• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Express Coaches Discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
I noticed the Bournemouth to Gatwick services have been cut back to Heathrow. That didn't last long.

dan5324

On Moderation
After I booked a cheaper than normal ticket through Wizz Air on the Green line 757 for my flight, I'm now looking if there is a deal booking National Express from Ryanair.

However, in the flight booking process, it didn't let me choose Golders Green as my transfer destination. After the flight booking Ryanair sent me an email to add airport transfer which I could select Golders Green on the A6 route, however it was more expensive than booking direct from National Express.
The Ryanair tickets are worthless when it's busy as you won’t have a guaranteed seat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Titfield

Established Member
I noticed the Bournemouth to Gatwick services have been cut back to Heathrow. That didn't last long.

Saddened to hear this but from a customer point of view it is a bit of an ask to effectively go the wrong way at the M3/M25 intersection ie to Heathrow then do a 360 degree turn to go back to Gatwick.

Smethwickian

Driver shortages partly to blame. No sooner had the 204 been reintroduced from Poole to Gatwick than services were cancelled day after day due to Solent Coaches 'handing back' journeys at relatively short notice due to non-availability. Even cut back to run Bournemouth to Heathrow there are plenty of random hires every week from a wide range of operators as the supposed contractor still fails to run all the trips.

Titfield

Established Member
Driver shortages partly to blame. No sooner had the 204 been reintroduced from Poole to Gatwick than services were cancelled day after day due to Solent Coaches 'handing back' journeys at relatively short notice due to non-availability. Even cut back to run Bournemouth to Heathrow there are plenty of random hires every week from a wide range of operators as the supposed contractor still fails to run all the trips.

In the 1980s National Travel SW / Shamrock and Rambler used to hire in Seaview Coaches of Parkstone to cover any additional workings. On the peak summer saturdays National Travel hired in from far and wide with many NBC operators providing just about anything suitable including coaches which had been relegated to dp status / work.

route101

Established Member
Saddened to hear this but from a customer point of view it is a bit of an ask to effectively go the wrong way at the M3/M25 intersection ie to Heathrow then do a 360 degree turn to go back to Gatwick.
Yes Indeed, I doubt they will bring back the NX routes to Gatwick that used to run up Portsmouth.

dan5324

On Moderation
Interesting. Is the purpose of this to replace or supplement New Covent Garden for coach layover?
It’s a whole new depot. Or will be. To be the base of Stansted A services, some Luton A services and limited long distance cross country services.

Butts

Veteran Member
On Sunday we arrived back from the USA into T3 at Heathrow.

Due to a delay in the flight arrival / baggage reclaim we would have missed our booked Train to Birmingham from Euston.

The WCML was in a bit of a meltdown with lots of services either cancelled of full.

Seeking an alternative we were able to book National Express tickets at £10 each literally hours before we travelled from Victoria to Birmingham.

Utilising our pre-purchased Heathrow Express and the Tube we proceeded to Victoria Coach Station and joined the 1430 Direct to Birmingham non-stop.

It was not a National Express coach so they must be farming some services out.

Although it took twice as long as the Train and was a bit uncomfortable I am still amazed at how cheap it was booked hours before.

Thanks for getting us home.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Had an interesting experience a couple of weeks ago during the rail strikes. Was heading to a gig in Swindon and needed to get back home in Bristol that evening. Ended up on the National Express at something past midnight. Was fairly full on arriving into Swindon as it is the last coach from London to there, but literally everyone emptied out leaving just myself and my partner to get on and be the only passengers onward to Bristol. I guess because there are more direct and later coaches to Bristol nobody in their right mind would use this one all the way! The two drivers onboard were great though, very friendly and happy to have a chat and a few jokes. And it only cost a fiver each! We've been on some quiet coach journeys before but never been literally the only passengers!

route101

Established Member
Had an interesting experience a couple of weeks ago during the rail strikes. Was heading to a gig in Swindon and needed to get back home in Bristol that evening. Ended up on the National Express at something past midnight. Was fairly full on arriving into Swindon as it is the last coach from London to there, but literally everyone emptied out leaving just myself and my partner to get on and be the only passengers onward to Bristol. I guess because there are more direct and later coaches to Bristol nobody in their right mind would use this one all the way! The two drivers onboard were great though, very friendly and happy to have a chat and a few jokes. And it only cost a fiver each! We've been on some quiet coach journeys before but never been literally the only passengers!
The 040 is the direct Bristol service. One of the more frequent services on the network. Did your service go via Bath?

