• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Name the town...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

4SRKT

Established Member

Hehehe!

This town has two railway stations on two different, unconnected lines. Unusually for the part of the country it's in, until fairly recently both lines were unelectrified, although since then one has been connected to the juice.

<tumbleweed blows through thread>

Last edited:

Established Member
Tricky one that, can narrow it down to a few parts of the UK but nowhere close to name a town yet.

4SRKT

Established Member
Another clue?

Before electrification of one of the lines, its diesel services were formed by conventional DMUs from a neighbouring region. The diesels at the other station were a type of unit unique to this region, now sadly consigned to history.

4SRKT

Established Member
Taken me ages but Bradford? It has two stations, on 2 seperate lines, one of which was only electrified in 1994

Sorry, no. Totally wrong end of the country. One of the stations bears just the town's (not city's) name, and the other has the town name plus a suffix.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Edenbridge and Edenbridge Town: Edenbridge on the electrified Redhill-Tonbridge, and Edenbridge Town on the un-electrified Oxted-Uckfield. Both have never been connected. Am I right?

4SRKT

Established Member
3 posts above that wins...

So it does! That'll teach me to go straight to the last post!

Okay, this town had two stations with similar names bearing the town's name, both were termini, both closed, one much earlier than the other due to it's limited use

Despite neither station being reopened, there is an NR station in the area bearing the towns name

Bodmin North and Bodmin General?

Last edited:

manaichain

Westcliff-on-Sea, Essex (formerly Didcot, Oxfordsh
Oooh very good, not the one i was thinking of, but i'll give you a point for finding some that fit the description, Bodmin North being the SR terminus of the small stub from their Okehampton to Padstow line, Bodmin General, while not a terminus, was a dead end station like Killarney and Carmarthen today n that continued journeys had to reverse, and the BR staton being Bodmin Road, now Bodmin Parkway.

Another clue, the 2 original stations approached the town from opposite ends, were not linked, and post grouping were still rival companies. The BR station opened decades after they had gone, on the site of a former stopping point on one of the 2 lines.

4SRKT

Established Member
Of course! Ebbw Vale. LNW in from the north and GW from the south. New station at EV Parkway.

madannie77

Sounds like it might be Ebbw Vale.

Another town which almost fitted the original question is Ramsgate, although both Ramsgate Harbour and Ramsgate Town closed in 1926 when the new station was built.

EDIT:

Beaten to it by a short head (or six minutes!)

Last edited:

4SRKT

Established Member
Beaten to it by a short head (or six minutes!)

Annoying isn't it! ;)

Next one: This 'town' (actually a village) had two stations on two different pre-grouping company lines, which also ended up in different Big Four companies. One station survives. There is a link from the surviving station onto the other company's line, which helped ensure the survival of services to the town at the end of that line by allowing them to be diverted to a more direct route to the major centre at the other end of the line.

4SRKT

Established Member
I was going to say Buxton, but its not a village.

You're right, it's not ;)

The now abandoned railway was LMS and passed under the LNER route. The connecting link runs from the LNER station onto the LMS route at a point beyond the LMS station. The stub of the LMS route survived for many years as a loading point for a type of freight that is produced in the area in large quantities.

I'm not going to use the pre-grouping companies' names 'cos that would be too easy!

4SRKT

Established Member
Ebbw Vale was right! I'm going to say North Walsham, the major centre being Norwich

Again the wrong end of the country, although I like your style. Important difference is that North Walsham is not a junction. The subject of this question is, by virtue of the spur connecting the LNER station to the LMS route (now effecttively a branch off the 'main' LNER line).

Mvann

This town is on a main line to London, but the station wasn't built by the company that built that line. The original line to that town wasn't connected to the main line till after grouping.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Epsom?

The original Epsom Town station ( LBSCR ) was in the Upper High Street ( the remains are still extant ); the tracks from that line ran through the LSWR station on the present Epsom station site via non-platform roads.

The present Epsom station, built on the site of that LSWR one, was done by the Southern Railway in the 1930s and finally allowed the service from the Sutton direction to call at the main station site, at which point Epsom Town station was closed.

Mvann

No. The original line did go to London, but not via a direct route. The original line ran parallel to the main line going northwards for a couple of miles before going underneath and heading east.

Status
Not open for further replies.