• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My first proper meet - Glasgow Daytripper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lesjordans

People who went - Me, Yorkie, Seth, Joy54, Evil-hippo, WSXfan

I finally managed to convince the parents to let me go out alone with folk from the forum, couldn't of been a better meet! I got up really early that morning and got a lift to Garrowhill Station (On the Drumgelloch - Partick run) and met everyone on the back of that train. We went to Partick and got the subway to St Enoch, Walked to Glasgow Central under that bridge (what must the tourists think :s) and a train to Larkhall. At Larkhall station we got out the train and took a couple of pics and got back on the train again. At Hamilton West, 2 Nedettes got on, but remained fairly quiet, thank goodness! Then we went upstairs to the High Level and got an Ardrossan Harbour train, it was packed. Me and Seth sat a bit further up because there was no 8 seats available, and we saw a woman who i swore was a baby factory, she had countless kids following her and sharing seats and a couple of selfish passengers who knew the train was busy put their luggage on the seats, when there was plenty standing. The train freed up about Saltcoats and us two went back to join the rest of the group. At Ardrossan Harbour we got another lot of pictures (inc WSXFan next to the train to prove he's been there - i'll send you when your next on ;)) and got back on the train. The driver wasnt great, we were all boiling hot and the air conditioning wasnt on. Got the train back to Paisley Gilmour st Station and Joy54 left us to go somewhere else. We walked across the town centre to Paisley Canal station and got a 156 into Glasgow Central. Then we all went for something to eat, they were dishing out Free pizza at glasgow central, but it was tiny, there was a big Queue and you would probably have got Salmonella. I went to Mcdonalds with WSXFan while the rest went to the upper class Pizza Hut. I tried taking my Mcdonalds in but got flung out. Then we got ready to board the Kilmarnock train, unfortunately Evil_Hippo had to go home here so we said goodbye to him and got our train, the journey was uneventful except me getting a few pictures. We waited at Kilmarnock for a while until the Stranraer train turned up, the scenery was amazing on that train up the hills. When we got to Stranraer we went to Tesco's for a few bits of food (I got 35p Teeth and Lips - Yum) and we went back to the station where we ate. I took another pic of WSXfan and we got back on the train to glasgow. At Ayr a lot of neds gathered, and couldnt decide for our express train to Glasgow or the Stopper 334, im sure they shose our train but got on the back of the train. Joy54 rejoined the train at Kilwinning having been at other exotic places. At Glasgow we photo'd a 66 and the Sleeper trains, and the Sleeper host was kind enough to let me follow the other lot onto the train to have a look at the berth, they look pretty nice :D, Unfortunately the day was over and my dad picked me up soon after.

Thanks guys for a brilliant meet and I look forward to seeing you lot again someday! I really enjoyed myself :D

Pics can be found at www.lesjordans.fotopic.net

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
T'was a pleasure to meet you too bud!

Thanks for the shots, they came out quite nicely. Wish we'd done a seminar under the Stranraer running-in board now, but too bad, next time, when we do a 37-hauled tour there...

You've got the day well covered there. Things to note are that 66008 had been the loco to drag the night's sleeper cars in, with 90031 providing front-end haulage to London. Of course I need to add my explanation of why I jumped out at Carntyne and back on. Reason is that I wanted to mark off one of the other carriages for haulage too. I could have used the corridor connection, that was true. But where's the fun in that? We were on time anyway, if we'd been late I'd have not risked it. I might have looked a fool, but to be honest, who cares?! I've got the haulage marked off.

I must add my thanks to yorkie for organising the trip! I've got so many new numbers and routes from that trip, I can cut so much out to do on my own now, and my maps look so very much better than they did on Sunday! I've finally finished the WCML, and got some of it done in FC as well, which is fantastic news!

I personally allocate a VFM rating for this trip of a mighty 8.5/10. The value out of the tickets was excellent, and I had so much fun! Would have been 9/10 if the way home from London had been a little better, but never mind.

Thanks again to everyone who came and made it a very memorable trip!

Coxster

Established Member
morgantyreman said:
nice pics but i dont know your password so i can only see the units
They are probably just pictures of people so therefore only people who need to see them will have the password.

Some good photos there!
I remember my first meet last saturday, thanks for a good day out!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Let me know the password for the restricted shots please bud!

I must say, the shot of 66008 and 156437 arriving at Stranraer look cool!

As soon as I can persuade technology to leave the Dark Side and join The Force, I'll have my shots from my HC19E off and ready to go! I've got some crackers like 156437 in Stranraer's trainshed which looks great!

Lesjordans

Done, and thanks :D

i have uploaded 5 more pics in the Public Glasgow meet bit for your viewing pleasure :D

Status
Not open for further replies.