• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

mystery silver loco through Oakham today

Status
Not open for further replies.

fsmr

Anyone know of any unusal test trains out today
I am in Leeds working but just spoke to my 10 yr old ( a keen spotter!!) who watched a silver painted light locomotive go through Oakham on the Leics Pborough line today Wed 14th April. He couldnt identify it and said it was a bit like a class 31 but boxed in more and had what looked like pantographs (down) on the roof:o
Didnt have any visble numbering or ID and after passing over the remote monitored CCTV LC on Brooke road, cause the barriers to stay down for over an hour till a sprinter came through and they were released. I gather a lot of drivers phoned NWR Derby to complain,
one of those things I know
Anyway, I am unaware of any diesel electrics with OLE let alone silver so anyone know what it was. The mother inlaw was with him at the time and backed it up.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westcoaster

Established Member
Could have been a class 92 being dragged from brush at loughborough towards to ECML.

The only other silver loco is 67029.

fsmr

Could have been a class 92 being dragged from brush at loughborough towards to ECML.

thanks he sadi it was light engin e so rulles out the 92
looks like 67029 if it was in the area
the roof grills do look a bit like pants at a distance and speed
I emailed him the link to look as we dont get 67s through oakham often if at all
plenty of sheds and the odd tug though
Thanks
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
"No Dad it had pantographs" was his reply when i emailed him the pic of the 67 so dunno unless we have someone on the route on here that saw it
Nige

TDK

Established Member

67010, 012, 013, 014 & 015 are also silver in WSMR livery the only one it could have been is 013 as the others are elsewhere

67010, 012, 013, 014 & 015 are also silver in WSMR livery the only one it could have been is 013 as the others are elsewhere

013 hasn't moved from Crewe Electric since 11/03.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
thanks he sadi it was light engin e so rulles out the 92
looks like 67029 if it was in the area
the roof grills do look a bit like pants at a distance and speed
I emailed him the link to look as we dont get 67s through oakham often if at all
plenty of sheds and the odd tug though
Thanks
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
"No Dad it had pantographs" was his reply when i emailed him the pic of the 67 so dunno unless we have someone on the route on here that saw it
Nige

It can't have been light engine if it had a pantograph, and it can't have had a pantograph if it was light engine!

It wasn't some sort of on-track machinery was it?

trainfanatic

Yes, yesterday was an odd day for unusual workings.... I was having my usual morning walk into town (Sleaford) when the west side LC barriers went down around 10h10 and the Washwood Heath/Boston steel emties ran past with a acolas Rail 66 at the head. I had thought that this service only ran on Wednesdays as these were the days I had seen it previously, so not quite sure when it runs - anybody help?

A bit later (around 10h25) I happened to be near the East LC whewn this barrier came down. Expecting to see the 10h25 P'boro/Lincoln service coming into view, I was surprised to see what looked like the railhead treatment train trundle by. This seemed to be formed of half a loco at each end?? with a couple of tanks in between. The logo on the cab sides said something like 'keeping britains railways clear'...so was this a weedkiller train? No sprays were operating and as it was heading towards Grantham/Lincoln, maybe this was what the OP saw?

Established Member
A few track machines about around Leicester today, could have been one of them

fsmr

might have been an mpv as seen here and here, these have a pan of sorts.

thanks guys, this one looks promising if it is self propelled when not on OLE i.e diesel
i will send him a pic he is adamant it had a pan and was not accompanied
he is pretty good at ID on most current stock and heritage locos
as we all were at that age LOL
i could tell a 9f at 2 miles on the old GCR leics in 64:roll:
nige

MCR247

Established Member
thanks guys, this one looks promising if it is self propelled when not on OLE i.e diesel
i will send him a pic he is adamant it had a pan and was not accompanied
he is pretty good at ID on most current stock and heritage locos
as we all were at that age LOL
i could tell a 9f at 2 miles on the old GCR leics in 64:roll:
nige

That is electric only and could not have been running on its own

Status
Not open for further replies.