• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My journey during the Euston weekend closures

Status
Not open for further replies.

frodshamfella

Established Member
I had to travel to London yesterday as I had tickets to see a matinee at 2.30pm. So this was my experience, I didn't use what any of the train company web sites offered me which were quite bizarre routes, I'm sure one had me arrive at Waterloo somehow!

I travelled 0852 Runcorn to New Street, walked over to Moor Street and then went on an excellent Chiltern Railways mainline service to Marylebone at 1055. I was most impressed very comfortable plenty of space, ok no refreshments were available as there isn't on London Northwestern but otherwise I preferred it to Virgins first class! Marylebone is also so much nicer than Euston to arrive at.

On the return I had planned to take the 1840 from Marylebone to Moor Street, but as I arrived early I jumped on the 1813 thinking I might just get home earlier than 2224 that I was expecting. This service was not a Chiltern Mainline but no matter it didn't hang around so I was hopeful.

Briskly walked over to New Street having just missed the 20.01 to Runcorn. What really surprised me was that was the last train to Liverpool from Birmingham on a Saturday night. So the only option I had was to travel at 21.03 to Tamworth changed there to pick up a Virgin service to Runcorn and onward to Liverpool. I wasn't alone either a lot of people did this change (a connection via Stafford was cancelled also) but it was still to make the same Virgin Liverpool train. More got on at Stafford Crewe and Runcorn at 2224 where I left it.

Did seem to me a pretty poor evening service from Birmingham to Liverpool on a Saturday night 8PM was the last !
By the way I would have done all this from and to Acton Bridge, worked fine going down same train in fact that I boarded at Runcorn but again Acton Bridges Saturday night service is appalling.

Anyway the show was excellent so worth the effort !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Glad to hear the Chiltern services weren't wedged out :)

8pm does seem an early finish to Liverpool, but there must be a reason for it

frodshamfella

Established Member
Glad to hear the Chiltern services weren't wedged out :)

8pm does seem an early finish to Liverpool, but there must be a reason for it

They Did a good job Chiltern well prepared for extra passengers, the trains seemed long too, although I don't know what they normally are.

Status
Not open for further replies.