• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My faith in Wikipedia has been severely shaken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harlesden

I just read this sentence in Wikipedia referring to the North Lincolnshire town of Grimsby.

The award-winning Freshney Place Shopping Centre in the heart of the town boasts over 70 stores including Marks and Spencer, House of Fraser and BHS. It was originally constructed between 1967 and 1971 in a joint venture between the old Grimsby Borough Council and developers Hammerson's UK Ltd.

I lived in Grimsby (from 1962) until 1973 and at the time I left, to move to London, there was no sign of any building/development in the area now occupied by this shopping centre. The buildings and businesses demolished to make way for the shopping centre were still intact and trading in 1973, and there was no sign of the "wholesale demolition of much of the old town centre" in 1973.
The Wikipedia article also makes no mention of the fact that the new shopping centre totally destroyed the once busy shopping area of Freeman Street, in the sense that most of the shops along the street are now unoccupied, with a small shopping centre only built in the mid-1960's now totally abandoned and semi-derelict.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Referencing, isn't it annoying when you know something to be true but you can't reference it!? :roll:

Last edited:

HST Power

Established Member
Wikipedia has been my saviour.

Never had a problem with bogus information and I've used it trillions of times.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Wikipedia has been my saviour.

Never had a problem with bogus information and I've used it trillions of times.

Nor have I, maybe that's because I don't generally read articles that are more likely to contain bias (eg. Political pages).

Status
Not open for further replies.