• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My first ride on a 319

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harlesden

I was down the Elephant and I faced a good walk round to the Bakerloo Line station, so I thought why not? I walked through the dilapidated shopping centre to the NR station for a train to St. Pancras International.
I was disappointed with my 319 experience. Even though the train was half empty, it seemed very claustrophobic in comparison to the good old 313's I am accustomed to.
I can now sympathize with rush hour Thameslink passengers who find themselves crammed onto one of these things.
It was rather a relief to arrive at my destination and find myself boarding a 365 as far as Finsbury Park to join a 313 onto the Hertford loop.
Does anyone actually like the 319's?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

talltim

Established Member
I've not travelled on one for at least 10 years, but I did commute to school on them for 5 years, so kinda have a soft spot. I liked the murals on the end walls (was that only on one sub class), but preferred the 317s cos you could stand in the corridor through the cab when used in multiple and watch the speedo

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I've only used a 319 once, between Luton Airport Parkway and London St Pancras. It was an ex-Southern unit and was absolutely filthy. The major point which stick in my head is that the train was incredibly noisy. Overall, for commuter units I didn't find them to be too bad - nothing special.

One other point, I think it's the panelling on the front end, but to me they've always looked dated.

talltim

Established Member
One other point, I think it's the panelling on the front end, but to me they've always looked dated.

If you travelled from Luton Airport Parkway then they would look dated, the newest 319s were at least 9 years old when it opened and they looked dated when new!

ushawk

Established Member
If they get a nice refurb then they would be better units, they are very filthy a lot though.

WestCoast

Established Member
Oooh, I live in Blackpool - apparently we've got these to look forward to

Indeed, they are apparently Northern Rail's future EMU fleet! ;)

Personally, although I haven't exactly travelled extensively on the 319s, I didn't have any strong feelings either way on them. Maybe I have low standards, I am used to worn 142s every day...:lol:

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Indeed, they are apparently Northern Rail's future EMU fleet! ;)

Apparently so! With a heavy refurbishment I don't think they'll be too bad, it depends how much is invested in them. At the moment some of them are looking a little scruffy, inside and out.

b0b

Established Member
I was disappointed with my 319 experience. Even though the train was half empty, it seemed very claustrophobic in comparison to the good old 313's I am accustomed to.

Does anyone actually like the 319's?

I'm a big fan, you probably picked the worst journey to experience a 319 as it barely gets to stretch its legs between E&C and St Pancras.

You also like 319's if you like thrash, power and AC/DC changes at Farringdon. You either need a run from St Pancras to St Albans fast, or London Bridge to Gatwick Airport to really appreciate the 319.

If you're looking for a high quality train, the 319 is not it, its very much a commuter unit. Though personally I prefer them over 314s.

dk1

Veteran Member
Pity on 317/18/19/20/21/22 family they dont sort out them bloody double doors, Every time you pass another train at speed they bang & i take off!!

asylumxl

Established Member
Definitely need to do St Pancras to St Albans. Yes, the doors are crap and make noise every time a train passes, but at speed the noise from the traction equipment is glorious and they can reach a good speed very quickly. I have a soft spot for them cos they're as old as me and I've been using them all my life :D.

dk1

Veteran Member
Definitely need to do St Pancras to St Albans. Yes, the doors are crap and make noise every time a train passes, but at the speed the noise from the traction equipment is glorious and they can reach a good speed very quickly. I have a soft spot for them cos they're as old as me and I've been using them all my life :D.

Will think of you tommorow. Going St.Pan to Watford via City/Abbey to tick off the 2 Wetherspoons :smile:

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Definitely need to do St Pancras to St Albans. Yes, the doors are crap and make noise every time a train passes, but at speed the noise from the traction equipment is glorious and they can reach a good speed very quickly. I have a soft spot for them cos they're as old as me and I've been using them all my life :D.

I'd agree with that, actually. They do seem to have fairly brisk acceleration which is good when you're on an all stations Sunday morning service - helps keep things interesting.

Edvid

Established Member
I think Harlesden gets the message now :lol:

With the right layout (like that of the former Connex Expresses) and a good clean, they're decent units. If travelling First Class, I prefer them to 377s.

I've only used a 319 once, between Luton Airport Parkway and London St Pancras. It was an ex-Southern unit and was absolutely filthy. The major point which stick in my head is that the train was incredibly noisy. Overall, for commuter units I didn't find them to be too bad - nothing special.

To reassure you, there is quite a difference between the worst units (ex Southern suburban) and the better ones (Connex Express and the refurbed FCC untis). As bad luck would have it you seemed to have experienced the tatty end of the spectrum.

I'll admit to having a soft spot for them. If only the seats weren't so low - it makes getting our of them quite a challenge for the less able!

NXEA!

I echo what others have said about the Traction Motors - bloody brilliant. They accelerate really quickly, especially on AC and the Traction Motor's literally scream; sit under the Pantograph between St Pancras and St Albans or East Croydon and Brighton (take care to get a fast service in both cases) with the windows open. The noise is deafening and you can't hear yourself speak at all. I caught the 13.04 from Brighton to Blackfriars on Tuesday, and between there and East Croydon it only called at Haywards Heath, Three Bridges and Gatwick Airport; the 319's screamed the whole way, and it was unexplainably loud as we passed through the tunnels at full speed - the best EMU experience from an enthusiasts point of view by far in my opinion. <D My lordzzzzzzzz. ;) <D

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
A good 319 can certainly go - not bad units really for the work they do - though the noise in summer with all window vents open through Elstree Tunnel at 100mph is uncomfortable (along with the slam as the air pressure shuts them when a passing train whams past)

Good and warm in the winter too.

Hard working trains all round - the FCC ones could do some with proper external cleaning though - this weekend outstabling and odd graffiti attacks doesnt make them look good , but the interiors (bar odd window etching) are pretty decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.