• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mystery Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheEdge

Established Member
Sadly I only spotted these very briefly in passing so no picture.

Spotted in the GBRf yard north of Peterborough were two green vehicles. They look very much like BR EMU trailer vehicles with the doors and windows covered in their green vinyl livery.

If they were bright yellow I would assume they were NR test vehicles. Does anyone know what they are?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
Those are class 508s that have been converted into Barrier wagons for EMU hauls

najaB

Veteran Member
Do you mean these:

25175066635_023044a74c_c_d.jpg

ryan125hst

Established Member
Does anyone know why these barrier vehicles have a built in generator? I remember seeing a Class 465 at Retford when returning home from uni one weekend in October 2014. One of the barrier vehicles (one of the Mark 1 ones) definitely had a generator vehicle in. Looking through the photos on Flickr, the carbon deposits left by the exhaust can clearly be seen.

Judging by the air vents, it would appear that these ex 508 barrier wagons also contain a generator.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Does anyone know why these barrier vehicles have a built in generator? I remember seeing a Class 465 at Retford when returning home from uni one weekend in October 2014. One of the barrier vehicles (one of the Mark 1 ones) definitely had a generator vehicle in. Looking through the photos on Flickr, the carbon deposits left by the exhaust can clearly be seen.

Judging by the air vents, it would appear that these ex 508 barrier wagons also contain a generator.

They would be translator vehicles rather than barrier vehicles I think.

You need power for electropneumatic brakes. Hence the generator. Means you don't need an ETH fitted loco hauling the formation.

ryan125hst

Established Member
You need power for electropneumatic brakes. Hence the generator. Means you don't need an ETH fitted loco hauling the formation.

Ah I see. Presumably there's equipment onboard that converts the brake demand from the brake pipe to electrical signals that are compatible with the EMU it is connected to?

Status
Not open for further replies.