• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My little trip around the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel

Established Member
Having done the same journey as Tom, (GNER FC HST KGX-Dundee and VT FC Pendo GLC-EUS, both my first times in FC on each operator), I'd have to agree that VT is better. Free WiFi and it'd be perfect.. well, maybe if you could shove a 37 engine in somewhere... ;)

However, GNER FC is extremely posh! Definitely the impression wanted to be given about Rail Travel. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

class 313

Established Member
Having done the same journey as Tom, (GNER FC HST KGX-Dundee and VT FC Pendo GLC-EUS, both my first times in FC on each operator), I'd have to agree that VT is better. Free WiFi and it'd be perfect.. well, maybe if you could shove a 37 engine in somewhere... ;)

However, GNER FC is extremely posh! Definitely the impression wanted to be given about Rail Travel. :)

Don't you get free Wifi in FC on GNER mallard sets and the refurbished HST sets? And seeing as GC, EMT, and the new East Coast franchise are advertising free Wi-Fi for all customers... And isn't there free Wi-Fi on Southern 377s? I remember reading those pink stickers on one of the doors...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'd really like to try a FGW Pullman restaurant service TBH, as they appear to be very good.

Like I say, GNER is just FAR too overpriced, especially for tickets, compared with other TOCs like VWC, and the GNER staff aren't the friendliest ever people i've seen.

MML Staff are very nice, and Hull Trains staff are both friendly and professional.

Good luck getting on a FGW Pullman service. It's now down to just one from Plymouth to Paddington on Monday to Friday mornings only I believe. Which is a great shame. Always loved my travels on the 1130 Swansea - Paddington with the Pullman service on board. Wasn't cheap but it was always enjoyable.

Totally agreed with you re: GNER, most especially on staff. Mind you, I've yet to meet anyone up in the North East who was friendly. Even the arrogant people on FGW seem positively chirpy compared to the population in Newcastle!

Craig, you're welcome to the tosspots better known as GNER. I feel sorry for you, as you've no choice if you want to go to London without going far out of your way.

T

Tom

There's no free wifi on Southern - no way to enact it due to the way FC is laid out on 377s.

devon_metro

Established Member
Good luck getting on a FGW Pullman service. It's now down to just one from Plymouth to Paddington on Monday to Friday mornings only I believe. Which is a great shame. Always loved my travels on the 1130 Swansea - Paddington with the Pullman service on board. Wasn't cheap but it was always enjoyable.

Totally agreed with you re: GNER, most especially on staff. Mind you, I've yet to meet anyone up in the North East who was friendly. Even the arrogant people on FGW seem positively chirpy compared to the population in Newcastle!

Craig, you're welcome to the tosspots better known as GNER. I feel sorry for you, as you've no choice if you want to go to London without going far out of your way.

0655 Plymouth - Paddington
1803 Paddington - Plymouth

voyagerdude220

Established Member
0655 Plymouth - Paddington
1803 Paddington - Plymouth

Liam, I was thinking that there was a Plymouth bound evening Pullman service at the moment, so thanks for confirming my thought.

Edit: What about these other services?

Pullman breakfast is available on the following services:
06.30 Swansea to Paddington
06.55 Plymouth to Paddington

Pullman Lunch and Dinner is available on the following services:
12.00 Plymouth to Paddington
12.05 Paddington to Plymouth
15.00 Plymouth to Paddington
18.03 Paddington to Plymouth
19.05 Paddington to Plymouth

Pullman Dining services are open to all ticket holders although on busy services priority is given to First Class ticket holders. Please contact the Pullman Service Leader when you board to request a table in the restaurant. Pullman Dining services do not operate on weekends or public holidays.

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Totally agreed with you re: GNER, most especially on staff. Mind you, I've yet to meet anyone up in the North East who was friendly.
Don't suppose you had the (rather nice) lady conductor on the 1700 edinburgh-kings cross on monday 29th then.. not only was she friendly but she was definatly worth a second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth look..... ;)

Coxster

Established Member
So everyone in the town and on the station were rude to you were they, or are they just all meant to acknowledge your presence with a bow/curtsey?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
So everyone in the town and on the station were rude to you were they, or are they just all meant to acknowledge your presence with a bow/curtsey?

Re-read what I said before. Out of everyone I met (this means, for definition purposes within this thread, retail staff, catering staff, GNER staff (bar drivers, the one I spoke to at Newcastle was more friendly than the rest of the company combined IMX)). The only exceptions (of which I've only just recalled) were the little newsagent's shop-thing by the cash machines on the station and the police officer later on who told me where the bus stop I required was. Everyone else I saw around the place were the most miserable buggers around, as if the Depression had returned. The Scottish passenger at Durham much later into the evening was a friendly chap, fair play to him. But he didn't have to live in the dump known as the North East I suppose, so there we go.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Liam, I was thinking that there was a Plymouth bound evening Pullman service at the moment, so thanks for confirming my thought.

Edit: What about these other services?

Pullman breakfast is available on the following services:
06.30 Swansea to Paddington
06.55 Plymouth to Paddington

Pullman Lunch and Dinner is available on the following services:
12.00 Plymouth to Paddington
12.05 Paddington to Plymouth
15.00 Plymouth to Paddington
18.03 Paddington to Plymouth
19.05 Paddington to Plymouth

Pullman Dining services are open to all ticket holders although on busy services priority is given to First Class ticket holders. Please contact the Pullman Service Leader when you board to request a table in the restaurant. Pullman Dining services do not operate on weekends or public holidays.

Hmm, I hadn't seen any of those advertised in any way, shape or form. I know it definately used to exist on the 1905 PAD - PLY, as I did the Pullman on it once. Great time that was. I was informed it had been knocked back to just the one in the morning from Plymouth, but I shall make enquiries and find out.
Don't suppose you had the (rather nice) lady conductor on the 1700 edinburgh-kings cross on monday 29th then.. not only was she friendly but she was definatly worth a second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth look..... ;)

No, unfortunately not. Must be a rare exception to the rule!

devon_metro

Established Member
The only pullman services are:

0655 Ply - Pad
1803 Pad - Ply
1903 Pad - Ply

All origininating from Penzance. I've a feeling all of the others were scrapped.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I know the South Wales ones were due to be canned. Was usually pretty popular on that route, still a shame that they've gone. The end of decent catering on much of GW really, bar the few remaining examples.
I think it did return while you were in the area.

Ah well, never mind...

Jord

I seen on my Tyne Valley trip last month a good looking Woman Guard lol

TheSlash

Established Member
You probably emptied the air reservoir and had to wait for the compressor to fill it up again.
More likely jammed the relay shut.
PS there used to be times when i thought about altering the teeth situation for you ;)
8-)

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Bout GNER, hmmm don't know why, it seems they pick on Julian then! lol

TBH I've had no problems with the guard, had one who was cheery to London (at stupid O clock in the morning as well), and a few others the same. Funnily enough, never had a guard come up to me from York all the way to London (H-O as well).

Ascot

Established Member
Best place in Fort William for food is the chippy in the main high street with the seats on the right hand side. Nice Sausage n Chips walking along the water front in the evening.

omega3

cuz i'm veg
i don't know what the **** i'm doing here tbh.

nah i just thguht i'd see how the whole RUK crew are doing...
Oi tom.
i want gen.

Coxster

Established Member
i want gen.
Let me see what I have here. Errrm, here we are! 2C46 (16:03 Exeter to Penzance 19:29) has been cancelled due to a member of train crew being unavailable. Don't worry worry though, buses will be arranged from Saltash, St. Germans and Menheniot. Not quite what you were after? :-P

Status
Not open for further replies.