• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Narrow gauge rail south of Hanover, north of Alfeld - Germany ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eMeS

Back in 1959, I took a photo of a narrow gauge railway* (with steam loco on it) running by the side of a road (definitely not an autobahn) - perhaps in the Elze area. A quick Google search comes up with no suggestions, so I wondered if our experts here know what I might have snapped.

* From my snap, I'm guessing that it was around 2' gauge, with the loco overhanging the track.

Many Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Last edited:

eMeS

Thank you so much.
I've looked at several of the books / links you suggested, and it seems to fit my poor quality snap and memories of where it was taken. I was serving at an RAF station sited in the Ith Hils north-east of Escherhausen, and each day our couriers visited Hanover rail station and airport, and occasionally I was in the party.

Struner

it seems the limeworks was closed in 1961 & dismantling started in 1962. Here the train passes through Marienhagen.
---Peter.

21294800.jpg

Struner

When the wipers were still sitting somewhere on the windscreen ;). Was it a beetle with specs?
I like the man with the flag as well.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
For what it's worth, the engines in the two photos don't look the same, so the line must have had at least 2 of them!
The loco in the "Beetle" photo may well have been the same one as on the ebay web site.
If I translate properly, the men in that photo are having a glass of (non-alcoholic) beer to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the line's opening - so it must have been in 1932.

Status
Not open for further replies.