• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My idea for electrification of the West of England Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
12 car trains between Weymouth and Poole!? Are they really going to be neccesary?
Only in SpacePhoenix's own future vision. He's been asking about it for about 3 ½ years now. It doesn't rate a mention in anything realistic such as the route study, which goes up to 2043.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Only in SpacePhoenix's own future vision. He's been asking about it for about 3 ½ years now. It doesn't rate a mention in anything realistic such as the route study, which goes up to 2043.

That was just an example, i don't know if the platform at Weymouth could handle 12 cars anyway

@swt_passenger do you know of any other examples where available power supplies prevent every train from being the maximum length allowed by signalling and platform lengths (where ASDO isn't available)?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
@swt_passenger do you know of any other examples where available power supplies prevent every train from being the maximum length allowed by signalling and platform lengths (where ASDO isn't available)?
The entire "Southern" DC network is limited by power supplies to a certain extent. The power NR provide is closely matched to the present expected train service, and NR have been playing catchup ever since the post privatisation trains commenced delivery. It's why all the Desiros run around software limited, and there are even stretches where additional limitations are applied by the driver as he goes along.

The Weymouth line gets all the public discussion but it certainly isn't unique, I really don't know why you keep going on about it. At the stage where longer trains are definitely needed for that service, then there is no practical reason why it wouldn't be upgraded, but it will take its place in the overall priorities. The Reading line has recently been upgraded for longer trains running at 4 tph as an example. The enhancements plans include a number of power supply increase projects for Kent, Sussex and Wessex areas.

Kettledrum

Whilst I see all the benefits of electrification, one of the disadvantages, is that it uses money than then can't be spent on other priority areas. In the case of the West of England line, would you prefer to spend the money on more double tracking or passing loops? I certainly would, if it makes the services more resilient.

greatkingrat

Established Member

I believe there are still restrictions on the number of units allowed on the Kings Lynn branch at any one time because of power limitations.

urbophile

Established Member
Italy has been struggling economically for far longer than the UK. Yet just about every significant part of the national rail network has been electrified for many years. Why should it be so unthinkable in Britain?

coppercapped

Established Member
Italy has been struggling economically for far longer than the UK. Yet just about every significant part of the national rail network has been electrified for many years. Why should it be so unthinkable in Britain?
Maybe it is struggling economically because it has electrified just about every significant part of the network...? <D

(Historical note: There were, and are, very few coal reserves in Italy. Most of the coal that is there is in Sardinia and is not of a high quality. Finding a more efficient way to fuel the railway than burning it in locomotives was essential).

Last edited:

nickswift99

Have you ever been on an Italian train? Other than their high speed services, you’ll find the standard of their stock well below that of the UK and most of their stations make ours look palatial.

I had the delights of surburban services is Rome. No air conditioning, graffiti inside and out and vinyl seats in the middle of August. Fares were cheap though.

Even the Leonardo Express (Direct service from Fiumicino Airport to Termini) is poor. Max speed 75mph, 2 trains an hour and premium ticket prices - just like the Gatwick Express :)

The Ham

Established Member
Whilst I see all the benefits of electrification, one of the disadvantages, is that it uses money than then can't be spent on other priority areas. In the case of the West of England line, would you prefer to spend the money on more double tracking or passing loops? I certainly would, if it makes the services more resilient.

I would hope that now double tracks would happen prior to electrification, as once the wires go up then the track layout is much more likely to be fixed.

It's part of the reason why I've suggested that the wires only reach Yeovil and then have one through DMU service every two hours (maybe two every three hours or one every hour if there's 2tph to Exeter) with the other services requiring a cross platform change at Yeovil to an EMU to/from London.

As that would give time to build more double track west of Yeovil and could also give time for the wires to reach Exeter from Reading, which would then mean that there's a business case to wire up the local services as well. Which then splits the costs of the wires at the junctions in Exeter between a few projects. It could also split the cost of the grid connections and/or allow power supplies to come from other lines.

Although it would be a bit of a coup for the WofE line to have wires to Exeter first, it would mean a lot of extra costs (including wires to the sidings) which otherwise could be split.

It also allows there to be thought as to if there could be through trains to Okehampton, or (in time) even Plymouth, as even just a couple of peak hour services could make a big difference, especially given the current services from Barnstaple don't really serve morning commuters heading to Exeter. Given that the 08:23 to Waterloo starts at Exeter it could be possible to run that from Okehampton without the need for extra stock.

HowardGWR

Established Member
What annoys me about this thread is the title and then the OP talks about rolling stock and none of the subjects are 'his idea' either. I can't get the sense of what we are supposed to be discussing here.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
What annoys me about this thread is the title and then the OP talks about rolling stock and none of the subjects are 'his idea' either. I can't get the sense of what we are supposed to be discussing here.
Agree, hence my post #14. It's one of those tedious topics that comes up every few months, I don't know why the answers would ever change.

Network Rail 'suggested it' fairly officially in the 2009 electrification RUS, my idea is that it was their idea... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.