• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Express funfares

Status
Not open for further replies.

317 forever

Established Member
For the last few weeks, Funfares have been published as being available on routes such as Manchester-Newcastle and Bristol-Oxford just until Saturday 21st July. Does anyone know whether they are being suspended for the summer school holidays or are about to be released? If these are suspended, I may need to book a Megabus or Advance rail ticket asap!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
I think it does have something to do with the olympics speaking to drivers I know.

Although there should still be funfares available at certains times on certain routes. In fact Natioanl express seem to be prediction a sharp increase in passenger numbers during the summer with a lot of people avoiding London & the south east so expect certain routes such as Swansea - Blackpool to be heaving and needing duplicates.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I think the Olympics will have a big effect on transport. Not only will there be a big influx of visitors to areas where events are being staged, but people may also head to places which are not hosting any Olympics related events in order to avoid the crowds.

Plus, there may be extra Brits staying at home this year, because of the economy and the Summer of Celebration, who will also put pressure on roads, trains and coaches.

I have certainly noticed a big difference in the price of hotels everywhere in the UK this Summer. There also seems to be far fewer cheaper rail and coach tickets around from mid/late July onwards.

anthony263

Established Member
Yes and I can see the Heart of wales line and pembroke dock services being very overcrowded.

Megabus were supposed to be looking at running additional services to cope with passenger numbers in fact I think many small coach operators could benefit from being asked to do national express duplicate work.

317 forever

Established Member
Some more funfares were released on Monday to cover at least part of the school summer holidays. I thus booked the Manchester-Newcastle journey I had planned. It was not as cheap during the day as prior to the holidays but still cheaper than had I booked a flexible single.

I could have booked Megabus but I prefer the likely more modern coach and lack of stop at Leeds among other benefits. Besides, I am then spending a few days in Cumbria and returning via Stagecoach buses, so prefer to travel outbound by another company for variety!

Status
Not open for further replies.