• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My *new* model layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick

Incase you haven't noticed in my signature, I'm currently building a new 00 scale model railway layout based on around the 1960's. The layout around 6ft by 7ft includes a typical GCR style island platform main line station, a short branch line climbing off the mainline onto embankment and onto viaduct where the line terminates, ahead can be seen ruined viaduct and developments imposing on the railways old trackbed to Nottingham Victoria.

Inside the layout is a large Carriage Sidings and Motive Power Depot. The layout will feature at first just two stations (one on the main line) with future development to include another station on the branch and main line. The main station is called Shortfields Central, and the branch station is called Birstall.

Keep up-to-date with my signature/website (I'm hoping on making).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Good luck with it. I would like my own layout but I don't really have the space. Make sure you keep us up to date with your progress :)

jd

Sounds good, like Marv I'd love to have a layout but I don't really have the space.

Dave A

jdan said:
Sounds good, like Marv I'd love to have a layout but I don't really have the space.

Sounds really great, like jdan and Marv I'd love to have a layout but I don't really have the space :( <D

T

Tom

Err... I don't have a model layout. :(

I have a real-size half built tube carriage though! :D

jd

Of course you do. I have a model tube train, not quite as big as 00, I don't know what its for, or where it came from, it just exists in a drawer in my room.... Tis mysterious.

Dave A

tubechallenger said:
Err... I don't have a model layout. :(

I have a real-size half built tube carriage though! :D
Ooooo.K Does some need to take his medicine <D

Nick

Update #1
Well, my recently ordered Class 170/6 Central Trains 'Turbostar' has arrived numbered 170637, a treat it is too!

Work on the layout has progressed, and baseboards were recently purchased, and calculations realised the board did not need to be 7x6 foot, but infact 7x5 foot. This still presented a problem! How was I going to get the board home? Simple, cut the board into four pieces of 3.5x2.5 foot, the baseboard I'm using is MDF, 12mm thickness. In terms of linking the boards together I'm consulting other modellers on the best way, at present they remain in four pieces as I asses what track I need to purchase.

Current layout, lots of track to buy!
layout.gif

Red line=Viaduct
Grey box=Platform
Pink=Road underbridge
Green=Rising embankment
Black=Extra branch track needed

The branch will rise using a plywood base and other wooden supports...covered with chicken wire and what like to create the mound finish.

Where the 'main line' track finishes is where the track will swerve slightly to accomodate a centre island platform...Shortfields Central.
There will also be an internal track running inside of the current mainline track. Coming off there will be on the left a carriage siding and on the right a small Motive Power Depot.

Still to be done is a way to join the boards, add supports of recently purchased 18mm by 34mm timber underneath the board. Afterward, I can start cutting the plywood to create the incline structure (I'm using this technique...http://www.ospreyweb.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/kmr/projects/incline-01.htm

Nick.

Status
Not open for further replies.