• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My model railway - updates and the like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter C

Established Member
Hello all,
Having watched a lot of Barrie Davis' YouTube videos, I decided that I would love to be able share my layout, engines, and projects with others. You might find it interesting, you might not. If anyone feels as though this is such a boring topic that it is not worthy of a thread, please let me know.

I thought I might as well start off by giving you some basic info on my layout. Here it is.

I started my model railway in November 2016 and used the Hornby TrakMat as a base for the trackwork (I put it on a baseboard). My Starter Set was the GWR Passenger Freight by Hornby - and I still have all of the components today (albeit they are in different places).

I have taken up the track and relaid it a few times in these three years, but all of my track layouts have used the standard Hornby oval track design on my 6' by 4' baseboard.

I have a few engines, and use DCC with a Hornby Elite controller which I've had for about a year. Some of my engines are currently non-operational, mainly due to motor issues. However, these are slightly cheaper or older engines and they are not high on my list of getting locos fixed.

The current layout consists of a station with two relatively large platforms, a Traction Maintenance Depot, two running lines, and a tunnel (which is under construction). The two running lines, however, only really ever operate as just one running line and a siding, as I don't have much space to store my engines and coaching stock off-layout.

Hope this is interesting for people. I am willing to answer questions about my layout and provide photos if people are interested in this small layout.

-Peter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
Update:

The heat recently has not affected the railway too much. However, the Hornby "King" King Edward II did make some funny noises over one section of the track, so a small temporary speed restriction has been put in place in this area. This area is one which has been in direct sunlight when we have had it.
The GBRf Class 50 has been used on some testing trains after the heat last week to ensure that the rails have not expanded too much and that they are not buckling. This may sound stupid, but my layout is in the conservatory and it gets very warm! If it can happen to the rail railway, it can happen to my models!
The Class 47 and 50 have been stabled in the Traction Maintenance Depot for a while. However, due to a suspected track defect in the Depot Reception, they may not be leaving for a while!

-Peter

Peter C

Established Member
Hello all,
In case any of you are interested, I have created a new blog for all of my railway-related thoughts and ramblings. The link can be found at the bottom of this forum post.
Please feel free to comment and question what I have said!
This blog will be a replacement for this thread.

Forum admins, please feel free to lock this thread!

-Peter

My blog: https://petersrlyblog.blogspot.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.