• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Express Departing Early

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rothy

Hi, just wondered if anyone on here has had a similar experience and what the response was from Nat Ex, and whether I should bother pressing a proper complaint (can't see any other threads covering this, but please let me know if there are).

My friend had a ticket for the 18.45 201 from Bristol to Heathrow. We arrived at the bus station at 18.35 to see a 201 pulling out and driving off - I assumed it had the wrong sign on or was going to drive around and come back or something.

Two minutes later the 18.45 disappeared from the departure board and I realized the 201 I saw leaving must have been it. I was beyond shocked. All the Nat Ex offices at Bristol are shut at this time of day, I asked the 040 driver about it and he was beyond useless. So I called Nat Ex and she said she could change the ticket to the next journey (0040), and then said that would cost £23 in amendment fees!! She kept banging on about how the t&cs say you should be there 10 mins before departure - which we were (just) anyway. Regardless, posters at the bus station say things like 'aim to get there ten mins before ' and certainly not that the driver can just leave 10 mins early.

I told the woman we would think about what to do. Called back and someone else answered and said it could be amended for free because it had left early!

Sorry for going on a bit, but Im mainly interested to see if anyone else has had this happen, and just want to check I'm not the only who thinks Nat Ex behaved ridiculously in both departing early and initially trying to charge for it. Surely the driver has the list of passengers so knew there would be more?? Furthermore, fortunately my friend was not flying anywhere but if she had been telling her to just get a coach six hours later is unbelievable

(ps there was another passenger who arrived at the same time thus also missing it)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

overthewater

Established Member
Does not surprise me, butch of cowboys at heart. Still not the worse thing I ever saw Nat Exp do, I've seen one of there drivers trying run down a passengers in Victoria bus station, mind you the staff there are just as bad... Again that all happened because there tried to run early...

westcoaster

Established Member
Hi, just wondered if anyone on here has had a similar experience and what the response was from Nat Ex, and whether I should bother pressing a proper complaint (can't see any other threads covering this, but please let me know if there are).

My friend had a ticket for the 18.45 201 from Bristol to Heathrow. We arrived at the bus station at 18.35 to see a 201 pulling out and driving off - I assumed it had the wrong sign on or was going to drive around and come back or something.

Two minutes later the 18.45 disappeared from the departure board and I realized the 201 I saw leaving must have been it. I was beyond shocked. All the Nat Ex offices at Bristol are shut at this time of day, I asked the 040 driver about it and he was beyond useless. So I called Nat Ex and she said she could change the ticket to the next journey (0040), and then said that would cost £23 in amendment fees!! She kept banging on about how the t&cs say you should be there 10 mins before departure - which we were (just) anyway. Regardless, posters at the bus station say things like 'aim to get there ten mins before ' and certainly not that the driver can just leave 10 mins early.

I told the woman we would think about what to do. Called back and someone else answered and said it could be amended for free because it had left early!

Sorry for going on a bit, but Im mainly interested to see if anyone else has had this happen, and just want to check I'm not the only who thinks Nat Ex behaved ridiculously in both departing early and initially trying to charge for it. Surely the driver has the list of passengers so knew there would be more?? Furthermore, fortunately my friend was not flying anywhere but if she had been telling her to just get a coach six hours later is unbelievable

(ps there was another passenger who arrived at the same time thus also missing it)

Are not all nat ex coaches tracked, for the app. Would that be archived anywhere.

Rothy

Are not all nat ex coaches tracked, for the app. Would that be archived anywhere.

Well yes, and both the people I spoke to on the phone checked the record and admitted it left early, however the first one said it is allowed to just leave 10 mins early and it was therefore entirely my fault!

Qwerty133

Established Member
Slightly off topic but I regularly catch a NX service that is never a NX vehicle and the number of passengers that get left behind because they don't realise it is the NX service is ridiculous. This is despite the route number being clearly displayed on the electronic display on the front of the bus.

overthewater

Established Member
Slightly off topic but I regularly catch a NX service that is never a NX vehicle and the number of passengers that get left behind because they don't realise it is the NX service is ridiculous. This is despite the route number being clearly displayed on the electronic display on the front of the bus.

