• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Name on Virgin eTicket - purchaser and/or passenger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CliveA

My girlfriend bought an Advance Virgin eTicket for a friend - the kind you print out at home. In hindsight, she now sees that her own name is printed on the ticket and she must be travelling with the card used to buy the ticket.

For the journey in question my girlfriend already had her own, more flexible, ticket sorted. Their original plan was to arrive on different trains and meet at their destination.

Now she's seen that her name is printed on the ticket, she is changing plans to join her friend on the same train.

As mentioned, her own ticket is not an issue - she has one previously arranged. My question is that if person A has bought a ticket for person B, and person A's name is printed on the ticket, is it OK for person B to use the ticket, as long as person A is present?

We tried calling Virgin to ask about this, but they were quite unhelpful, so someone recommended I ask here.

Thanks very much.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I think if the named cardholder is present then there will be no problem.

If they are travelling on the same train then your girlfriend could always present the eTicket and give her paper ticket to the friend (unless there's issues with e.g. Railcards which make this a no-go).

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
In general tickets are not transferable. However, I believe this is to stop the commercial resale of tickets to third parties not the use of tickets bought by one family member (or friend in this case) for the use of another.

If the journeys are identical then your GF could use the ticket issued in her name (remember to carry the purchasing card) and her friend the flexible ticket.

I do not think that a problem will occur on the day

(Damn -LexyBoy beat me to it)

Last edited:

CliveA

Thanks both.

My girlfriend's own ticket is photographically related to a railcard, so swapsies won't work. But I feel reassured that her presence is enough to make the eTicket valid.

Anyone disagree before I relax?

calc7

Established Member
Thanks both.

My girlfriend's own ticket is photographically related to a railcard, so swapsies won't work. But I feel reassured that her presence is enough to make the eTicket valid.

How is this exactly?

CliveA

calc7 - I didn't quite use the right words there, but we were lucky enough to win some complimentary Virgin passes in a competition, and they have photographs.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You are allowed to buy tickets for someone else, just not allowed to sell/transfer tickets bought for yourself to someone else. Having the payment card is security against printing multiple tickets, but I can't see anything wrong with the actual ticket being for someone else in a group. In fact, if you bought multiple tickets together they would all have the same name on them even if they were for a group of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.