• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My issue with G4S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bellwater

Do G4S do the security for EMT? some trains on the robin hood line in the evening have a 'bouncer' in each carriage?

They work for STM Security and also work on Nottingham and Skegness stations. They're pretty good and don't tend to overstep the mark.. When I've had fights on they've sorted it quickly.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
I don't mind the G4S people too much, but I expect a person doing their job to know the basic information they will commonly need, and to know where to get, and actually get, other less-used information. It is unacceptable for someone to assume they know everything and be unwilling to check with a colleague.

Bellwater

As a passenger, it's great fun seeing this happen. Especially when the fare dodger realises they chose a seat next to "the ticket man".

When I have Revenue on I don't announce they are on.. Instant cockiness remover from Students.

Bellwater

Nope, the majority I come across are though.

With me its 'home counties accent'" uh I have my railcard at home I can prove it" etc etc.

With revenue its £20 or 2xStandard Fare, lol.

Nym

Established Member
Nope, the majority I come across are though.

With me its 'home counties accent'" uh I have my railcard at home I can prove it" etc etc.

With revenue its £20 or 2xStandard Fare, lol.

I will grant you most are like that, and I am ashamed sometimes to be in the same social group as some of the idiots I have to share lecture space with.

But if one can't follow the simple instructions on a railcard saying; "To be carried on all rail journeys" then should this person be allowed into University?

Minilad

Established Member
Don't take this personally, but I have always wondered why plain clothes staff dress like 'chavs', rather than dress like the 'normal' people on the train.

The last one I met was on a commuter train at 7:30 in the morning who was dressed like they were on the way to a football match, whilst everyone else on the train was in a suit & tie.

Usually I don't bother, but I did with the football hooligan lookalike.

Not really happy with the implied suggestion that anyone going to a football match is a hooligan. And what does a football hooligan look like.
Leaving that aside. The guys shift probably lasted a lot longer than that one train so his dress wouldn't look so out of place during later journeys

Prodigy

I guess none of you have met the G4S lot at Manchester Victoria then? Disgrace.

A few are okay, but the majority of them have no clue what they're doing. I get annoyed how they all just hang around in like groups of 4 when barriers can be manned by 2 people, or even 1. They need to stop doing that and cover all exits..

PTF62

Not really happy with the implied suggestion that anyone going to a football match is a hooligan.

I suppose it depends on your definition of hooligan is. Mine includes people who get onto a quiet saturday morning train full of families with children on the way shopping, and treat everyone else like they don't exist, and carry on shouting and swearing at each other. And since these people are usually on the way to a football match...

And what does a football hooligan look like.

Usually like an 8 month pregnant bloke in a replica football shirt.

Leaving that aside. The guys shift probably lasted a lot longer than that one train so his dress wouldn't look so out of place during later journeys

It would have taken 6 days for him to fit in.

Established Member
I'm not sure which station G4S are the worst - I've had problems with them at Man Pic, Man Vic and Wigan Wallgate, and have heard of other stories about them as well.

I'd much rather Northern employed and trained their own staff to do the work, and put them in uniforms, rather than subcontracting the work out.

Established Member
Was a fun day in plain clothes, worked well - the two of us caught a few, we were travelling, and a pile of uniformed staff were waiting at the following station to take off the ones we'd stopped. To be fair, it should happen more often, but many of the regulars recognised us... I think I need a new disguise. Scuba gear next time? Someone tried Father Christmas during the festive season, but it doesn't look professional getting done by the man in red himself ;)

Nym

Established Member
Was a fun day in plain clothes, worked well - the two of us caught a few, we were travelling, and a pile of uniformed staff were waiting at the following station to take off the ones we'd stopped. To be fair, it should happen more often, but many of the regulars recognised us... I think I need a new disguise. Scuba gear next time? Someone tried Father Christmas during the festive season, but it doesn't look professional getting done by the man in red himself ;)

Why don't you try chromed cowboy boots and chaps in August, you might fit in then round Piccadilly Gardens and on one day at Saint Peters Sq.

