• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My Settle & Carlisle style viaduct - OO Gauge Layout

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
That's coming along nicely, you should have plenty of operational interest with all those points. How do you find the diamond points operationally?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I am drilling holes under each point for the motors. Ok, I forgot a few!

The plan is to do the motors in one go at the end.
Ah fair enough. You could always add the odd surface mounted one and disguise it in something later if need be.
Will you be running the motors off DCC?

reddragon

Established Member
Ah fair enough. You could always add the odd surface mounted one and disguise it in something later if need be.
Will you be running the motors off DCC?

I have no idea how to run them off DCC . . . . yet, so I will have to learn!

Monday

Last section of P6 approach laid, tracks wired up at loop end and temprorary power connection put in at 1 location.

1614008019019.png

A VEP on approach and a 52 holding down the newly laid track

1614008093972.png

The developing western approach

1614008141790.png

Class 66 approaching P5 after crossing from up relief to down relief P5 approach. Long enough to add another 10 wagons to the 14 wagon rake!

1614008236001.png

This evening 2 of us were driving 4 trains at once on the loop. Full line speed was possible with all but my maroon rake on the whole loop due to easy curves. The Garratt shorts the east end points at slow speed so relay with insulators is required.

Parked up - P1-4 hold 2 EMUs each, P5/6 2 full rakes each easily. Happy bunny!!

Last edited:

reddragon

Established Member
Amazing work. And that container train looks excellent!
I just need to sort out some better lighting now as it is dark up there in many areas and I rely on a torch! I could then get the whole train in the light!

I am thinking of LED tape strips as they give suitable lighting spread over long distances. Still have 11 rafters to insulate first though.

Update 1

Just ordered a roll of LED lights to try out.

Update 2

P7 extended with an entry point to the transfer sidings!

Last edited:

Jaz avalley

Investigate lighting for lizards and plants they have to give a natural light for them to stay alive and many modellers swear by them, although you might swear at the price.

Investigate lighting for lizards and plants they have to give a natural light for them to stay alive and many modellers swear by them, although you might swear at the price.
Oooh edited to say look at wallpaper underlinimg it’s cheaper than a lot of choices plus you can curve it down to the floor behind the track ,if necessary cut little snips so you can fold it down and give curves and a void the crease that is always so hard to avoid in photographs.

reddragon

Established Member
I quickly strung up the new 5m roll of LED lights and the lighting result is amazing!

1614197758111.png

My developing western approach

1614197809116.png

Peter C

Established Member
I've been reading each new post on here @reddragon but I keep forgetting to say anything. You've done a really good job with your layout so far - well done! I expect it's all going to come along a bit quicker now you've got the first full loop done?

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
I've been reading each new post on here @reddragon but I keep forgetting to say anything. You've done a really good job with your layout so far - well done! I expect it's all going to come along a bit quicker now you've got the first full loop done?

-Peter
Now most construction work is done railway work is easier.

I still have 11 rafter gaps to insulate though.

This weekend it's installing lighting and the transfer sidings linking the down fast to up fast. I will need another box of tracks for each loop, that's 3 more!

At least with light, I can take decent photos now!!!!

Peter C

Established Member
Now most construction work is done railway work is easier.

I still have 11 rafter gaps to insulate though.

This weekend it's installing lighting and the transfer sidings linking the down fast to up fast. I will need another box of tracks for each loop, that's 3 more!

At least with light, I can take decent photos now!!!!
Sounds like a lot of work but also good fun as it's coming together. I can definitely understand what you mean about lighting - there aren't really any proper lights around my layout (or otherwise close enough to make a difference) so I have to take most photos during the day when there's plenty of natural light. :)

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Saturday

I have installed the 2nd section of LED strip lighting and removed the old dull light bulbs. The weather was too good outside to do more!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Saturday

I have installed the 2nd section of LED strip lighting and removed the old dull light bulbs. The weather was too good outside to do more!

Good stuff. I’ve been making trees. :)

Peter C

Established Member
Saturday

Good stuff. I’ve been making trees. :)
You two have both been much more productive than me then - I've run a couple of trains and moved a tiny bit of track to sort some derailments!

-Peter :)

reddragon

Established Member
Today I finished more LED lights with 4 finished and a 5th in place. Just need another angle and the last 2 connecting to the switch.

Added 4 points on the entry to the transfer sidings (pics tomorrow).

Lots of cleaning & tidying that will allow pics

########################

Monday and as promised pics!

