the trainline to book tickets as they are neve cheaper because they charge booking fees and credit card fees.

Book at a train operating company website to avoid these fees.

ark84

http://i.imgur.com/rnKswCC.jpg
I went to the train station and I got given this in exchange for my ticket, it looks so unofficial but she said it is right- it didn't cost the the 60p extra either! Could some one just confirm that everything is fine??

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I certainly wouldn't have expected a paper excess, but I would have expected to have kept the original ticket, shouldn't be an issue for yourself either way with what you have.

TP

najaB

Veteran Member
It's not been filled in correctly, but to be honest, with the relative (in)frequency excess pads are used I can't see it being a problem.
I did expect a station stamp, but as you said they are used so rarely and it's a zero-fare excess so I can't see any problem with it being accepted.

danbushell

I found to travel from Manchester Airport to Sheffield on the Trans Pennine Express site was quoted £21.
The same train from Piccadilly to Sheffield was £8 so I bought a single from Manchester Airport to Piccadilly for £5 saving £8 on the fare.
Crazy airport premium.

Status
Not open for further replies.