• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My Settle & Carlisle style viaduct - OO Gauge Layout

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My mark 1 BSK has sold

Yesterday I was bidding on some stuff, but a loco I can buy new for £219 sold for £251, and a batch of wagons worth £120 tops went for £210. eBay lunacy!

I can’t get my head around some of the prices things go for on eBay sometimes, I can only assume it’s people who’ve had one too many of an evening paying over the odds for things?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reddragon

Established Member
I can’t get my head around some of the prices things go for on eBay sometimes, I can only assume it’s people who’ve had one too many of an evening paying over the odds for things?
Was wanting to bid on a Southern West Country, new £170. The one I wanted went for £430. Utter lunacy!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Was wanting to bid on a Southern West Country, new £170. The one I wanted went for £430. Utter lunacy!

Good grief! Was it sound fitted (even so that’s still way too much)?

reddragon

Established Member
Apparently it was a limited run of whatever but still, come on Hornby just maker & sell stuff we want! Check eBay. doh!

On my own sales, I've sold 2 coaches for what I bought them for which is fair, my class 110 is bidding about right but the 24 is a bit low on price, too low so hopefully some late bidding tomorrow.

Nobody wants my Mk2d

reddragon

Established Member
##Fleet update##

Motive Power

Today my Class 110 departed for it's new railway after agreeing a good price. 24.127 is awaiting it's departure within the next few days. The class 86 will be listed next. My next for sale listing has been delayed by the fact that the last 3 locos & 1 unit I have bid on went to silly prices.

66.621 is currently away for speaker fitting due to the complex soldering & wiring involved, along with a newly acquired Hornby 08 which is being DCC fitted and renumbered as a Class 09.

Currently I have 4 new loco's on order.

Coaching stock

Also departing were a Hornby Mk1 BSK & CK, plus an Airfix Mk2d BSO, leaving just one Mk1 CK for sale. My other Airfix 2d will get listed once I get a BG for the rake.

I have a Mk1 BCK on order, but as its with Hattons it might get cancelled!!

Getting the stock I require is challenging with poor availability & silly prices. On the positive side my 2A rake is now 4 & my NSE rake is now 3.

Wagons

At lot more action here

My EWS red open box rake is now 6 wagons. 3 are operating, 2 have bogie defects and 1 is in Hattons Trunk.

After getting fed up with eBay prices I have decided to pre-order some Freightliner & Network Rail wagons as new prices are below eBay prices. Why oh why?

I will start taking some pictures next week.

Last edited:

Peter C

Established Member
##Fleet update##

Motive Power

Today my Class 110 departed for it's new railway after agreeing a good price. 24.127 is awaiting it's departure within the next few days. The class 86 will be listed next. My next for sale listing has been delayed by the fact that the last 3 locos & 1 unit I have bid on went to silly prices.

66.621 is currently away for speaker fitting due to the complex soldering & wiring involved, along with a newly acquired Hornby 08 which is being DCC fitted and renumbered as a Class 09.

Coaching stock

Also departing were a Hornby Mk1 BSK & CK, plus an Airfix Mk2d BSO, leaving just one Mk1 CK for sale. My other Airfix 2d will get listed once I get a BG for the rake.

Getting the stock I require is challenging with poor availability & silly prices. On the positive side my 2A rake is now 4 & my NSE rake is now 3.

Wagons

At lot more action here

My EWS red open box rake is now 6 wagons. 3 are operating, 2 have bogie defects and 1 is in Hattons Trunk.

After getting fed up with eBay prices I have decided to pre-order some Freightliner & Network Rail wagons as new prices are below eBay prices. Why oh why?

Sounds like you've got plenty going on to keep you occupied @reddragon! Is the Mk1 from Hattons a new Hornby 2021 Range model? I've seen some photos of them and they look alright - it's just the roof which puts me off.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
##Fleet update##

Motive Power

Coaching stock

Wagons

At lot more action here

Impressive. :) What locos have you ordered?

