• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My Day from Hell (compensation advice required)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
Not a happy bunny. Not in the slightest.

Yesterday (Friday June 1st) I was due to meet a friend in London for seven hours. She was ill the morning so we almost called it off, but she said to press ahead anyway because neither of us knew when the next opportunity would be (she lives in Leeds). I wish she had called it off.

IN BRIEF:

After a problem with an LUL ticket barrier, I was subjected to cluelessness and haplessness by both LUL and SWT and left with a far less useful ticket combination than the one I had formerly had, and lost a substantial amount of time as a result (courtesy of both the new restrictions and their hopelessness). Meanwhile, signal problems in Swindon on the way back to Bath didn't exactly help matters either...

I don't know what to say in any letters I write (I will be writing to FGW, LUL, SWT and TfL), although I know I can draft a letter based on any advice you guys can offer me. Any suggestions, comments, or whatever, please let me know. You can rest assured that I am not in any trouble at all.

---------------

I left my University at 1150 as planned, and travelled to Bath Spa (BTH) in time for the 1243 to London Paddington (PAD). Travelling with First Great Western (FGW) and equipped with a three-way split ticket, which required stopping at Cholsey (CHO) and therefore changing at Didcot Parkway (DID) and Reading (RDG), I expected to arrive into PAD at approximately 1430. Unfortunately, my plan was damaged on arrival at PAD by a signal problem at King's Cross St Pancras which had crippled the Sub-Surface Lines, so rather than meeting my friend at Liverpool Street - and then only there and not PAD because she was delayed out of Wickford - as planned we rearranged for Waterloo, on the main forecourt area (WAT), where I expected to arrive at approximately 1510 (in practice it was 1508). I held the following ticket combination:

• Off-Peak Day Return, BTH-CHO (YP)
• Off-Peak Day Return, CHO-RDG (YP)
• Off-Peak Day Travelcard, RDG-0035* (YP)

0035 = London Zones 1-6 Travelcard

However, things went rather wrong upon reaching the London Underground (LUL) concourse. I put my Travelcard in the barrier - and out came a Weekly Travelcard issued at Surbiton that required a photocard! Something was obviously not right here! So, after about two minutes of panicking that I had dropped my ticket and picked up someone else's by mistake, I realised that it was a simple problem with the barrier, so I sought assistance from the staff, who let me through without trouble. From this point on though, it seemed as though nothing could go right.

After a visit to the LUL Station Office (which was a bit of a treat :p), who claimed that because I had a ticket issued from a location outside of the Zones, there was nothing they could do, and that I had to speak to the South West Trains (SWT) staff upstairs. Although far from certain I believed that this was true, I went upstairs and headed over to the Customer Services Desk and spoke to a Supervisor, who told me that the Station Manager (or at least a manager of some kind anyway) was expected in about fifteen minutes, so I had to wait for his arrival.

When he finally did turn up, he did not know what to do. By this stage I had lost almost 30 minutes and had had no resolution - and neither was a resolution in sight. Eventually, he took me to the SWT Ticket Office, who - after what felt like an eternity - revealed to me through the manager that they could not do anything without some kind of form from the LUL office, so I was sent back downstairs again. Knowing my friend should have arrived at WAT by this time, (I later learned that she didn't know about the Waterloo & City so this was not the case), I waited for a few minutes to see if she would turn up soon or not. Finally, after about ten minutes of anxiety, I gave up waiting and returned to my existing problem.

Returning to the LUL barrier, the staff knew what had happened and told me to return to their Station Office. At this point however, my friend called to tell me she had arrived, so on staff advice I went to find her and then returned to their barrier once again; by this stage, I had lost roughly one hour. They directed me to the office again, where the staff member dealing with my problem was not only slow to help but also reluctant to help. Eventually, he did fill out some kind of ticket loss form (I'm not sure what it was exactly), which I then had to take up to the SWT office for them to sort out. LUL were clearly blaming SWT for the problem, saying that they should have simply issued me a replacement, and promised me that everything would be resolved soon and I would have a new Travelcard, complete with RDG return validity.

