• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My method for recording IET Haulage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar46016

If travelling on an IET I record as haulage only the set I'm travelling in for mileage, but also seperate if out between diesel and electric.

Anyone else do anything any different?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mills444

Hi I note down all the ones that make up the train and don't differentiate between electric and diesel.
do you do the same on class 73s then?

Oscar46016

Good point - for a 73 I just class it as haulage behind a 73.
If I’m on a smut I only count the unit I’m on, on the other one that forms part of the train.
For hst I count each power car - but not if one is a dud!

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
If travelling on an IET I record as haulage only the set I'm travelling in for mileage, but also seperate if out between diesel and electric.

Anyone else do anything any different?

Illogical. If you were on a loco-hauled train which was double-headed you would surely count both locos for haulage. When you ride a train formed of more than one unit both are contributing tractive effort to the train so both should count for mileage. If not then you are acting as though they are not coupled. And why bother separating diesel and electric on an IET? Both supply electricity which is fed to the motors that actually cause the wheels to turn. If you want to be extreme then when being powered by a conventional electric train, whether loco or unit, should you not attempt to establish which power station is actually generating the electricity in the OHLE/3rd rail? Each to their own of course but do have a think about it!

pdeaves

Established Member
It seems bizarre to include both HST power cars but only one unit in their respective trains. If you do just the unit you're on, how about doing individual carriages (bearing in mind that some are not powered)? Of course, it's your hobby and you are at liberty to record whatever you want to!

ash39

Established Member
The simplest rule to understand, and the one I follow - if it is contributing to the propulsion of the train in any way, it counts.

ash39

Established Member
Would that not rule out non-powered vehicles in multiple units?

I only record the unit number(s) as a whole anyway, but yes it would get a bit more tricky if breaking down into individual vehicles.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Would that not rule out non-powered vehicles in multiple units?

It is easy enough to get round that by using a different indication in one's Combined Volume for powered and non-powered.

For myself I use (P) for a powered haulage ( P meaning Pulled or Propelled ) and (R) for carriages and trailer units ( R for Ridden ). If you do any Sleeper trains you could go further and add (S) for any carriage in which you have had a berth to sleep in. I find just now that I have 27 of note (R)(S) for the Mk3 Sleepers - and that's after getting a lot of duds as well, plus I know I have had (S) for some of those that are no longer on the books...!!!

Rover

In the 1980s on locomotive-hauled trains I decided to note down the number of each coach I travelled in. After a while I realised that if I got up and moved into the next coach I could double the number of coaches I scored. Then I would move into the next coach. It wasn't long before I was moving along the train in order to sit in every coach for a short period.

I was sitting in a seat for a couple of minutes, getting up and moving to the next vehicle, then getting up and moving to the next ticking each coach off as I went and getting funny looks along the way.

I was then contemplating noting down the seat number I sat in in every coach which would have eventually lead me to moving from one seat to the next as I travelled along. I soon realised this was starting to get out of hand and I was becoming obsessed with it so I decided to discontinue this quest. I'm pleased I did, I still have my sanity - just.

djpontrack

In the 1980s on locomotive-hauled trains I decided to note down the number of each coach I travelled in. After a while I realised that if I got up and moved into the next coach I could double the number of coaches I scored. Then I would move into the next coach. It wasn't long before I was moving along the train in order to sit in every coach for a short period.

I did this on loco hauled trains too. I would wait until it started moving and then walk through the train and tick off the coaches as having travelled in.

Status
Not open for further replies.