• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My first e-ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike99

Morning all, I've landed up, for the first time, an e-ticket. Can I print it off ready for travel or does it have to stay in my emails on my phone. Many Thanks for any responses.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Morning all, I've landed up, for the first time, an e-ticket. Can I print it off ready for travel or does it have to stay in my emails on my phone. Many Thanks for any responses.

You can show it in any form that the barcode will scan, be that printed, on your phone or whatever.

Trackman

Established Member
As above, whatever you want.
I usually show the barcode on my phone, sometimes print it off as a back up but normally I have my iPad with me which would act as back up in case my phone conked out.

Argyle 1980

Generally print my Etickets as back up. Last week though I didn't and had to open 3 separate apps for the train manager GWR app for my ticket, seatfrog for my upgrade ticket and the railcard app for my railcard, though being asked for my railcard is a very rare occurrence.

james60059

I always print off and keep it on my phone until I've completed the journey. Whatever you feel comfortable with.

blakey1152

I'd definately print it out. I'm probably not the only one that is a bit paranoid about having an e-ticket on my phone as with my bad luck the phone won't work due to poor reception or they won't be able to scan in any QR code for some obscure reason or of course the dreaded flat battery scenario....much prefer to have an orange credit card sized physical ticket :)

ChrisC

Established Member
I'd definately print it out. I'm probably not the only one that is a bit paranoid about having an e-ticket on my phone as with my bad luck the phone won't work due to poor reception or they won't be able to scan in any QR code for some obscure reason or of course the dreaded flat battery scenario....much prefer to have an orange credit card sized physical ticket :)
I’m exactly the same and have not yet used any rail E-tickets or any form of rail tickets on my phone. I also much prefer a physical ticket although I am fairly confident in using bus tickets issued on smart cards.
I’ve only ever used a mobile ticket once and that was a 7 day Arriva bus ticket about 5 years ago. I had a couple of bad experiences that week with my phone battery and having to delay my journey for an hour whilst sitting in a Costa Coffee shop recharging my phone battery before I could continue my journey.

That bad experience has completely put me off and I have become a bit paranoid about it. I’m going to have to get used to it now that Trent Barton, my local bus company, has discontinued their Mango smart card and replaced it with a phone app. With E-tickets I’m a bit paranoid about ordering one and then the email containing the not arriving or me not being able to download and print it. I really must get used to it and try to gain a bit more confidence and trust in this type of ticketing.

Mike99

As the OP, Some interesting thoughts, thank you. I think in this modern world (which some days I can get my brain into but many days I can't) I'll have it on my phone, print it, email it to myself, upload it, download it, put in the Cloud (whatever that may be) have it on Whatts App, Chatsnap, Facebook, Instagram and anything else that I don't really understand or actually am involved with. As always thanks to everyone responding

ivorytoast28

The other issue I found with E tickets previously was that they weren't valid on the london underground. I don't know if that has since changed but it seemed pretty bad being sold a ticket that required a journey on the underground that tfl gatestaff wouldn't accept

island

Veteran Member
E-tickets are still not accepted on London Underground services, and barring technical errors, a ticket for a journey which includes a London Underground portion will not issue as an e-ticket.

(yes I know there are some oddities but this is the general case)

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Print it , show the PDF on your phone or add it to your Apple or Google wallet. As Status Quo once said Whatever you want.

When I booked the journey to Filey with splits on the LNER website (using the desktop computer), I went to the Travel Buddy app on my phone to add them to Apple Wallet, but it was not functioning.

A workaround I used being as they are PDFs, the Preview app works for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.