Needless to say, the Customer Services Desk there didn't know what to do either, so I had to wait on discussions in the Ticket Office - again. After this new consultation, I was told to join the queue waiting for the ticket booths at WAT, and specifically for Window 9. Considering they had only six windows (out of 14) open, and that by this time it was approaching 1645, the queue was at least ten minutes long, and then I had to wait for one of them specifically - which, predictably, became available to the person immediately in front of me in the queue, so I had to wait another couple of minutes. When Window 9 did finally speak to me, the guy there was also very reluctant to help, and blamed LUL for the problem - which, to be fair, I agreed with - and advised me that he could only give me a single to RDG, and then one valid only on SWT. Considering SWT run only two trains per hour to RDG against roughly 10 under FGW even before the slows are considered, and that they take 55 minutes longer than the FGW services, or 25 minutes longer than the slow FGW services, I was not happy and told him that this would leave me severely restricted and without a Travelcard - and in response he told me that if I do that again (whatever "that" was) he would not offer me a ticket, as he was "under no obligation to". Eventually, he gave me a slip from some kind of SWT book (which looked like a cheque book), and told me it would get me to RDG. I was still well short of what I should have had, but at least it was something, so I thanked him for it and left the Ticket Office - for the Customer Services Desk.

Back at the Customer Services Desk, and having lost more than 100 minutes of my day by this stage, I told them that I had a means to return to RDG - but outlined the problems I faced in returning. Rather than leaving at 2115 from PAD as planned, to be on this same train I was looking at leaving WAT at 1950, and I still had no Travelcard. They therefore sent me down to the LUL barrier again, where the staff there suddenly realised they had the ability to at least offer me a Travelcard to go with my RDG "single" - but were only willing to issue one for Zones 1 and 2. Which, from WAT, would only get me as far as Putney on SWT, and from PAD would not get me anywhere at all on FGW.

By this stage I had had enough so I just gave up. It was now 1713 so I had lost 125 minutes since I had first stepped off the Bakerloo line train downstairs, and I was thirsty and desperate to make my time in London with my friend worthwhile. So we resorted to the Starbucks that exists within the WAT forecourt area on Waterloo Road and sat down for a while.

Come 1940, I returned to the concourse and said goodbye to my friend, having seen our useful time together scythed from nearly seven hours to less than two-and-a-half. I boarded the 1950 to RDG and immediately sought the Guard, finding her on arrival at Clapham Junction (because only one of the two middle cabs on the 458 was accessible for some reason and I chose the wrong half of the train :roll:). She invited me into the First Class compartment and told me to write down what had happened, so I took the opportunity to record my thoughts on my voice recorder whilst doing so, and when I was finished she said she would try to have the details forwarded to SWT at Overline house in Southampton, but that I would still need to contact them myself. To her credit, she did at least allow me to stay in the compartment right through to RDG - so imagine how I felt when that journey just happened to be the first time I had ever seen a Revenue Protection Inspector on SWT! (I chose this train rather than the 2020 for two reasons; one, I didn't wanted to risk any more delay, and two, by this stage I had become very hungry and knew that most outlets at RDG would be closed.)

Arriving at RDG at 2110 I sought something to eat and returned in time for the 2158 stopper to DID, calling at CHO among others. We arrived into DID on-time, so I made my way to Platform 1 for the 2231 HST to BTH - which then materialised on the same platform I had just arrived on. Why?

It soon transpired that there was a complete signal "blackout" (to quote the Train Manager) between DID and Swindon! So, after a few minutes of indecision there, we were sent back through CHO towards RDG, travelling on the little-used West Curve, and proceeded to BTH via Newbury and the diversionary chord just east of Westbury. This cost me yet another 48 minutes, and I finally returned to BTH at 0006 - and would end up returning to my University 62 minutes later than planned, owing to a slight late-running on the bus back. Again to the staff's credit however, I was given another free First Class upgrade - but this time, it was because a lady who had clearly had too much to drink had wanted to sit down and wanted me to sit with her!

In the end, I lost:

• 125 minutes at WAT
• 85 minutes' equivalent on SWT
• 48 minutes (62 minutes' equivalent) on and after FGW

Overall Delay: 173 minutes, plus additional 99 minutes' equivalent for a grand total of 272 minutes. Over four-and-a-half hours.

---------------

So, RailUK folk, I need some help. I don't know what to write in my letters (if I write this much they may well get ignored), and because I have several different issues I wish to be very careful with the tickets I have, especially considering the RDG Travelcard is not in my possession now. FGW theoretically will not be interested in giving me any form of compensation at all, given their delay was only 48 minutes which is accepted only on the former Thames Trains routes, but owing to all the trouble I have put up with I still intend to complain to them (especially considering my net loss on the full "PAD"-BTH journey was over two hours). But it is the problem at WAT, and the resulting substantial loss of time both before and after seeing my friend, that matters most. Both LUL and SWT were clearly trying to pass the buck onto the other, which simply delayed me further, and neither seemed to know what to do when put under the spotlight.

