• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My Settle & Carlisle style viaduct - OO Gauge Layout

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
As long as they are DCC, I have the siding space . . . . .

Rakes are 10 coaches / 15 wagons, they need to be up to it!

Friday

A possession of the UP main came into force last night and the track gangs lifted the tracks. The points needed cutting out as track pins had been used.

P5/6 are now closed and services are using the UP relief.

View attachment 98768

View attachment 98769

By 1am, the new points were being placed and electrical contractors were on site.

View attachment 98770

Updates to follow once pics are available from site.
The addition of details about engineering possessions really adds to it all @reddragon. :) The scale of your layout also never fails to amaze me - it might not be as massive as some large club layouts but for a personal layout, it's pretty good going to say the least. ;)

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
The UP main was completed and powered up on time. Up services await the glue to dry for the possession to be lifted. The double slip in the middle will connect to the down main next, followed by the curved right & a Y for the down relief.

1624627593857.png

Peter C

Established Member
The UP main was completed and powered up on time. Up services await the glue to dry for the possession to be lifted. The double slip in the middle will connect to the down main next, followed by the curved right & a Y for the down relief.

View attachment 98776
Again - loving the little details. Are all the workers being kept fed and watered? ;)

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Again - loving the little details. Are all the workers being kept fed and watered? ;)

-Peter
Its warm up there! EWS are providing the wagon and a Network Rail rake of JNAs are due to arrive on the railway tomorrow. Maybe some track ballasting or scenery work may be planned soon?

Peter C

Established Member
Its warm up there! EWS are providing the wagon and a Network Rail rake of JNAs are due to arrive on the railway tomorrow. Maybe some track ballasting or scenery work may be planned soon?
Haha :lol:
Sounds interesting - what kind of scenery work might you have in mind?

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Haha :lol:
Sounds interesting - what kind of scenery work might you have in mind?

-Peter
Not sure yet other than the area to start. Maybe a hill?

So the track was opened just on time and the possession lifted. Note how straight the departure line is now.

1624633815460.png

The first Up service of the day is a semi fast service.

1624633924770.png
1624634003578.png

Followed by a Freighliner service

1624634039983.png

Arrangements are in for the next possession to install the double slip on the down main

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Looking amazing from that angle. The ballast looks good too. How are you getting on with that?

Peter C

Established Member
Not sure yet other than the area to start. Maybe a hill?
That would be cool. I suppose the main issue is the track to begin with!

So the track was opened just on time and the possession lifted. Note how straight the departure line is now.

View attachment 98779

The first Up service of the day is a semi fast service.

View attachment 98780
Looking good! Would there be a case for connecting the line the Western crosses onto over to the platform line it leaves? The sort of thing you'd get on the real railway for quicker departures I guess?

View attachment 98781

Followed by a Freighliner service

View attachment 98782

Arrangements are in for the next possession to install the double slip on the down main
I'm liking the shots of the long trains passing. Really goes to show how a large-scale layout makes realism easier to achieve!

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
That would be cool. I suppose the main issue is the track to begin with!

Looking good! Would there be a case for connecting the line the Western crosses onto over to the platform line it leaves? The sort of thing you'd get on the real railway for quicker departures I guess?

I'm liking the shots of the long trains passing. Really goes to show how a large-scale layout makes realism easier to achieve!

-Peter
I was running 3 trains at once tonight. The 52 + 9 Mk2s, the 66 + 14 wagons, then 411 8-car, then 70 + 18 wagons, then 42 + 7 crimson / cream, the 53 + 8 maroon.

My 6 coach rakes are currently 8 Maroon, 7 Red & Cream, 9 Mk1 BG set 1, 9, Mk1 BG set 2, 9 Mk2 ,6 Mk 2de; + spare + 2x HST 7 & 4 car
Freight 3 rakes are 18 open, 14 container, 11 tanker

MotCO

Established Member
@reddragon - Any chance of you giving a run through of how you fit stay alive capacitors to your locos?
I’ve got a Farish 47 that stalls on points quite frequently (it’s quite a common problem with that model), but I’ve got no idea how to go about doing it?

I don't know if you follow Chadwick Model Railway, but this episode gives some advice on stay alives.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I don't know if you follow Chadwick Model Railway, but this episode gives some advice on stay alives.

I forgot to update on this actually.
I fitted the one that I’d ordered from Rails and what I’ve noticed is that after a few minutes of running once it’s warmed up there’s a fairly big difference in how it runs. It’s a lot better basically.
I’ll have a look at that video later though, thanks for that.

reddragon

Established Member
I forgot to update on this actually.
I fitted the one that I’d ordered from Rails and what I’ve noticed is that after a few minutes of running once it’s warmed up there’s a fairly big difference in how it runs. It’s a lot better basically.
I’ll have a look at that video later though, thanks for that.
Glad it works and so small & compact!

My latest track possession closed the UP main. The new double slip & down relief points are already in place

1624702106350.png

All platforms remained open for a while but since this photo P7/8 closed when the crossing was removed. The UP main and access to P7 have been relaid and await approval for re-opening after testing.

Out of site a Network rail train has arrived on the railway

Peter C

Established Member
I was running 3 trains at once tonight. The 52 + 9 Mk2s, the 66 + 14 wagons, then 411 8-car, then 70 + 18 wagons, then 42 + 7 crimson / cream, the 53 + 8 maroon.

My 6 coach rakes are currently 8 Maroon, 7 Red & Cream, 9 Mk1 BG set 1, 9, Mk1 BG set 2, 9 Mk2 ,6 Mk 2de; + spare + 2x HST 7 & 4 car
Freight 3 rakes are 18 open, 14 container, 11 tanker
All very nice indeed. The lengths of those rakes just goes to show why loco pulling-power (i.e. traction, not if they can attract other locos to go out with ;)) is so important on your layout.

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
09.010 is shunting the latest arrivals the NR wagons up the new track.

1624710343192.png

At the work site the down main has reopened and returned to service for a down freight service. P8-9-10 remain closed

1624710389229.png

Since this shot the Down relief has also been connected but has yet to reopen.

This is quite a major weekend track possession that has resulted in some wrong direction workings and unusual platform alterations made possible by the new crossovers.

Peter C

Established Member
09.010 is shunting the latest arrivals the NR wagons up the new track.

View attachment 98822

At the work site the down main has reopened and returned to service for a down freight service. P8-9-10 remain closed

View attachment 98823

Since this shot the Down relief has also been connected but has yet to reopen.

This is quite a major weekend track possession that has resulted in some wrong direction workings and unusual platform alterations made possible by the new crossovers.
You're certainly working through this all at quite a rate of knots @reddragon! All looks very nice. Just out of interest, do any manufacturers make points/crossovers with concrete sleepers in OO gauge? Every layout I've seen with concrete sleepers uses points with wooden sleepers, which still fits in and looks good but could pose a bit of an issue for those wanting really realistic layouts?

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
You're certainly working through this all at quite a rate of knots @reddragon! All looks very nice. Just out of interest, do any manufacturers make points/crossovers with concrete sleepers in OO gauge? Every layout I've seen with concrete sleepers uses points with wooden sleepers, which still fits in and looks good but could pose a bit of an issue for those wanting really realistic layouts?

-Peter
In the real world most points have wooden sleepers but Peco do some fine scale code 75 points in concrete although they only seem to do medium LH/RH points like that.

When you have all you need then track laying is fast. Tracks, bits, glue, weights & tools!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
In the real world most points have wooden sleepers but Peco do some fine scale code 75 points in concrete although they only seem to do medium LH/RH points like that.

When you have all you need then track laying is fast. Tracks, bits, glue, weights & tools!

It’s not so quick in N gauge especially when you’re using Peco finescale!

Peter C

Established Member

Ah OK - I looked into it a bit after making that post and found their concrete-sleeper points. They look alright but it's a limited range, as you say.
At least when gluing track, you don't have to worry about pins - the hours I've spent looking for pins and having to remove them...

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
It’s not so quick in N gauge especially when you’re using Peco finescale!
I have a magnifying headset with light and a track cutter

####

Good news from site. All of the UP approach track work has been laid. One electrical gap existed that has been filled. Once all checks are completed testing will commence and re-opening.

The signalling & routing team are studying the new layout happy about the greater platform flexibility.

####

So the possession ended and trains are running again

The new layout including the siding line connected allows trains to go to the carriage sidings from P5-10

1624736825911.png 1624736915077.png

The stone train is now 20 wagons but on its trial run a MCA wagon failed shorting the DCC.

1624736957204.png

The MCA visited the works for a bogie lift and the removal of the steel weight which has been relocated under the stone load, the 3rd MCA to be so treated.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well done for the work you’ve put in to get this far @reddragon. The effort is there for all to see. Some of the trackwork looks beautiful actually.

reddragon

Established Member
Well done for the work you’ve put in to get this far @reddragon. The effort is there for all to see. Some of the trackwork looks beautiful actually.
Thanks

I just now how the substantial remodelling of the suburban station area to do, but first some scenery and point motors! Just need to work out how to wire up DCC points that activate signals too.

#####

Friday

I decided to do a haulage test today. My Bachmann class 70 was hauling the 20 wagon open rake so I added 11 tankers and it ran with 31 wagons. Next I tried adding 12 Container wagons. It was able to move a rake into the upper 30's but stalled. I replaced it with the Hattons class 66 and that successfully ran with 43 bogie wagons in tow. It was very heavy.

That = 11 TEA + 4 PTAs + 6 YGH + 4 JNA + 1 MBA + 5 MCA + 2 KFA + 6 FKA + 4 FEA = 43

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks

I just now how the substantial remodelling of the suburban station area to do, but first some scenery and point motors! Just need to work out how to wire up DCC points that activate signals too.

Any thoughts on the scenery then? Have you decided which area you’ll start on?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hey you must have just missed my edit above!

Scenery, err yes where to start . . . . .. Be assured there will be pictures when I do

We must have posted at exactly the same time. :lol:
I am curious to see how you go about this, you’ve got a lot of area to cover but there’s no need to do loads at once. Just concentrate on one area for a bit until you’re happy with it I guess?

reddragon

Established Member
We must have posted at exactly the same time. :lol:
I am curious to see how you go about this, you’ve got a lot of area to cover but there’s no need to do loads at once. Just concentrate on one area for a bit until you’re happy with it I guess?
It will be somewhere left of the viaduct. I have 2 start location options, 1 LH end of viaduct & then viaduct, the other further to the left

Peter C

Established Member
Friday

I decided to do a haulage test today. My Bachmann class 70 was hauling the 20 wagon open rake so I added 11 tankers and it ran with 31 wagons. Next I tried adding 12 Container wagons. It was able to move a rake into the upper 30's but stalled. I replaced it with the Hattons class 66 and that successfully ran with 43 bogie wagons in tow. It was very heavy.

That = 11 TEA + 4 PTAs + 6 YGH + 4 JNA + 1 MBA + 5 MCA + 2 KFA + 6 FKA + 4 FEA = 43
Blimey - that's quite the rake :lol:
Have you had (m)any issues with your Hattons 66? They can be quite temperamental from what I've heard.

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Blimey - that's quite the rake :lol:
Have you had (m)any issues with your Hattons 66? They can be quite temperamental from what I've heard.

-Peter
The 66 runs very well with huge haulage capability. There is the slight 'hattons wobble' but nothing too serious.

I had to get someone else to solder in the speaker as it was too tricky for me and that was an epic task including a heavy wiring job to get it in.

The 66 is currently my best loco and the Dapol Class 52 in second.

Peter C

Established Member
The 66 runs very well with huge haulage capability. There is the slight 'hattons wobble' but nothing too serious.

I had to get someone else to solder in the speaker as it was too tricky for me and that was an epic task including a heavy wiring job to get it in.

The 66 is currently my best loco and the Dapol Class 52 in second.
That's good to hear. I might look into getting one - but the chance of it having a wobble or other issues puts me off. The Dapol 52 also looks really nice.

-Peter