• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Named trains on the GEML?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blillpers

Hi!
Have there been any named expresses on the GEML in the past? Google can't find anything. At least a couple of years back, there was a limited stop service from Norwich to London in the morning, and back in the evening named "The East Anglian". The service still runs, but is it still named?:)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

w0033944

Hi!
Have there been any named expresses on the GEML in the past? Google can't find anything. At least a couple of years back, there was a limited stop service from Norwich to London in the morning, and back in the evening named "The East Anglian". The service still runs, but is it still named?:)

"The Broadsman" is the obvious one - Liverpool St. to Cromer and Sheringham via. Norwich. Then you had the boat trains from Liverpool St. to Harwich Parkeston Quay, Such as "The Hook Continental", "The Flushing Continental", "The Day Continental" and "The Antwerp Continental". Of course, these were steam-era services - I model the ECML, though I live within 2 miles of the GEML, and my info. comes from a friend who is an expert of the lines of the old Great Eastern and Midland & Great Northern Joint railways. I'm not sure what, if any, named services ran more recently than that.

Established Member
Here we go - taken from the timetable commencing 25 September 1950 !!

The Broadsman
07.30 Norwich to Liverpool St
15.40 Liverpool St to Norwich

The Norfolkman
10.00 Liverpool St to Norwich
17.00 Norwich to Liverpool St

The East Anglian
11.40 Norwich to Liverpool St
18.40 Liverpool St to Norwich

Some of the appear to have portions to Yarmouth / Lowestoft / Cromer but the timetable is not at all easy to read. Someone with better historical knowledge than me will know.

The Hook Continental
07.15 Harwich Parkeston Quay to Liverpool St
20.00 Liverpool St to Harwich Parkeston Quay

The Day Continental
09.25 Liverpool St to Harwich Parkeston Quay
19.35 Harwich Parkeston Quay to Liverpool St

The Scandinavian
10.05 Liverpool St to Harwich Town
13.45 Harwich Town to Liverpool St

More recently just the 07.40 Norwich to Liverpool St and 17.00 Liverpool St to Norwich have been marketed as The East Anglian, but a few years ago the National Rail Timetable Policy Board (yes there was one!) had a bit of a downer on named trains and many disappeared.

w0033944

The Broadsman
07.30 Norwich to Liverpool St
15.40 Liverpool St to Norwich

The Norfolkman
10.00 Liverpool St to Norwich
17.00 Norwich to Liverpool St

The East Anglian
11.40 Norwich to Liverpool St
18.40 Liverpool St to Norwich

Some of the appear to have portions to Yarmouth / Lowestoft / Cromer but the timetable is not at all easy to read. Someone with better historical knowledge than me will know.

The Hook Continental
07.15 Harwich Parkeston Quay to Liverpool St
20.00 Liverpool St to Harwich Parkeston Quay

The Day Continental
09.25 Liverpool St to Harwich Parkeston Quay
19.35 Harwich Parkeston Quay to Liverpool St

The Scandinavian
10.05 Liverpool St to Harwich Town
13.45 Harwich Town to Liverpool St

More recently just the 07.40 Norwich to Liverpool St and 17.00 Liverpool St to Norwich have been marketed as The East Anglian, but a few years ago the National Rail Timetable Policy Board (yes there was one!) had a bit of a downer on named trains and many disappeared.

How did I forget The Norfolkman?:oops:

Established Member
When Anglia Railways re-introduced the 17.00 Liverpool St to Norwich as the East Anglian, there was a suggestion at First Great Eastern to name the 17.00Liverpool St to Ilford as The Eastender, with a trolley service of pie and mash and jellied eels. For some reason that never happenned ;)

Trainfan344

Established Member
There was also The Easterling (Liverpool Street to Beccles non-stop then two portions split, one for Lowestoft, and one for Yarmouth South Town

dk1

Veteran Member
Hi!

Still named in timetables but Greater Anglia & the previous franchise operator NXEA (who re-introduced it for publicity) both do absolutley nothing to advertise it via screen or PA. Very half hearted since day one.

Veteran Member

Or an easier-to-read timetable :)

1958 Summer (by which time the hourly interval service was running)
- The Norfolkman and Broadsman ran to Sheringham (via Cromer by then)
- the Easterling was Yarmouth and Lowestoft via the East Suffolk

There were also various Summer Saturday trains labelled as "Holiday Camps Express" and there was the "Clacton Interval Service".

The "North Country Continental" from Parkeston, but that was an unofficial name (?)

Condor7

Hi!
At least a couple of years back, there was a limited stop service from Norwich to London in the morning, and back in the evening named "The East Anglian". The service still runs, but is it still named?:)

It still runs and is listed in both the Network Rail national timetable, and the Middleton Press 'Rail Times' timetable.

It the 07:05 Norwich to London Liverpool Street, and returns to Norwich at 18:22.

Blillpers

Are you sure? The 0740 Norwich - London is about 15 minutes faster than the 0705, and calls at Diss and Ipswhich only (the 0705 calls at Diss, Stowmarket, Ipswich, Manningtree, Colchester and Stratford). :)

SprinterMan

Established Member
It still runs and is listed in both the Network Rail national timetable, and the Middleton Press 'Rail Times' timetable.

It the 07:05 Norwich to London Liverpool Street, and returns to Norwich at 18:22.

I was under the impression that it was the 0740 NRW-LST, and 1700 LST-NRW, as these are the trains that only call at Diss and Ipswich.

Adam :D

Last edited:

Established Member
I was under the impression that it was the 0740 NRW-LST, and 1700 LST-NRW, as these are the trains that only all at Diss and Ipswich.

Adam :D

That is correct SprinterMan. Whatever Condor7 is reading up there in Appleby it isn't right - the only 18.22 departure from Liverpool St Mon - Fri goes to Cheshunt !

More from the 1950 timetable, although not GEML but still using Liverpool St, we have:

The Fenman
06.45 Hunstanton / 07.57 Bury St Edmunds to Liverpool St
16.30 Liverpool St to Bury St Edmunds and Hunstanton
Joining and splitting at Cambridge

By 9 September 1963 back on the GEML we find:

The Essex Coast Express
08.03 Clacton-on-Sea / 08.01 Walton-on-Naze to Liverpool St
17.38 Liverpool St to Clacton-on-Sea and Walton-on-Naze
Joining and splitting at Thorpe-le-Soken
Worked by class 309 EMU's which had recently been introduced.

Condor7

That is correct SprinterMan. Whatever Condor7 is reading up there in Appleby it isn't right - the only 18.22 departure from Liverpool St Mon - Fri goes to Cheshunt

I don't know what it was either but by god it was good.........it certainly effected my vision. :)

I was looking at completely the wrong column, it is of course the 07:40 from Norwich, and returning at 18:42.

Oh well back to the bottle!!!:oops:

dk1

Veteran Member
Back in Intercity 90s days some names where brought back apart from the constant East Anglian. These where...

07.05 ex-Norwich The Broadsman
07.55 ex-Norwich The East Anglian

08.00 ex-Liverpool St The Norfolkman
17.00 ex Liverpool St The East Anglian

Today we just have The East Anglian name used loosly on the 07.40up/17.00dn.

causton

Established Member
Don't forget the 19.30 ex-Norwich special the Dusty Bin* ;) - which I booked myself on by accident and it was nice to see the contrast between the loco hauled and the EMU ;)

*of course i'm lying

Status
Not open for further replies.