Not a happy bunny. Not in the slightest. And yes, I did copy-paste that.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
Ivo The last few lines about that woman did make me snigger (Sorry lol)

Anyway I would suggest writing to LUL and SWT telling them the problem, you had with the ticket and the delays you suffered as a result including being messed around by some staff.

Apart from that I dont really now what else to suggest.

sonic2009

Established Member
The thing i cannot understand is that how can a ticket barrier chuck out a different ticket. :l

Are they new style barriers or old ones on LUL at Waterloo?.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hi Ivo,

You need to split the issues into two completely separate ones. The first one involves LUL and SWT and as far as I can tell is a problem with the LUL barrier which returned the wrong ticket. Did anyone open the barrier to see whether your ticket was inside? If that is basically what happened then surely LUL have to compensate you the most, especially if no attempt was made to retrieve your ticket.

The second issue is delay compensation from FGW. On that aspect you need to weigh up your desire to get compensation against the chances that they will either (a) kick up a stink about the combination of tickets you used, (b) take action to restrict the combination of tickets in the future, or both. If it was me I'd probably chalk that up to experience on the basis that claiming would be a lot of hassle, unless you can pin the delay down to just one of your tickets and only mention that.

Certainly FGW have nothing to do with the Waterloo issue and SWT/LUL have nothing to do with the later issue, so it would be unwise to cloud either letter with the un-necessary details.

Good luck.

Nym

Established Member
But yeah, if it was an LUL barrier I'd definately be complaining to TfL First...

Last edited by a moderator:

Mushtimushta

You're not going to like this, but here goes;
My first piece of advice would be to stick to the point in the letter(s) you write. Your posting has all sorts of extraneous & irrelevant information about your "nightmare" day.
If, as you claim, the ticket you put in the LUL gate at Waterloo wasn't returned to you, you really needed to bring that to the attention of the gateline assistant there and then. I suspect this kind of thing does happen occasionally and the gateline staff have keys to open the ticket handling unit - if your ticket's path had been blocked by the presence of a jammed Surbiton-issued ticket, it could have been retrieved. But in order to do this, you would need to identify which gate you had passed through there and then.
Instead, you went to the Booking Office, but really! - what did you expect them to do? Close their window and accompany you to the gateline so that you could point to the walkway you'd exited through? If they gave out Day Travelcards to everyone who claimed that they'd lost/misplaced/left at home their ticket, LU would go out of business. They were wrong to send you to SWT upstairs, but will probably have assumed that as you had travelled from Reading, you were an SWT customer in terms of ticket purchase, so decided that the problem really wasn't LUL's, but SWT's.
You seem to believe that because you chose to spend over an hour going from pillar to post at Waterloo Mainline that SWT should compensate you for your lost time. Wrong! The loss of your ticket has absolutely nothing to do with SWT and they went above and beyond the call of duty in giving you a ticket to get you back to Reading. You respond by moaning about how slow the service is when compared with FGW from Paddington! Astounding!
I am surprised that whilst you were in Starbucks with your friend, you didn't also ask the barrista to sort out your ticketing problem, because then, you could also include Starbucks in your mailing list for compensation. After all, Starbucks had about as much responsibility for sorting out your ticket replacement as SWT did.
I said you wouldn't like what I had to say.

Ivo

Established Member
The first one involves LUL and SWT and as far as I can tell is a problem with the LUL barrier which returned the wrong ticket. Did anyone open the barrier to see whether your ticket was inside? If that is basically what happened then surely LUL have to compensate you the most, especially if no attempt was made to retrieve your ticket.

They opened a barrier a bit later, but I did not see which one. Either way, there was no NR ticket inside it at all. But the underlying problem was with the LUL barrier. SWT just made things worse - a lot worse.

The second issue is delay compensation from FGW. On that aspect you need to weigh up your desire to get compensation against the chances that they will either (a) kick up a stink about the combination of tickets you used, (b) take action to restrict the combination of tickets in the future, or both. If it was me I'd probably chalk that up to experience on the basis that claiming would be a lot of hassle, unless you can pin the delay down to just one of your tickets and only mention that.