The developing western approach: -

Exchange sidings access from P5-6-7 - note medium points in sidings, long on main

1614623847552.png

from back to front - up relief; pair of up main tracks; transfer sidings; down main & down relief

1614623894786.png

Main Station - Suburban Station

1614624158980.png1614624048600.png

Freightliner hauled by 66621

1614624198220.png

1614624223815.png

1614624248169.png

1614624270405.png

Getting there!

I am working on the western approach to the station at the moment.

Attachments

• 1614624079810.png
    1614624079810.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 1614624089776.png
    1614624089776.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It’s all starting to make sense now when you look at the photos. The main station is going to be very impressive. Any thoughts on what you’ll do for station buildings?

reddragon

Established Member
It’s all starting to make sense now when you look at the photos. The main station is going to be very impressive. Any thoughts on what you’ll do for station buildings?
No idea yet. Its not helped by no kits / models suited to such a large station! I might have to go for a subway rather than footbridge.

I have 3 stations to name. The main one, instead of Reading could be Writing?

Peter C

Established Member
I have 3 stations to name. The main one, instead of Reading could be Writing?
If you've got three stations, surely you could have Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic? ;)

In all seriousness, though - it looks as though you've done a really good job so far and I always enjoy seeing what you've got done each update. The sweeping curves definitely make for some excellent photos!

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
I have now named my main station, which will be GW style brick. The suburban station will be a SR concrete 30's style station as yet unnamed and the new now named station near the viaduct a GW stone style station.

Before I release their names I need to make a station name plate for the naming ceremony!

#################

My main station now has a name and a draft name plate.

It will be loosely based on Reading, with brick station buildings, subway etc

It inevitably is called: -

1614679975429.png

Last edited:

Peter C

Established Member
I have now named my main station, which will be GW style brick. The suburban station will be a SR concrete 30's style station as yet unnamed and the new now named station near the viaduct a GW stone style station.
Sounds cool - plenty of variation between the different stations.

My main station now has a name and a draft name plate.

It will be loosely based on Reading, with brick station buildings, subway etc

It inevitably is called: -

View attachment 91717
I like it! Something different - and I mean that in a good way. :)

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
My new station now also has a name and draft name plate. Just needs platform, more tracks etc!

Based on an old style GWR main line station in the Cotswolds or maybe further north, with stone finish. No particular era.

The name, agreed with my son as it will be his creative area

It mixes his favourite TV programme with a real GWR station name!

1614681059862.png

Still no mane for my Southern Station yet!

Peter C

Established Member
My new station now also has a name and draft name plate. Just needs platform, more tracks etc!

Based on an old style GWR main line station in the Cotswolds or maybe further north, with stone finish. No particular era.

View attachment 91719

Again - a good name for what sounds like a good station. If you ever need any photos for reference of Cotswold stations then get in touch - the sort of station you're describing sounds a lot like Moreton-in-Marsh or maybe Toddington on the GWSR. :) Proper stations!

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

View attachment 91719

So Mr Dragon. I need to make up some station running in boards, road signs and a couple of other bits but I haven’t got a clue where to start. I did contact someone online who said they’d get back in touch with me but never did.
Any thoughts?

reddragon

Established Member
So Mr Dragon. I need to make up some station running in boards, road signs and a couple of other bits but I haven’t got a clue where to start. I did contact someone online who said they’d get back in touch with me but never did.
Any thoughts?

Found it today

reddragon

Established Member
Grrr

I ordered 2 boxes of track 4 months ago from Hattons that I have not received. Having received the same from Rails in 3 weeks and TMC in 3 days I thought I'd chase them.

To say they were unhelpful was an understatement! They couldn't tell me anything! No idea at all on when deliveries were due or how far I'm from the top of the list. Have they upset Peco or something?

Anyway, ordered 2 boxes from TMC for an extra £4 each, not bad I guess! Should be here this week :)

Peter C

Established Member
Grrr

I ordered 2 boxes of track 4 months ago from Hattons that I have not received. Having received the same from Rails in 3 weeks and TMC in 3 days I thought I'd chase them.

To say they were unhelpful was an understatement! They couldn't tell me anything! No idea at all on when deliveries were due or how far I'm from the top of the list. Have they upset Peco or something?

Anyway, ordered 2 boxes from TMC for an extra £4 each, not bad I guess! Should be here this week :)
That sounds very unlike Hattons. Whenever I've needed to contact them they've been really good - I expect they're just trying to cope with so many orders and the delayed delivery times with lockdowns etc. Peco flexitrack is definitely a valuable commodity at the moment :D

-Peter