• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My son wants to know what this object is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bucephalus

In green park tube station my 4 year old son asked what the object on the ceiling was.

I think it's just a WiFi router but not about the dangly bits. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20190907_164706.jpg
    IMG_20190907_164706.jpg
    833 KB · Views: 275
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alxndr

Established Member
Looks just like a router with four aerials.

Nym

Established Member
It's a Cisco Systems WiFi access point that appears to be one installed under the "Stations WiFi" programme around 8 - 12 years ago.

jellybaby

Washing wifi routers isn't a great idea
Pedantically that's an access point, not a router, and I think the ones they use on the tube are IP67 rated. Waterproof and extended temperature range tend to come together in this kind of kit and I'd expect railway equipment to require the extended temperature. So wash away!

Cisco of course have waterproof routers too, one affectionally known as the hockey puck after the film at
which has coffee being poured on the router in the first few seconds.

ijmad

Established Member
Pedantically that's an access point, not a router, and I think the ones they use on the tube are IP67 rated. Waterproof and extended temperature range tend to come together in this kind of kit and I'd expect railway equipment to require the extended temperature. So wash away!

Hahaha, fair. The hilarious video has me convinced :E

Status
Not open for further replies.