That was my thought as well, and fortunately I can. But the problem with this approach is that I will then be short on time, because the effectively delay becomes less than the minimum their Charter states - and post experience dictates that they will never be interested where that minimum is not met, even during exceptional circumstances. I really can't see why the combination should be a problem though; it's perfectly valid and of course permitted under the NRCoC - and I would only have end up on that same HST anyway.

Good luck.

Thank you. If this had been an Oyster Travelcard issue I would have gone to you first! Although, having said that, it wouldn't have happened with an Oyster :roll:

If, as you claim, the ticket you put in the LUL gate at Waterloo wasn't returned to you, you really needed to bring that to the attention of the gateline assistant there and then. I suspect this kind of thing does happen occasionally and the gateline staff have keys to open the ticket handling unit - if your ticket's path had been blocked by the presence of a jammed Surbiton-issued ticket, it could have been retrieved. But in order to do this, you would need to identify which gate you had passed through there and then.
Instead, you went to the Booking Office, but really! - what did you expect them to do? Close their window and accompany you to the gateline so that you could point to the walkway you'd exited through? If they gave out Day Travelcards to everyone who claimed that they'd lost/misplaced/left at home their ticket, LU would go out of business. They were wrong to send you to SWT upstairs, but will probably have assumed that as you had travelled from Reading, you were an SWT customer in terms of ticket purchase, so decided that the problem really wasn't LUL's, but SWT's.

I did just that. The staff were the ones that led me to the LUL Station Office (which is inside the barrier anyway), claiming I was "a lifesaver" (after someone has lost their own ticket) - but thereafter, things spiralled out of control.

I said you wouldn't like what I had to say.

To be perfectly honest, you're right - because half of it doesn't make sense, and the other half I have already accounted for.

Last edited:

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
However, things went rather wrong upon reaching the London Underground (LUL) concourse. I put my Travelcard in the barrier - and out came a Weekly Travelcard issued at Surbiton that required a photocard! Something was obviously not right here! So, after about two minutes of panicking that I had dropped my ticket and picked up someone else's by mistake, I realised that it was a simple problem with the barrier, so I sought assistance from the staff, who let me through without trouble. From this point on though, it seemed as though nothing could go right.

Is there any more detail about this conversation with gateline staff that you didn't include in your post?

Ivo

Established Member
Is there any more detail about this conversation with gateline staff that you didn't include in your post?

Only that I've mentioned above in my previous message. After that I was led up to the SWT desk by the LUL staff themselves, presumably seeking out the lady with the Surbiton Photocard. It was when they couldn't find her - presumably because she had already been helped and/or left - that things got worse.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
So from this saga as explained, LU staff at Waterloo initially believed that if you just wander up to the mainline ticket office with no written authority, and claim your outboundary travelcard from any random destination has been swallowed by LU's ticket barrier, then SWT will just issue you a free replacement on request.

Seems far to good to be true doen't it? I'm sure LU are the ones mainly at fault here.

I would suggest writing/emailing/phoning the customer services for the TOCs involved, although signalling problems can't be helped as that's NR and not any of the TOCs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ivo

Established Member
What is it with straight people recently? You all in heat or something?

:|

Either way, Ivo, have you considered phoning the TfL Helpine to ask them?

Realistically I can't afford to do that on my PAYG mobile, and have no other means of doing so myself, so I would have to wait until I can use the University phone (they allow it when I need to make non-personal calls) on Wednesday.

I would suggest writing/emailing/phoning the customer services for the TOCs involved, although signalling problems can't be helped as that's NR and not any of the TOCs.

Signalling problems are probably the most common cause of delay! It's still rail industry and therefore compensation is payable. My first ever compensation related to a signal fire at Preston, so VT paid out (in vouchers obviously).

Last edited:
:|

Realistically I can't afford to do that on my PAYG mobile, and have no other means of doing so myself, so I would have to wait until I can use the University phone (they allow it when I need to make non-personal calls) on Wednesday.

Signalling problems are probably the most common cause of delay! It's still rail industry and therefore compensation is payable. My first ever compensation related to a signal fire at Preston, so VT paid out (in vouchers obviously).

And I'm supposed to do that how? You lot are worse than the forum I used to go on!

I've never had to claim for a delay (even commuting on Southeastern!) but signalling is out the TOCs hands - best bet is to contact Network Rail and ask them.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
So you lost your ticket in the machine and wandered about between station offices for hours? - surely if an LU gate munched your ticket it is their problem - not sure what all the other wibble is about! Why will fgw or swt offer any compensation? You need to stand there and kick up a fuss if the gate eats your ticket. A letter now will be off little use. You MAY get some ex gratia payment to keep you sweet but i doubt it.

