• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My weird NFM06 find

Status
Not open for further replies.

b0b

Established Member
I used to buy this ticket a lot:

Boundary Zone 4 to East Croydon

That way I could use fast Thameslink services from Farringdon with my purchased Zone 1-4 travelcard via East Croydon, and catch the first train back to Selhurst or Norwood Junction - unfortunately I did not know and was not enlightened I'd have liked a Croydon Stns to Farringdon Und season better and its a cheaper ticket.

anyway

on NFM, 0043 to 5355, 2 SDR fares are shown, Not London (2.90) and Any Permitted (3.40) .... what on earth does the Any Permitted let you do that the Not London does?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Never mind, I think I figured it out. It is possible to have a Zone 2-4 Travelcard Season, so would the 3.40 fare allow you to travel through zone 1 (say on the Thameslink service) whereas the 2.90 would not... ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Perhaps that's it, but I don't know.

Don't forget that 'Boundary Zone' tickets allow people with non-seasons (ie. Day Travelcards) to not have to call at the station where they change from one ticket to another, but if you are using a season ticket, then you can use a ticket from a named station and the train does not need to call. There may be other benefits, such as a choice of route, but the train not needing to call benefit only applies to non-season holders as your season ticket means you do not have to call anyway.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....Never mind, I think I figured it out. It is possible to have a Zone 2-4 Travelcard Season, so would the 3.40 fare allow you to travel through zone 1 (say on the Thameslink service) whereas the 2.90 would not... ?

I thought that at first, but it makes no sense. The FRPP (and I think the NFM before it) is specific in saying the tickets are for use from the outer most zone held on a ticket and if they don't have an inner zone that they would need another ticket to cover that.

For example, a passenger has a Zone R34 season and they are travelling from Mill Hill Broadway (Zone 4) to East Croydon (Zone 5). They would require a ticket from Cricklewood (Zone 3) to Honor Oak Park (or Herne Hill - both Zone 3) in addition to the Boundary Zone 4 to Croydon Stns ticket.

I can think of no reason for a 'not London' fare for this journey.

b0b

Established Member
I can think of no reason for a 'not London' fare for this journey.

I assumed the 'Not London" ticket is the one I would buy, holding the Z1-4 travelcard, to allow me to travel via East Croydon.

Interestingly the "Not London" is priced by ATOC, the "Any Permitted" by Southern, so that makes me think they might be pricing a cross London flow on the WLL?

A60K

From what I remember there a whole load of strange and inconsistent fares on the axis London - East Croydon - Gatwick. For starters on NFM05 there was a £10 Standard Advance single (Southern only) from East Croydon to Gatwick when the First Day Single (Any Permitted) is only £9.60.

I made a post about some of the other weird fares around a year ago here

Status
Not open for further replies.