• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My fotopic Sites

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'd just say the same as before, keep at it, keep experimenting. For the photos of the trains at stations try to get as much of the train in as possible, also try different heights/angles and pick the best, but IMO it's probably only worth selecting one pic of each train.

The problem with 'bashing' lines is that it's difficult to also get good photos at the same time, for example Sugar Loaf offers some fantastic views (found this and this today!) but to get photos showing the scenery would require a break of journey, and on a line like the HOW the frequency may not permit that too easily! So no really easy answers there.

Some seem a little out of focus though. Looks like it was a bit overcast and you selected a large aperture (small f/number) to compensate? Might be worth choosing a higher ISO sensitivity instead :idea: :?:

ChrisM

I would get a bigger memory card if possible.
Also what camera do you have?

Dennis

Established Member
This really was a very dull day, this was taken at lunchtime...http://dennis-lance.fotopic.net/p21284089.html - piddling down with rain and dark. Can't remember what camera Jim has but it is fully automatic so I expect the exposure times were long resulting in much camera shake.

I even had to bin a load of my pics (taken with a Fuji F455) for the same reason. However, I am now convinced of the value of a tripod - took some experimental shots in the dark with the camera just resting on the platform or benches, for example http://dennis-lance.fotopic.net/p21284098.html

Looks like a three legged friend is needed.

Regarding the comment about different angles etc, I totally agree but even at the token exchange points, stop time was minimal (and we were running late so it was unreasonable to expect the train to hang around).

Another trip on this line will happen in the future (soup and a stroll perhaps) to try and bash some stations - might even check out the local bus service (if there is any!!!).

Anyway, got another 120 miles of new route to go on my map.

Jim

Established Member
150265 said:
I would get a bigger memory card if possible.
Also what camera do you have?

Kodak Easy Share C300 (Think :!: )

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah, I think to get really great photos you have to just forget line bashing and go on a seperate trip (Unless you are on lines with frequent services, but sods law the most scenic lines you can't do that with!).

As for a tripod, I need one too, preferably light and easy to carry but also decent. I don't mind paying a bit but I need it to be highly portable. Anyone got any ideas?

Craig

Established Member
yorkie said:
As for a tripod, I need one too, preferably light and easy to carry but also decent. I don't mind paying a bit but I need it to be highly portable. Anyone got any ideas?
In my experience they're fairly pointless for most of my day to day rail photography. Whenever I would use one I can usually find something else to use (fence, seat, wall, etc.). For the odd occasion I do need one I have a small table top tripod, similar to this. I also have a medium sized tripod similar to this, but it hardly ever gets used.

Dennis

Established Member
Small and light would certainly be my philosophy regarding a tripod - as long as it holds the camera still on those occasions where lighting is poor.

Certainly don't want anything too heavy - it's bad enough carrying around timetables, blue book, beer and food!

Status
Not open for further replies.