BUT of more importance is the fact you thought Starbucks was a decent idea for a date - you will never get your end away :)

Last edited:

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Thanks for the PM.

Primarily this issue should have been resolved as soon as it happened by the gateline assistant at Waterloo LUL, all that was required was to open up the barrier and retrieve the lost/damaged ticket. Had that not been possible LUL should have the ability to reissue the ticket or provide appropriate paperwork for SWT to do the same, SWT cannot be expected to provide a replacement ticket via a verbal authority, there must be paperwork in order that SWT can claim back the cost of the ticket from LUL as it is their fault that the ticket was damaged/lost. I just don't understand why LUL would assume that you could get another ticket issued free of charge by SWT without any kind of authority.

If I were you my main complaint would be with LUL, the later delays due to infrastructure issues are an entirely different matter and need to be taken up with FGW.

In answer to your other question, no I have never been trained on 458s and in any case I'm now at Fratton depot and route learning through Hampshire and Dorset!

Ivo

Established Member
Thank you for the response :)

I just thought a response from someone who actually works for SWT may be of use.

455driver

Veteran Member
no I have never been trained on 458s and in any case I'm now at Fratton depot and route learning through Hampshire and Dorset!

Blimey that was a quick transfer, what was the question about 458s, I am trained on them.
PM me if you wish.

Ivo

Established Member
Blimey that was a quick transfer, what was the question about 458s, I am trained on them.
PM me if you wish.

I was simply asking if he (had) ever performed Guard duties on them.

I take it you weren't driving the 1950 to RDG ex-WAT last night? :p

Thank you for the offer. I can't think of anything at present but if anything does come up I will be sure to consider it.

455driver

Veteran Member
No, I was partaking of liquid refreshments last night (and tonight ;)) as I am weekend off.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
PM me if you wish.

You'll have to ask Ivo, he just asked if I knew them. Yes, just started at Fratton this week, learning the road to Poole at the moment!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Ivo, the thing with the barrier spitting out a different ticket; this does happen on occasion and what will have happened is an earlier ticket got stuck in it ( most likely one that should have been swallowed ) and from then on the machine returns the ticket belonging to the person ahead of you. the person behind you very likely ended up with your original Travelcard.

There was a discussion on Tubegroup about this sort of thing last year.

It can take a while to be detected because most people just pick up the returned ticket without checking that it is indeed theirs. Well, why should they expect it not to be?

The only thing to do, really, if this happens is to insist the barrier mechanism is checked immediately.

Now, that doesn't help you regarding yesterday, but as others have said it is the Underground's fault and therefore their responsibility to sort it out.

LE Greys

Established Member
I know this is a bit off-topic, but yestreday was cursed! I was supposed to meet someone for lunch in a bar I really don't like, and only after I had been sitting there for an hour did she get through to me and tell me that the gas man hadn't turned up, so she had to wait at home. Not her fault, but that's the second time she's stood me up. At least she apologised. After that, I headed into town, and the library had none of the books I wanted and all the computers were taken. Everybody I tried to ring was either unavailable or not answering. I also forgot my diary, so had to ring home to get the code to collect some tickets. Then to cap it all, some idiot had parked a ruddy great lorry in the bus stop at the station, and when one bus stopped, I couldn't see a thing and missed mine! <(

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
You are such a tease!

[BTW I haven't read the OP and have no intention of doing so]

Ha I'm sorry!

It seems that the gateline assistant who came to Ivo's assistance passed him through the barrier and then took him to the ticket office. I wondered whether there had been any conversation about retrieving the ticket from the mechanism before leaving, I certainly would have challenged the member of staff to do this.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
There is a procedure set out for a TOC issued ticket lost in a LUL barrier:

Procedure at the LUL station:
The Manual said:
When a loss is reported LUL staff inspect the gate and ticket capture bin in front of the customer. If the ticket cannot be found and if the station supervisor is satisfied the claim is genuine, they will complete a Report of Ticket Lost in UTS Gates form. This form - click here - must be signed by the customer and shows details of the lost ticket.

Wherever possible the ticket will be replaced by the LUL booking office. Examples of tickets which can be replaced are: Travelcards which are only valid within the London Travelcard area.

