• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

N Gauge Layout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kettlefan

umm well seeing as most regions are pretty well represented in N gauge these days you could do anything really. For example,

the Swanage branch, Dapol do a good M7, and also an Ivatt 2MT tank. Farish/Bachmann do the Standard 4MT tank (and soon the tender 2-6-0 varient) and the light pacifics in un-rebuilt and rebuilt form, so its definitely a goer for that line (you could even use the farish 33 correctly, and Dapol are doing a Q1 which although not all that authentic is an interesting southern loco!).

Random ex-GWR line: Farish do a Hall, a Prairie, a Castle and King, as well as panniers of various types. Dapol do the 14xx tanks and 45xx prairies (slope and non-slope tanks). Peco make a REALLY good (so good I thought it was 00 gauge until I read the text below the photo (it was on a table so there were no big rails to give it away!) 22xx Collett Goods tender loco. The best bit about this loco (well for DCC advocates anyway) is that its not only DCC ready, its already chipped in the factory. Costs about 120 sovs though :? ooo errr pricey! So basically anything from a country branchline with an auto train, to a busy mainline with Kings and Castles tearing past Halls on milk trains, complete with Dapol 6 whl tankers!

LMS regions: mostly Farish, most of the famous LMS types well represented (no Princess though, or Scot or even Patriot :?), black 5, 8F, Duchess, Jinty are some. As mentioned, Dapol do a very good Ivatt tank. Seeing as the Crab and Compound are made by GF, a cross country route would be a viable idea. Peco used to make a nice model of a Jubilee, with a conversion kit to turn it into a Royal Scot. Unfortunately its no longer made, and those that are still around are usually broken, they also fetch megabucks for good running ones on Ebay.

LNER regions: Again loads of the bog standard freight locos done by Union Mills, Farish and Minitrix do (or did in the latter case) A3s and A4s, along with a V2 of varying quality. Kits widely available for cool locos like the sentinal shunters.

so really you could do a model of anywhere (at a push). I've been thinking about how snazzy a model of Corfe Castle would be in N gauge, seeing as all the main locos (except the Q and N class, but the Q can be kitbuilt) are available RTR. I could do a reasonably scale model of the station in a reasonable space. Of course though, I really cannot afford to start buying the rather expensive locos to populate the line, as I have enough projects to sort out this summer. I'm also too hamfisted to do N to be honest!

Nick

Best bet is look through a N Gauge catolgue and pick out the locos you like, then just see whaich has the majority and model that region.

Status
Not open for further replies.