• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My website

Status
Not open for further replies.

devon_metro

Established Member
Hi
I have just updated my website! Some of it is still under construction. I was also wandering if anybody wanted me to put their railway related website onto the links page then i can, if you do just contact me!

Any comments or constructive critisism is greatly appriciated!

Thanks!

>>www.freewebs.com/paigntonbve<<

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi and Welcome to RailUK! :)

Are you from Paignton? I have many happy memories of getting an HST there to stay with my Great Auntie!

Unfortunately I've never travelled on the Paignton and Dartmouth Steam Railway (or if I ever did I was too young to remember).

Do you have a Fotopic site? or just the pics on Freewebs?

devon_metro

Established Member
Yep certainly do live in Paignton!
Yes i only have the photos on the website, first time i photographed a train! Although have always been interested in them, thought i should make an effort! Was quite a surprising day aswell for a sunday in october.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Get photting more then! :) I suggest signing up to Fotopic.

I have always been interested in railways but I only started taking photos last year, it's never too late to start, but the sooner the better.

devon_metro

Established Member
Yes i will have to start taking more pictures. i have the camera although its just the fact that im only 13! (ignore other forums as google autofill is convinced that i am 14? :x remind me to turn it off next time i sign up to a forum :lol: ) so basically its not easy to get out to photograph, paignton which is close being very empty during the winter. Although i hope to go over to dawlish during the half-term. better get begging ;)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Age doesn't matter. For example, Jonathan took this photo when he was about 10 years old and it still got accepted onto Railphotos.net - which is very difficult to get photos accepted on. If you're good enough you're old enough. And the younger you start the easier it is to learn.

I was allowed to go almost anywhere when I was 11 (when my parents decided that they'd taken me on enough trips to travel on trains I guess :lol: ) but sadly I never took any photos :( (until last year, as previously mentioned), I now wish I had.

devon_metro

Established Member
yes i agree about age, although its getting there which is hard, i would be able to but would have to catch numerous busses or pay expensive train fares! Ill have to try harder wont i!?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Are the fares expensive there? If so, get a rover or ranger.

For example,Devon Ranger and that lets you do some scenic lines too, e.g. photos of the sea wall at Dawlish.

If you have a few days to spare and want to go further there is a Devon & Cornwall rover

Also if Jim and his dad Dennis are down near you (they're South West based) they may be able to get you cheaper discounted fares with their railcard.

Met Driver

Established Member
yorkie said:
example,Devon Ranger and that lets you do some scenic lines too, e.g. photos of the sea wall at Dawlish.

The sea wall certainly would be a good place to start! There are of course many photographic vantage points to chose from, with Langstone Rock being my personal favourite. I'm down in your neck of the woods every summer and most Easters as well, and I never get bored of the variety of trains that are squeezed onto those two tracks! Nowadays, there is of course less variety than in recent years, but it still has a lot to offer.

I took these photos during my last visit.

Dennis

Established Member
DVN1357, I was hoping to get down Devon way in October with Jim (don't know his exact plans for half term week), never having been to Exmouth or west of Newton Abbot...contact Jim if you are interested in meeting up.

jd

Indeed, the Dawlish/Paignton area is really great, both for a break and for train stuff. Good for HSTs too.

Don't worry about being new, I only started taking photos 2 months ago!

My photos from your area:
http://jdrailbirmingham.fotopic.net/c647192.html
(Those were some of the first photos I ever took, and I do think it shows..)

The Snap

Established Member
I can't see any text on your BVE Routes page :( . I am quite intrested in the route you are making, so I would love the know how it is going. :D

devon_metro

Established Member
yorkie said:
Are the fares expensive there? If so, get a rover or ranger.

For example,Devon Ranger and that lets you do some scenic lines too, e.g. photos of the sea wall at Dawlish.

If you have a few days to spare and want to go further there is a Devon & Cornwall rover

Also if Jim and his dad Dennis are down near you (they're South West based) they may be able to get you cheaper discounted fares with their railcard.

Hmm i might just do that one day! Yes it is a great place to photograph along the dawlish/teignmouth sea wall, in some places it is only up to a few feet high! Regarding the BVE route i have currently not started this, i will probably just creat a basic route first to get the hag of the coding!

devon_metro

Established Member
jd said:
Indeed, the Dawlish/Paignton area is really great, both for a break and for train stuff. Good for HSTs too.

Don't worry about being new, I only started taking photos 2 months ago!

My photos from your area:
http://jdrailbirmingham.fotopic.net/c647192.html
(Those were some of the first photos I ever took, and I do think it shows..)

very intersting, i dint notice you had pictures of paignton on your site some good photos showing that paignton has an HST! havent seen one there for a while.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
dvn1357 said:
very intersting, i dint notice you had pictures of paignton on your site some good photos showing that paignton has an HST! havent seen one there for a while.
Without checking the FGW TT (you can find them on their site), I'd guess they're Summer only. But you do get quite a few in Summer and even on Virgin CrossCountry (but it is not yet known if that will be repeated next Summer. If it's Meridians I'm off via GNER/FGW!)

devon_metro

Established Member
yorkie said:
dvn1357 said:
Without checking the FGW TT (you can find them on their site), I'd guess they're Summer only. But you do get quite a few in Summer and even on Virgin CrossCountry (but it is not yet known if that will be repeated next Summer. If it's Meridians I'm off via GNER/FGW!)

or in devon; voyagers ;) is the meridan the same as the voyager as from what i have seen it is?
Yes Virgin do still run the odd hst through during summer, including speacial trains for example this year i believe they ran trains down to torbay for people who lost their jobs at rover. I was at goodrington sidings that day aswell when the loco hauled train came into the yard. did i wish i had the camera that day!

devon_metro

Established Member
I was just wandering as i planned to visit dawlish/teignmouth during the half term from the 24-18 october and was wandering if anybody knew of any railtours or special running operating alond this section of line. Any info would be great!

thanks dvn1357

devon_metro

Established Member
No sadly i wasnt aware of this and i was busy, although i did manage to catch union of south africa at Paignton last sunday. Pics are on my site! Thanks for the website.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It is interesting to learn about closed lines. Perhaps you could also add a map/diagram of the line?

devon_metro

Established Member
yorkie said:
It is interesting to learn about closed lines. Perhaps you could also add a map/diagram of the line?

I might just do that! I also plan to add the Teign Valley line, ashburton line, mortonhampsted line and kingsbridge line along with the brixham branch which is currently on my website. I should be adding some photos of the bay platform as it is today as i took a few photos yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.