If LUL cannot replace the ticket the customer will be given the top copy of the Report of Ticket Lost in UTS Gates form to show at a nominated Train Company station, normally the recognised interchange station or to travel to a named station as stipulated on the form. Examples of tickets which cannot be issued by LUL are One-Day Travelcards and Travelcard Season Tickets issued outside the Travelcard area, Single and Return tickets valid to or via London issued by Train Company ticket offices.

Procedure at the Train Company (interchange) station:
The Manual said:
1.Staff MUST ensure that the form has not been altered. A conductor or inspector mark on the form does not count as an alteration.

2.Wherever possible the interchange station must issue the replacement ticket. Examples of tickets which can be replaced 'on demand' by a Train Company (interchange) station are Single and Return tickets; One-Day Travelcards issued at Train Company stations outside the Travelcard area; and Weekly Season Tickets or Travelcards.

3.To issue replacement please refer to the instructions provided by your TIS supplier.

4.‘Other than Weekly Season Tickets and Travelcards’ and ‘Privilege Season Tickets’ cannot be replaced at the (interchange) station:

5.These tickets should normally be replaced at the station where the original ticket was issued, using existing procedures for replacing damaged or "encoding failed" Season Tickets as described in Section N. Use the appropriate replacement ticket stock; if the lost ticket was a Duplicate then use a Duplicate blank. Do not charge the customer in either case. Fill in form RSP 25805/31 (Advice of Replacement of Damaged/Encoding Failed Season Tickets (Other Than Weekly)) and deal with the replacement as shown in Section N. Attach the Report of Ticket Lost in UTS Gates form to the top copy of form RSP 25805/31 and send it to your Field Support Team at the end of the period.

There are two special cases:

The ticket office which issued the original lost ticket is closed when the customer requires are placement Other Than Weekly Season Ticket or Travelcard..
The lost Season Ticket or Travelcard was centrally issued (for example, a business travel service office).
In these cases, another Train Company station will accept the Report of Ticket Lost in UTS Gates form - click here - as an authority to replace the ticket.

The station should try to obtain confirmation of the details of the original Season Ticket from the issuing office while the customer is present.

If confirmation is obtained follow the procedure set out in point 5.

If confirmation cannot be obtained whilst the customer is present then:

Tell the customer that you can only issue a Weekly Season Ticket or Travelcard replacement until the original ticket details have been confirmed.
Issue the Weekly Season Ticket or Travelcard.
Tell the customer to return to the same office within 7 days.
Obtain the details from the issuing office as soon as possible and before the customer returns.
Record the replacement ticket details on the customer record card.
When the customer returns collect the temporary Weekly Season Ticket or Travelcard and issue a replacement ticket following the procedure in point 5 above. If you cannot get confirmation within 7days, tell the customer to buy tickets until confirmation is obtained. A full refund will be given for tickets bought. Ask your local Customer Services Manager for help.
Endorse the Report of Ticket Lost in UTS Gates form with the new replacement ticket details and attach the Weekly Season Ticket/Travelcard, stamped cancelled, that you have collected from the customer.

To obtain this I have not personally accessed said resource.

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Ivo,

Again, a short, honest response. You have no chance.

If a barrier eats your ticket (or whatever it did) and you want it back, you need to ask there and then. A letter will be less than useless to either LUL or SWT as far as compensation is concerned.

Ivo

Established Member
If a barrier eats your ticket (or whatever it did) and you want it back, you need to ask there and then. A letter will be less than useless to either LUL or SWT as far as compensation is concerned.

And how am I supposed to do that if they go off on their own tangent before I even get the chance to? At no stage did they attempt this:

When a loss is reported LUL staff inspect the gate and ticket capture bin in front of the customer.

They went straight to SWT. I saw them open a barrier, but not in relation to my ticket. I suspect this was because I at least had a ticket.

Thereafter, according to what TP has provided SWT did not follow the rules. It clearly says the following:

2.Wherever possible the interchange station must issue the replacement ticket. Examples of tickets which can be replaced 'on demand' by a Train Company (interchange) station are Single and Return tickets; One-Day Travelcards issued at Train Company stations outside the Travelcard area; and Weekly Season Tickets or Travelcards.

At no stage was this ever even mentioned by SWT. It was mentioned by LUL on the other hand - eventually.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Ivo - what is it actually you want out of this?

Compensation? If so, how much?

What else? You haven't actually told us the aim of your complaint.

Status
Not open for further replies.