• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My opinion: children are safer if they are attending school

Status
Not open for further replies.

richw

Veteran Member
My children’s school have said they are at maximum capacity now applying the 15 kids per room guidance. They’ve used Several spare rooms and the library, so are Well over 50% attending now As their biggest class sizes were 28. And that’s with only vulnerable, key workers and years 1, 6 and reception.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
My children’s school have said they are at maximum capacity now applying the 15 kids per room guidance. They’ve used Several spare rooms and the library, so are Well over 50% attending now As their biggest class sizes were 28. And that’s with only vulnerable, key workers and years 1, 6 and reception.

If the playground isn't being used, why not fill it with Portakabins?

Established Member

Assuming there are thousands of portacabins available for school use and space to put them, who would teach in them? With class sizes halved all the teachers will be needed for the ~half of pupils already in.

The only way to get all pupils back with social distancing is some sort of rota system - but that means reduced hours for all, and probably for that reason isn't currently supported by the government.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
My kids are playing with a football and a frisbee at school. They are loving absolutely loving being back, it has made such a difference to them. 90%+ of year 6 are back and doing transition activity for secondary school. Where there's a will there's a way. All the kids are cleaning their hands regularly they're not tackling each other playing football, why can't they kick a ball about?

I wonder what lessons the lockdown is teaching our kids? Will they grow up being risk adverse or risk takers. Will they take risks and found small businesses?

I think it has at least given kids actual experience of working remotely, with all the upsides and downsides it brings. How their future workplaces are more than likely to be set up, and an end to 'presenteeism' that I think school falsely drills into you.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
They cost money, something that Councils don't have.
They need electricity, so supply supply problems may arise.
They often need gas for heating.
They need furnishing.
They need staffing.
They need maintenance.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't think that's a good idea for a temporary solution. Secondary schools are mostly almost empty with plenty of staff volunteering to work, many of whom have little or nothing to do.

It won't happen now for sure, but the pressure on primaries could have been reduced by having Year 6 attend their new Secondary schools. It would have had the added benefit of helping them to settle in for September. However at the current time secondary schools are not allowed to do any sort of induction/transition work with Year 6, despite having staff and classrooms available with no use for them. Meanwhile, primary schools are overloaded.

I know Teaching Assistants who are desperate to work but have nothing to do. They volunteered to work in school (it's entirely optional), and this gives them about half a days work every couple of weeks. They could do so much more, they want to do so much more, but are unable to. The whole situation is madness but no sensible solution is going to be forthcoming, at least not this academic year. I gave up hoping there is going to be a sensible solution for this academic year weeks ago.

Steveoh

It won't happen now for sure, but the pressure on primaries could have been reduced by having Year 6 attend their new Secondary schools. It would have had the added benefit of helping them to settle in for September. However at the current time secondary schools are not allowed to do any sort of induction/transition work with Year 6, despite having staff and classrooms available with no use for them. Meanwhile, primary schools are overloaded.

That would have been a good idea. I'm not sure your statement is entirely accurate though, I assume you mean on the secondary schoold premisis. My year 6 child is undertaking transition activities using material from the secondary school, we've also been posted the transition booklet. The transition manager is to visit the Year 6 pupils in their primary schools and show them a virtual tour of what to expect etc take and answer questions. I can of course only speak for my own school(s).

I think our schools have a can do attitude and that's very much reflected in the things that are happening for our children and we and they are very lucky in that respect.

Going back to the original point of this thread, being back in schoold has made a measurable difference to their general demeanor and behaviour.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
...I'm not sure your statement is entirely accurate though, I assume you mean on the secondary schools premises...
Yes.

My year 6 child is undertaking transition activities using material from the secondary school, we've also been posted the transition booklet. The transition manager is to visit the Year 6 pupils in their primary schools and show them a virtual tour of what to expect etc take and answer questions. I can of course only speak for my own school(s).

I think our schools have a can do attitude and that's very much reflected in the things that are happening for our children and we and they are very lucky in that respect.
I think the guidance may differ by local authority and/or by the policies of their Adademy Trust (where applicable), but I'm not sure.

Going back to the original point of this thread, being back in schools has made a measurable difference to their general demeanour and behaviour.
Yes there is no doubt that keeping children away from schools is not in the best interests of the children; the way we are treating this pandemic is to transfer a huge burden onto younger generations and that makes me feel very uncomfortable.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Northern Irish schools are to move from a 2m social distancing model to 1m.

This will allow for full classes to safely use each classroom and will make it easier for more children to return to school more quickly. This is definitely a good move and is promising for the educational prospects of many. This doens't allow all children to be in school at once, but is certainly the first step towards getting back to full time education for all.

This is reassuring and I can only hope that the rest of the UK follow this move, not just in education, but in all sectors.

Source:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-53098017

johnnychips

Established Member
The Daily Mirror led its front page today with a campaign to get students back to school. I would link, but I bought a paper copy!

Yew

Established Member
On Page 6 of Private Eye Issue 1524 there is the following quote: (which may be from Prof David Spiegelhalter, I'm not certain)

The risk to children is remarkably low, if you're aged 5-14 and you haven't had it yet, your chance of death is 1 in 3579551. You are more likely to die walking to school.

And also, on page 7

If you're a child, who's more likely to die from a lightning strike than Covid 19...

Ianno87

Veteran Member
On Page 6 of Private Eye Issue 1524 there is the following quote: (which may be from Prof David Spiegelhalter, I'm not certain)

And also, on page 7

I'm definitely going to quote that statistic! (Particularly as it backs up what I said waayyyyyy upthread)

Status
Not open for further replies.