Try growing some face fungus or dressing very differently perhaps?

(Or prosicute the persistant offenders... )

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Ah, Manchester Victoria G4S staff. I was once coming down from the MEN Arena McDonald's one Saturday morning after having breakfast there when my train had arrived, but at the foot of the stairs was asked for a valid ticket! I was able to flash my Priv and he didn't ask to see a ticket (which I had), but if you'd been up there for breakfast solely I don't know what you'd say, would 'I just had breakfast' be a valid answer?!

Thomas6187

I have. They're better than Piccadilly.

It's the same set of staff who cover the whole of Manchester.

I work at Piccadilly, for Northern, and G4S are a major pain in my a**e when it comes to how they deal with the passengers. Whether it's giving out wrong information or the general attitude when standing around on the platform. You wouldn't believe, or maybe you would, how much the complaints have gone up since G4S started wearing the Northern uniform

6Gman

Established Member
I suppose it depends on your definition of hooligan is. Mine includes people who get onto a quiet saturday morning train full of families with children on the way shopping, and treat everyone else like they don't exist, and carry on shouting and swearing at each other. And since these people are usually on the way to a football match...

On Thursday it was a woman effing and blinding her way up and down a 158.

Who had been spectating "the sport of Kings".

syorksdeano

I remember quite clearly one occasion where plain clothes revenue guys travelled on the same train as me. They did the ticket check and what they needed to do, and sat down opposite me before we got to the next station.

Anyway this person gets on and sits down and then turns around saying "no-one ever checks the tickets on this train, that's why I like getting it", so there is me with the Metro newspaper getting higher and higher to hide away the fact I was about to giggle.

Anyway as soon as the train moved the revenue guy stands up and produces id and asks people to have tickets ready for inspection...........their jaw hit the floor faster than a Northern Rail gearbox on a 142.

I can see why they do this and I know of quite a few services where they should carry out checks but for some reason don't, but as for the G4S guys at Manchester Piccadilly, then some of them need a few lessons in how to speak to people

plannerman

Ah, Manchester Victoria G4S staff. I was once coming down from the MEN Arena McDonald's one Saturday morning after having breakfast there when my train had arrived, but at the foot of the stairs was asked for a valid ticket! I was able to flash my Priv and he didn't ask to see a ticket (which I had), but if you'd been up there for breakfast solely I don't know what you'd say, would 'I just had breakfast' be a valid answer?!

Whenever I park the car at the MEN carpark before an event, I always go into town for food - maybe I go the wrong way but I always end up coming down the stairs into the station and exit through the gateline. I've never had any problems going through, just saying I've come from the arena does the trick.

Cundy66

So if they harassing non northern pax in theory traveling with TPE you get stopped and asked to see ticket you could ask for id and they would show a SIA id and you could say your security can i see you rail authority id to which they would say we working for northern you in theory could say right I've travelled with TPE this is a network rail station I shall show my ticket to either TPE staff or the station company being network rail not someone working on behalf of a company i haven't travelled with nor operates the station.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
So if they harassing non northern pax in theory traveling with TPE you get stopped and asked to see ticket you could ask for id and they would show a SIA id and you could say your security can i see you rail authority id to which they would say we working for northern you in theory could say right I've travelled with TPE this is a network rail station I shall show my ticket to either TPE staff or the station company being network rail not someone working on behalf of a company i haven't travelled with nor operates the station.

There is no distinction in the bylaws between different TOCs with regards to ticket powers. Therefore if you are asked by a Northern employee or contractor to show your ticket you must do so (regardless of whether you have used their services), else commit an offence.

Cundy66

There is no distinction in the bylaws between different TOCs with regards to ticket powers. Therefore if you are asked by a Northern employee or contractor to show your ticket you must do so (regardless of whether you have used their services), else commit an offence.

Ok my theory is no longer good job my job is not a theorist I'd be wrong all time.

Its a good job there are members that are more in the know I'm currently reading NRCoC where can I get a copy of railway by laws?

Status
Not open for further replies.