Named Trains 2020

Condor7

A few years ago I posted an up to date list of the present day named, or some call them titled trains, running in the UK and with the help from one or two on here I was able to tweak it for accuracy.

i decided it would be a good idea to update it but could do with some more help. From my previous list there are two named trains that appear to have gone missing. I use the Network Rail national timetable but cannot find these two for love or money, but I do know some times local printed timetables can include them, or more commonly exclude them.

The two concerned are The Robin Hood, London St.Pancras to Nottingham previously on table 53, East Midlands Rail
The other is The Merchant Venturer London Paddington to Penzance (Bristol Temple Meads to Paddington on the return journey) previously table 126 GWR.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

In the EMR timetable before may the Robin Hood was still named both ways. 1634 from London and 0800 from Nottingham.

Condor7

The Caledonian sleeper is a brand not an actual named train. I believe it was once a named train known as The Night Caledonian but that was dropped in 1996.

Don't the Caledonian Sleepers have names?
The Caledonian sleeper is a brand not an actual named train. I believe it was once a named train known as The Night Caledonian but that was dropped in 1996.
I think the Caledonian Sleeper still uses the names for the two services out of London. The Inverness, Aberdeen and Fort William service is called the Highlander wile the Glasgow and Edinburgh service is the Lowlander.

hexagon789

Established Member
I think the Caledonian Sleeper still uses the names for the two services out of London. The Inverness, Aberdeen and Fort William service is called the Highlander wile the Glasgow and Edinburgh service is the Lowlander.
Each portion used to have its own name iirc

Mag_seven

Established Member
Associate Staff
General Discussion
The sleepers from London to Scotland have all carried formal names at various times over the years such as "The Night Limited", "The Royal Highlander" etc.

Condor7

While this does not help with my original question, you raise an interesting point and highlights some of the anomaly’s when discussing named trains. Certain trains are given unofficial name such as the two you mention, the Highland also referred to as The Deerstalker, but they have never been officially recognised which is a shame. It is something similar to the Daventry to Mossend container trains being referred to as The Tesco Express, a term most use, but has never been officially recognised.

A similar anomaly and a twist on what I have just said is The One Wales Express Holyhead to Cardiff otherwise known as The Gerard named after the traveller and Archdeacon of Brecon in 2008. This is an official named train but never appears as such in any timetables (unless you know different).