Sounds like you've got plenty going on to keep you occupied @reddragon! Is the Mk1 from Hattons a new Hornby 2021 Range model? I've seen some photos of them and they look alright - it's just the roof which puts me off.

-Peter

What’s wrong with the roofs on them Peter?

Peter C

Established Member
What’s wrong with the roofs on them Peter?
It's the lines on the roof where the different panels were joined together to give the appearance of a single piece (on the real thing). It's really difficult to model them correctly; I'm sure you'll know that over time the panels and the lines between them became more and more prominent. Hornby's Mk1s have got obvious lines on the roofs:
1618254425777.png
Image (c) Hattons

I've got some Hornby Mk1s, but they're all in BR Chocolate & Cream. My Blue/Grey Mk1s are Bachmann and they have a smooth roof.

-Peter

Attachments

• 1618254262331.png
    1618254262331.png
    84.7 KB · Views: 3

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's the lines on the roof where the different panels were joined together to give the appearance of a single piece (on the real thing). It's really difficult to model them correctly; I'm sure you'll know that over time the panels and the lines between them became more and more prominent. Hornby's Mk1s have got obvious lines on the roofs:
View attachment 94295
Image (c) Hattons

I've got some Hornby Mk1s, but they're all in BR Chocolate & Cream. My Blue/Grey Mk1s are Bachmann and they have a smooth roof.

-Peter

Yes I see what you mean.

reddragon

Established Member

-Peter
It is a 2021 Model yes.

Impressive. :) What locos have you ordered?
Ahh, now that would be telling. I love to keep surprises until they happen :)

Peter C

Established Member
It is a 2021 Model yes.
Ah OK - I expect you're probably going to be fine with a Mk1 (as in not having it cancelled) but Hattons and, apparently, a couple of other companies have cancelled orders for Hornby 2021 products.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I don’t like surprises. They make me jump...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Two things:
  1. That's excellent
  2. Where can I get one? Real or model ;)
-Peter

I think you could make one out of a couple of bicycles, some planks of wood and a garden bench. :lol:

Peter C

Established Member
I think you could make one out of a couple of bicycles, some planks of wood and a garden bench. :lol:
That's this week's project sorted then ;)

No not Petrol either

View attachment 94299

Remember I need locos than can pull heavy trains!
I actually thought about getting one of those last year. The only thing which stopped me was the fact that DCC-fitting it would be a nightmare: there's barely any space for a decoder! It could run with my Ruston 48DS and they could get lost together :D

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
That's this week's project sorted then ;)

I actually thought about getting one of those last year. The only thing which stopped me was the fact that DCC-fitting it would be a nightmare: there's barely any space for a decoder! It could run with my Ruston 48DS and they could get lost together :D

-Peter
It says not suited to DCC but compatible. This would require the chip to be in an attached wagon or similar!

Peter C

Established Member
It says not suited to DCC but compatible. This would require the chip to be in an attached wagon or similar!
I think I've seen someone manage to fit a decoder in just the two wagons, but I'm not sure. The Hornby Ruston 48DS has a similar amount of space for the motor and you can fit a decoder in there: I guess the main limiting factor is the ballast load in the Wickham Trolley wagon and how high that is.

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Yesterday I listed my rake of tankers, 6x Hornby 4w, 2x Lima TEA and the older smaller Lima ones. No interest yet.

##UPDATE##

Dapol MCAs. Having had endless issues with 2 of my Hattons 2nd hand purchases with jamming wheels & shorts, today I got to the source of the problem. Basically, the wheels scrape the underside of the body Not a huge issue as a bit of wheel drag is not the end of the world but the metal weight plates are what they scrape on causing sparks & shorts. Come on Dapol!!

My solution was a smaller plastic wheel. Not ideal, but it works.

Some pictures as promised: -

LMS 4982 on the 8 coach WR BR Mk1 / Collett rake in maroon

1618840049887.png

1618840087234.png

BR 71000 waiting a duty

1618840188596.png

Today I got an unexpected bargain. A Blood & Custard Bachmann RFO for half price!! Wow, eBay can deliver :)

Last edited: