• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My Settle & Carlisle style viaduct - OO Gauge Layout

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reddragon

Established Member
After a short lockdown, warmer weather has arrive with a box of 25 flexi tracks!

Track laying gangs have been booked for a weekend possession to extend the outer 2 mainlines west from the main station.

This additional trackwork is essential following the arrival of a new Blue & Grey rake and maroon rake of coaches. Try getting just western region coach sets! Southern is err, near impossible and £25 per coach is renumber is a nope.

The extension will also need the ECO to cut power and connect up the new loop DCC power section. Initially these will be used as sidings to store 3 trains or whatever fits.

Once completed, track gangs will move to the hills to extend the first track over fArten Gill viaduct.

Pictures will follow as I progress.

reddragon

Established Member
3 lengths of rail laid today and 1 pair of power connectors fitted to rail. Two west from the station and 1 towards the viaduct.

1.8m closer to closing the loop!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
3 lengths of rail laid today and 1 pair of power connectors fitted to rail. Two west from the station and 1 towards the viaduct.

1.8m closer to closing the loop!
So will you have a complete circuit up and running soon then?

reddragon

Established Member
So will you have a complete circuit up and running soon then?
Err,

To complete my first loop I need

10m of structure for the base, plus 5m extra boards (15m in total) and 10m of ready board, so 25m of track.

I need to move some stuff & tidy up, do some structure work before I start. Then get some wood to build the structure and some plasterboard. I have I hope enough base board.

Tracks . . . might be a few metres short for 1st loop of 4! Then this loop will also have a passing loop too which I'll only install the points not the loop.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It’s an epic isn’t it? I suppose you could do a 1980s rationalisation and just have a single line with a Pacer and a bus stop station if it got too much... :D

reddragon

Established Member
It’s an epic isn’t it? I suppose you could do a 1980s rationalisation and just have a single line with a Pacer and a bus stop station if it got too much... :D

I'm not old enough to give up and have no plans to move!

Thursday

So today, got to it tracklaying due to collaborative working with the track laying contractor and tea suppliers!

I extended my outer loop (up relief) 1 length further west. This required insulator joints. Grr, pain to do! This makes the up relief 1.8m west of the station point work.

The 2nd track the up main is still a pair as part of the long loop for freight. I added power connectors to the farthest track and laid a track on the nearer track of the pair putting them both 0.9m west of the station points.

The picture below shows where I am at. The top 2 tracks are the siding beyond the end of the local suburban line.

1611930745622.png

Friday

I was also able to lay a further 7 lengths towards the S&C fArten Gill viaduct, including a pair of power connectors making 7.25m of new track in total.

This is as far as I have got!

1611930884592.png

Yes, the up relief has now crossed onto the viaduct but not quite across it yet.

I am going to stick to the outer up relief track in the hope that I can get my first full loop completed!

Saturday

Lots of tidying & clearance today.

This enabled me to extend the base board by 2.4m and critically reduce the gap for the structure to 5m, then end curve (very tricky location) and the western link from the main station

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Saturday

Lots of tidying & clearance today.

This enabled me to extend the base board by 2.4m and critically reduce the gap for the structure to 5m, then end curve (very tricky location) and the western link from the main station
So you've got more space to 'play with' so to speak. Are you using the extra room furniture anything in particular or is that in development?

Also, nice '125' can I ask is that a modern Hornby one or another manufacturer?

reddragon

Established Member
So you've got more space to 'play with' so to speak. Are you using the extra room furniture anything in particular or is that in development?

Also, nice '125' can I ask is that a modern Hornby one or another manufacturer?

Its a poor old Hornby, the original and a dud.

I have a main station & sidings; then a 180 curved area that will be an industrial / city area; then a suburban station that will have some workshops; then the rural area with the S&C viaduct at the centre; then a mainline through a suburban station; then a small are tbc, then the tricky loop that will not be developed and back to the main station.

I need to sort out the lighting so I can get pics and of course see without needing a torch!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Its a poor old Hornby, the original and a dud.
It fooled me well enough!

I have a main station & sidings; then a 180 curved area that will be an industrial / city area; then a suburban station that will have some workshops; then the rural area with the S&C viaduct at the centre; then a mainline through a suburban station; then a small are tbc, then the tricky loop that will not be developed and back to the main station.
Cheers, so you've just got a small bit to decide what's happening with

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You’ve been very busy. Are you glue the track down hence the wood on top?

reddragon

Established Member
You’ve been very busy. Are you glue the track down hence the wood on top?
Yes, I build a timber structure then place 12mm ply on top. Many areas are flat, for siding, town etc. The S&C area has a raised embankment for a cutting in a side slope then the viaduct after that the railway will be in a cutting.

I looked at cork, but as soon as you ballast its value diminishes, I looked at copydex but as it never dries, dust sticking to it in a loft was a no no. I have gone with dilute PVA to stick down the tracks. It's quite easy to lift and relay as long as its a diluted mix and you don't use too much.

For sound / noise its mainly driving at scale speeds but also I'll look at sticking sound absorption options on the underside of the boards to stop the resonance.

I have a 5m gap left on the structure / framework; 10m gap on base boards and 15m on the up relief line; 20m on the down relief and 25m on the mains.

I am looking forwards to the completion of the first loop but no work today as its a bit chilly u there!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes, I build a timber structure then place 12mm ply on top. Many areas are flat, for siding, town etc. The S&C area has a raised embankment for a cutting in a side slope then the viaduct after that the railway will be in a cutting.

I looked at cork, but as soon as you ballast its value diminishes, I looked at copydex but as it never dries, dust sticking to it in a loft was a no no. I have gone with dilute PVA to stick down the tracks. It's quite easy to lift and relay as long as its a diluted mix and you don't use too much.

For sound / noise its mainly driving at scale speeds but also I'll look at sticking sound absorption options on the underside of the boards to stop the resonance.

I have a 5m gap left on the structure / framework; 10m gap on base boards and 15m on the up relief line; 20m on the down relief and 25m on the mains.

I am looking forwards to the completion of the first loop but no work today as its a bit chilly u there!
I must admit that I always use unibond PVA as I’ve got loads of it for my job. Generally I superglue the track down with just a few spots here and there because the ballast holds it all together anyway in the end.

reddragon

Established Member
I though today I'd do a coaching stock update.

Over the last year or so, I've been disposing of my older Triang / Hornby / LMS / Lima coach fleet keeping only my old Mainline / Airfix BR coaches. Some to Peter but also I have sold many of the on eBay.

Because I'm only modelling Western / Southern regions my choice of coaches has been rather limited as most coaches are modelled in Eastern / Midland region.

For my blood & custard Mainline 4 car WR set I have managed to get a Bachmann RU car and already had a new Hornby Pullman coach making 6 coaches, I put the RU and Pullman at one end as they don't look right in the middle of Mainline coaches.

My new maroon WR set has 5 Bachmann Mk1's, all very good, including a BSK, CK, SK, and 2 SOs. The rest I have had to make up with a Hornby Mk1 RB and 2 Hawksworth coaches making 8 coaches. It looks good :)

My old Mainline blue / grey mark 1's I've split into 2x 3 coach sets for local services and scavenged it Mainline RB for my new set. Its a MR set that will retire eventually.

My new WR blue / grey set has 3 Bachmann mark 2As (BFK/FK) WR, (FK) Southern and the mainline MR RB. The 6 Hornby coaches turned out to be a mixed bag. 3 (SK + 2x SOs) are as good as Bachmann, but 3 (BSK + 2x CKs) turned out to be Railroad quality although not advertised / boxed as such. Quite disappointing really as they have chunky couplings so don't connect to the better stuff, so I need to use the Mainline buffet as a translator coach! Looks like Hornby updated the range at some point as they still sell these coaches but much better versions! This is currently a 10 coach rake but in time the 3 lower quality Hornby may move off into another rake and be replaced. One day, maybe I can form a full Mark 2A rake too!

My Mark 2d/e rake is a mixed bag. The Mark 2Ds are 2 Airfix ER BSOs, 1 Mainline ER SO. A Mainline Mark 1 MR RB and 2Es Hornby WR TSO + FO making 6 coaches in all. Hornby do a Railroad WR selection but I will not go with that and Bachmann want to charge up to £75 each for theirs!!

I have a Lima blue / grey correct 7-car HST rake with Lima power cars which apart from incorrect numbers on 3 coaches are very good and a new Hornby 4-car GWR Castle set.

My last old coach to go is a Lima BG!

Until I get my track down, siding space is rather limited for more stock!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I though today I'd do a coaching stock update.

Over the last year or so, I've been disposing of my older Triang / Hornby / LMS / Lima coach fleet keeping only my old Mainline / Airfix BR coaches. Some to Peter but also I have sold many of the on eBay.

Because I'm only modelling Western / Southern regions my choice of coaches has been rather limited as most coaches are modelled in Eastern / Midland region.

For my blood & custard Mainline 4 car WR set I have managed to get a Bachmann RU car and already had a new Hornby Pullman coach making 6 coaches, I put the RU and Pullman at one end as they don't look right in the middle of Mainline coaches.

My new maroon WR set has 5 Bachmann Mk1's, all very good, including a BSK, CK, SK, and 2 SOs. The rest I have had to make up with a Hornby Mk1 RB and 2 Hawksworth coaches making 8 coaches. It looks good :)

My old Mainline blue / grey mark 1's I've split into 2x 3 coach sets for local services and scavenged it Mainline RB for my new set. Its a MR set that will retire eventually.

My new WR blue / grey set has 3 Bachmann mark 2As (BFK/FK) WR, (FK) Southern and the mainline MR RB. The 6 Hornby coaches turned out to be a mixed bag. 3 (SK + 2x SOs) are as good as Bachmann, but 3 (BSK + 2x CKs) turned out to be Railroad quality although not advertised / boxed as such. Quite disappointing really as they have chunky couplings so don't connect to the better stuff, so I need to use the Mainline buffet as a translator coach! Looks like Hornby updated the range at some point as they still sell these coaches but much better versions! This is currently a 10 coach rake but in time the 3 lower quality Hornby may move off into another rake and be replaced. One day, maybe I can form a full Mark 2A rake too!

My Mark 2d/e rake is a mixed bag. The Mark 2Ds are 2 Airfix ER BSOs, 1 Mainline ER SO. A Mainline Mark 1 MR RB and 2Es Hornby WR TSO + FO making 6 coaches in all. Hornby do a Railroad WR selection but I will not go with that and Bachmann want to charge up to £75 each for theirs!!

I have a Lima blue / grey correct 7-car HST rake with Lima power cars which apart from incorrect numbers on 3 coaches are very good and a new Hornby 4-car GWR Castle set.

My last old coach to go is a Lima BG!

Until I get my track down, siding space is rather limited for more stock!
Sounds like a great collection. Those Bachmann mk1s were a revelation when they came out. The N gauge version is also really good.
Have you got enough vans to make up a parcels rake?

reddragon

Established Member
Sounds like a great collection. Those Bachmann mk1s were a revelation when they came out. The N gauge version is also really good.
Have you got enough vans to make up a parcels rake?
Alas no vans yet and if I do I might go Southern on vans.

Jaz avalley

I often think this is the best bit despite the long haul getting all the tracks down, your in the planning stage still with everything ahead of you, and every day you are achieving something worthwhile, I assume you roll wagons along each new bit to test they are working well, these start to finish layouts are the most exciting, as people can follow the whole build, plus you can ask for advice, hopefully getting good information to save you having to go back and fix issues, one to watch :)

reddragon

Established Member
My plan is to get most of the tracks down, get the DCC working and point motors, short issues, locos first before anything else.

Today I laid 2m more of the up relief including a RH point and painted another 2.4 of track bed ready for tomorrow

Today I did some shunting, swapping freight trains between the up relief and down relief, now at last I actually have a track connection to use! Had a cripple freightliner wagon due to a bogie defect. It was new and I need to take the bogie off and fit the coupling correctly.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My plan is to get most of the tracks down, get the DCC working and point motors, short issues, locos first before anything else.

Today I laid 2m more of the up relief including a RH point and painted another 2.4 of track bed ready for tomorrow

Today I did some shunting, swapping freight trains between the up relief and down relief, now at last I actually have a track connection to use! Had a cripple freightliner wagon due to a bogie defect. It was new and I need to take the bogie off and fit the coupling correctly.
I thought you might be doing stuff today because it’s a bit warmer.
Did you take any photos?

reddragon

Established Member
I thought you might be doing stuff today because it’s a bit warmer.
Did you take any photos?
I must do tomorrow, no excuses as its in the daylight!

Plan to do 3 lengths tomorrow to the end of the board. I am waiting for a dry day at the weekend to cut some more base board sections.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Glad your making progress, just to echo Cowley - wouldn't mind seeing some photos too, always interested to see what's going on with others' layouts.

reddragon

Established Member
As promised

First is my western extension from the main station: -

Top 2 are head shunt sidings for suburban
3rd track is up relief
Next pair are up main
Bottom right is down main with a class 52 awaiting track to depart

1612363544027.png

The route ahead

1612363669269.png

The gap

1612363714511.png

The end of the up main

1612363769792.png

The route ahead and end of down line to the viaduct

1612363831032.png

The viaduct crossed

The completed track up to the passing loop for the intermediate station

1612363955915.png

The station area with 2m of track under the wooden weight

1612364024957.png

The route ahead

1612364068122.png

to the current limit

1612364120134.png

I have a 10m gap to complete the loop and 8m of track

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As promised

First is my western extension from the main station: -

Top 2 are head shunt sidings for suburban
3rd track is up relief
Next pair are up main
Bottom right is down main with a class 52 awaiting track to depart

View attachment 89883

The route ahead

View attachment 89885

The gap

View attachment 89886

The end of the up main

View attachment 89888

The route ahead and end of down line to the viaduct

View attachment 89889

The viaduct crossed

The completed track up to the passing loop for the intermediate station

View attachment 89890

The station area with 2m of track under the wooden weight

View attachment 89891

The route ahead

View attachment 89892

to the current limit

View attachment 89893

I have a 10m gap to complete the loop and 8m of track

Brilliant thanks for posting them. It’s bloody massive!
I mean I knew it was big obviously but seeing it come together now it’s definitely going to be a long term project...
The gentle reverse curves in the fifth photo look brilliant.

reddragon

Established Member
My crippled Hornby KFA wagon visited works today for a bogie lift and coupling refit. It has been returned as the 14th wagon on the Freightliner rake filling the current track 6 at the main station.

On the wagon front I have the following rakes

10 Tankers - 2x Lima TEA, 2x smaller bogie tankers and 6x 4 wheelers. As these are not compliant with my climate friendly operation, their future is not certain

10 Stone - 6x YGH Seacow and 4x PTA. Second hand / new prices have stopped the growth of this rake

14 Freightliner - 4x Hattons spine FEA-E, 6x Bachmann FKA, 2x Dapol KTA Pocket, 2x Hornby KFA. The rake will continue to grow until a realistic rake is formed (once the station loop is full length!)

I also have 2 guards vans and a VGA

I would like to grow these modern rakes and add new but the prices are eye watering & no deals are to be had!

Peter has all of my old steam era wagons.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
10 Tankers - 2x Lima TEA, 2x smaller bogie tankers and 6x 4 wheelers. As these are not compliant with my climate friendly operation, their future is not certain.

Well I hurt one of my fingers quite badly today (roof beam with rusty nail vs soft digit, digit came off worse), but that bought a smile to my face.

Iskra

Established Member
My crippled Hornby KFA wagon visited works today for a bogie lift and coupling refit. It has been returned as the 14th wagon on the Freightliner rake filling the current track 6 at the main station.

On the wagon front I have the following rakes

10 Tankers - 2x Lima TEA, 2x smaller bogie tankers and 6x 4 wheelers. As these are not compliant with my climate friendly operation, their future is not certain

10 Stone - 6x YGH Seacow and 4x PTA. Second hand / new prices have stopped the growth of this rake

14 Freightliner - 4x Hattons spine FEA-E, 6x Bachmann FKA, 2x Dapol KTA Pocket, 2x Hornby KFA. The rake will continue to grow until a realistic rake is formed (once the station loop is full length!)

I also have 2 guards vans and a VGA

I would like to grow these modern rakes and add new but the prices are eye watering & no deals are to be had!

Peter has all of my old steam era wagons.
That’s a very good collection you have. One of the good things about a small layout for me is that I don’t need long rakes of rolling stock. I would like a rake of tankers like yours though, I think they look good.

reddragon

Established Member
That’s a very good collection you have. One of the good things about a small layout for me is that I don’t need long rakes of rolling stock. I would like a rake of tankers like yours though, I think they look good.
The 4 wheelers are really cheap second hand and come in many colours. They lack the filth present on all oil wagons though!

reddragon

Established Member
Well I hurt one of my fingers quite badly today (roof beam with rusty nail vs soft digit, digit came off worse), but that bought a smile to my face.
I'd offer you a glass of Diesel to ease away the pain, but my car runs on electron only!

You should try adding your own ;)
I did consider a crash and fire but they do have a resale value on eBay!