• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

N gauge locos : how do you know how many axles are electrical pick up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin Smith

When buying N gauge locos how can you tell how many axles are electrical pick up ?
Is there a time period after which this is the case ?
I am bidding on a Graham Farish Black 5 on E bay, it seems to have pick up from the drive wheels and the tender as there appears to be wires from the latter to the loco,

My 1970s locos :
Lima Clas 31 = 3 axles off the non powered bogie pick up (and only two axles of the powered bogie area actually powered ! ), fairly poor runner
Lime Class 17 lookalike (actually some German type in BR livery) = only 2 axles of 4 pick up (and the same 2 are powered), very poor runner
Minitrix 2-6-0 = it no longer works but I think it has pick ups on the tender plus 2 of the powered wheels.

1990s ?
Grafar GWR Pannier tank = all 3 axles pick up (?) and powered (gets "gapped" on points quite often...)

Modern 2000s ?
Graham Farish Chinese Deltic = All axles appear to be pick up and all are powered (runs very well)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
Attach short bits of wire (6” or a bit more) to the 12 or 16 volt outlets of your controller. Turn your loco upside down and touch one wire to a wheel on one side and the other to a wheel on the other. It is best not to put the controller too high, as the loco may fall over even if it is held in an ad hoc jig (two paperback books, for example). A couple of minutes of touching the wires against different wheels will tell you what is what.

Others may have better suggestions.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Attach short bits of wire (6” or a bit more) to the 12 or 16 volt outlets of your controller. Turn your loco upside down and touch one wire to a wheel on one side and the other to a wheel on the other. It is best not to put the controller too high, as the loco may fall over even if it is held in an ad hoc jig (two paperback books, for example). A couple of minutes of touching the wires against different wheels will tell you what is what.

I think that’s a very good and simple suggestion actually.

Justin Smith

Good idea. I also use a battery pack (with 6 removable AAs) with a piece of cable attached. I also find this handy for rotating the wheels of the loco (so I can get all round them) whilst cleaning the wheels with my Fibre pencil.

I don't suppose anyone knows how many pick ups the aforementioned Farish Black Five has ? ! ?

Status
Not open for further replies.