• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My New First Website

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeholmes

Hey Guys,

I have created a DAILY UPDATED, new website about First Group... and more specially, there trains at the west

www.freewebs.com/firstgreatwestern

Enjoy, and the website is still in the early days so as much feedback as possible would be GREATLY appreciated.

Many Thanks and enjoy

J.Holmes

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Met Driver

Established Member
The layout is good, however those photos don't look like your own material to me. If this is the case, do you have permission from the author(s) to host the images?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It appears some of the content is not your own, but it's not made clear. I can't find any credits on there.

The other problem is anyone viewing the site in anything less than full-screen 1024*768 will not see the menu bar unless they scroll across the screen.

I suggest you make it clear when you're using quotes and state the source of the quote, and ensure all the contributors to the site are credited.

Ben

Joe Holmes in Partnership with FGW

no offence but i dont think thats quite true

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Clicking on 'Class 165/166' goes to a page that isn't related to Class 165/166s & you're missing a few apostrophes. :D

The Snap

Established Member
Am I missing somthing here? All I get on the site is a big pic of a HST, and a bit of welcome text. Are there more pages? :?: :)

Met Driver

Established Member
RichardH said:
Am I missing somthing here? All I get on the site is a big pic of a HST, and a bit of welcome text. Are there more pages? :?: :)

You may find the links on the right hand side of the home page useful in finding the other pages.

;)

ChrisM

Think it could do with a little more information on the services they operate.
If the site is going to be FGW based then people should be able to view as much information about FGW and their trains,services,stations etc as possible IMO.

Craig

Established Member
150265 said:
Think it could do with a little more information on the services they operate.
If the site is going to be FGW based then people should be able to view as much information about FGW and their trains,services,stations etc as possible IMO.
Something similar to the North Wales Coast Website would be interesting:
http://www.page27.co.uk/nwales/

Although doing something similar for the entire FGW network is probably a bit ambitious.

The Snap

Established Member
Seth said:
RichardH said:

You may find the links on the right hand side of the home page useful in finding the other pages.

:roll:

Ah, I couldn't see it as I need to scroll across to make them visable, I didn't realise that the page needed to be scrolled right. ;)

Julian G

Established Member
158 said:

i think joe has shares with fgw, it looks like it :shock:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
RichardH said:
Ah, I couldn't see it as I need to scroll across to make them visable, I didn't realise that the page needed to be scrolled right. ;)
I did point that out earlier. ;) But yes, point proven: the site needs to be more accessible.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
1288gaje said:
158 said:

i think joe has shares with fgw, it looks like it :shock:

GREAT WESTERN TRAINS COMPANY LIMITED is a private limited company so ordinary members of the public can't buy shares in it, you have to be invited.
However anyone can buy shares in FIRSTGROUP PLC.

joeholmes

I am In Partnership With FGW. My dad does the First Group shares booklet thingy...

I have edited it so all the copyright stuff is legal

Edited to meet standards at 18.29.

Enjoy thje website

Joe

joeholmes

Give me a break, geese....

Ok Ive borrowed a few things from Joe Patricks website..

AND IVE made my own things up too

Joe Patrick has his website for the whole of UK trains, and is doing a grand job of it...

Im Doing a website Dedicated to FIRST GREAT WESTERN only...

So No I Havent re-themed
Railways Online
OK

Thanks Again For You Kind Comments... If I can call them Kind

Joe

Guinness

Established Member
Joe you need to understand the concept of Copyrighting. Always read the TOS of each website (Which I failed to do a week ago or so) and email people if you unsure!

But remember to credit people!

joeholmes

If you could re-read the website now....

You can see that mojo and I have worked together on this and I HAVE credited him where need be

:D

Joe

joeholmes

Thanks Again to Joe Patrick for all his help with my website...

Just to re-update you, i have a new domain....

www.firstgreatwestern.tk

enojy, and please keep the comments flowing, thats the only way ill learn :D:D

Joe

T

Tom

Your site is just a clone of Railways Online basically with different design... :|

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
All Services this morning are running to time and keeping a full advertised service.

LOL. Yeah right!

joeholmes

tubechallenger said:
Your site is just a clone of Railways Online basically with different design... :|

Well Ok TC its not really... but if you feel I should alter a few things to make my own... well i'll do it this week-end.

Thanks For the comment and Im now back to the drawing board

Joe

T

Tom

It would look better if it was a section on Railways Online IMO if you're using all that material. If you are wanting your own site, use your own material like we are attempting for the main RailUK site.

joeholmes

TC, I said I will get onto it... lol

Thanks for you help, i will be working on it over the week-end USING MY OWN MATERIAL..... Its still a work in progress untill further notice...

Many Thanks

And for those who care....... i will provide updates here :D:D

Joe

joeholmes

Guys,

Now, You want an interesting website,

I beg of your help... What do you want to see in my website,

Like the history of the GWML, stations etc etc

This is your time to tell

Please I want expert tips her

Many thanks

joe
ps. I promise to make the info my own....

Met Driver

Established Member
joeholmes said:
Like the history of the GWML, stations etc etc

If your site is going to feature things along those lines, wouldn't it be better just to assist with the RailUK main site (not that you are under any obligation to)?

joeholmes

The website is a school project, i'd to help but its up to you guys wether u want me.....

Now for the website.... what yall all want...

Met Driver

Established Member
joeholmes said:
I would more than love to provide a link, but i (for school ICT GCSE reasons) would prefer too keep the Domain as it is.... well thats what my teacher suggests...

When did I say anything about changing the Domain? :?

ChrisM

joeholmes said:
Now... What do you guys want on the site
More photos with information on the type of trains they use and what service those trains normally run.
You could do a feature on the 2 branchlines near you. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.