This has happened to Megabus passengers aswell.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's a sloppy culture by bus drivers that you get all over the place, though it has been reduced heavily by GPS tracking as they can get caught that way, pre GPS it was hard to prove it.

Report it. There is not, never has been and cannot ever be any justification whatsoever for early running on any public transport service[1] unless officially sanctioned by Control and properly publicised.

Late running can be excused, early running cannot.

[1] Other than the two niche cases of an aircraft where you can know everyone has boarded, or a bus that is running full and will therefore not be able to pick up any further passengers anyway.

Martin2012

Out of interest which service is this?

Qwerty133

Established Member
Out of interest which service is this?

Stotts' Friday and Sunday only run on the 311 (although I am more on about the norhbound run on a Sunday).
To be fair the drivers do tend to try and tell people waiting that it is the 311 NX service so it is passenger stupidity (staying indoors until seeing the coach arrive etc) that causes it and their coaches seem to be in much better condition than NX branded coaches of the same age.

Last edited:
Mainland European coach companies always seem to have a set of clips to hold a very large "branding board" on both sides, which is used whenever a coach is hired in that way. Why I wonder is that so rare in the UK?

i've seen them on coaches used by the coach holiday companies where the operator obviously has contracts with more than one of the marketing operations - that that may to avoid sending the 'wrong' coach on a job

anti-pacer

Established Member
I used to work for them as the assistant manager in one of their travel offices. Back in my day NX bent over backwards for passengers. Seems things have changed!

Whilst the OP's friend should have got there AT LEAST 10 minutes early, there is certainly no excuse for the driver leaving early.

As for the use of non-branded coaches, it made no difference to our passengers where I worked. Even if it was a branded coach with "London" on the front and side destination displays, and even though I would stand there with a microphone announcing that this was the coach to London, I still had passengers asking which was the coach to London (other destinations also applicable).

pitdiver

I used to work for them as the assistant manager in one of their travel offices. Back in my day NX bent over backwards for passengers. Seems things have changed!

Whilst the OP's friend should have got there AT LEAST 10 minutes early, there is certainly no excuse for the driver leaving early.

As for the use of non-branded coaches, it made no difference to our passengers where I worked. Even if it was a branded coach with "London" on the front and side destination displays, and even though I would stand there with a microphone announcing that this was the coach to London, I still had passengers asking which was the coach to London (other destinations also applicable).

Quite agree with what anti-pacer says. I also worked for NX as a Customer Experience Manager. at the famous Milton Keynes Coachway.nI can remember standing in front of a Decker on the 570 service going to Blackpool. A big sign on the front saying BLACKPOOL and me announcing the destinations and still be asked where the Blackpool coach was. Must be something about coach travellers.

PeterC

Established Member
Considering that I have read an account of passengers at a country stop attempting to board a London trolleybus being towed to a rally nothing about the behaviour of the public will suprise me.

My experience, working in the entertainment industry, is that verbal announcements to a queue or other group will usually be ignored.

Mwanesh

As a coach driver i could write a book.Some of the passengers are just idiots believe me.A few weeks ago at London Victoria a passenger going to Glasgow made a cock up i am still laughing.I was on London Cardiff route.She put her luggage on the Glasgow bound coach trailer and walked into my Cardiff bound coach .3.5 hours later i pull into Cardiff and this woman starts screaming driver you have lost a trailer.I was startled and i asked her what she meant after a few minutes i started making to sense of what she had done.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
As a coach driver i could write a book.Some of the passengers are just idiots believe me.A few weeks ago at London Victoria a passenger going to Glasgow made a cock up i am still laughing.I was on London Cardiff route.She put her luggage on the Glasgow bound coach trailer and walked into my Cardiff bound coach .3.5 hours later i pull into Cardiff and this woman starts screaming driver you have lost a trailer.I was startled and i asked her what she meant after a few minutes i started making to sense of what she had done.

Stupid question - how did she get past you without having her ticket checked? I have generally observed Nat Ex drivers to be pretty strict on ensuring they have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.