On Sunday we arrived back from the USA into T3 at Heathrow.

Due to a delay in the flight arrival / baggage reclaim we would have missed our booked Train to Birmingham from Euston.

The WCML was in a bit of a meltdown with lots of services either cancelled of full.

Seeking an alternative we were able to book National Express tickets at £10 each literally hours before we travelled from Victoria to Birmingham.

Utilising our pre-purchased Heathrow Express and the Tube we proceeded to Victoria Coach Station and joined the 1430 Direct to Birmingham non-stop.

It was not a National Express coach so they must be farming some services out.

Although it took twice as long as the Train and was a bit uncomfortable I am still amazed at how cheap it was booked hours before.

Thanks for getting us home.
£10 is a good price. The Heathrow to Birmingham price would of been higher. Quite often when I have looked short notice NX service have sold out, so you were lucky.

Butts

Veteran Member
The 040 is the direct Bristol service. One of the more frequent services on the network. Did your service go via Bath?

£10 is a good price. The Heathrow to Birmingham price would of been higher. Quite often when I have looked short notice NX service have sold out, so you were lucky.

I was surprised when my son told me the price particularly bearing in mind the Rail problems the same day,

There were several other options at £10 on other services that afternoon.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
It was the 401 which normally only goes as far as Swindon, or sometimes through to Frome. But there's one journey a day (two on a Friday i believe) that goes into Bristol and that is the one we were on. Didn't go via Bath, was direct after Swindon (apart from a quick stop on the outskirts of Swindon).

matt_splat

It was the 401 which normally only goes as far as Swindon, or sometimes through to Frome. But there's one journey a day (two on a Friday i believe) that goes into Bristol and that is the one we were on. Didn't go via Bath, was direct after Swindon (apart from a quick stop on the outskirts of Swindon).
That was the 041 which ran Friday to Monday with a regular driver before covid.

The regular driver on it saw it go from a handful of people to being regularly full leaving Bath with the return from London also being almost full. I'm surprised it never returned.

Teflon988

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en/help/live-service-updates

Scroll down page to Stop Planned to return in 2023

Unfortunately, we are not able to give a confirmed date on when these stops will be available to book. Please continue to check our Route Map, which automatically updates with the stops we are currently serving. Returning stop lists are subject to change and we regret that our Customer Contact Centre isn't able to provide any further detail on when certain stops or journeys may return.

Thoughts

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Might be useful to quote the list and perhaps they can be 'ticked off' as they return.
Stops not currently served on our network

While we have restructured our network to meet the needs and current demands of our customers, some stops are currently not planned to return until 2023.

To see which stops are planned to be reintroduced next year, please click below. If your stop cannot be found on our Timetables, Route Planner or listed below then, unfortunately, there are no current plans for it to be served.

Stops planned to return in 2023

Listed here are the stops which are planned to be reintroduced during 2023.*

Amesbury
Andover
Ashby-de-la-Zouch
Attleborough
Ayr
Banbury
Bangor (Gwynedd)
Belfast
Belfast Port
Bicester Village (Outlet Centre)
Bickington (Devon)
Bideford
Boston
Brean Sands (Pontins)
Bridport
Brixham
Burnham-on-Sea
Burnham-on-Sea (Haven)
Burton upon Trent
Cairnryan Port (Stena Line)
Canterbury (Park & Ride)
Castle Douglas
Cheshire Oaks
Chester Zoo
Chichester
Coalville
Corby
Crowden
Dereham
Dover (Ferry Port)
Dumfries
East Midlands Airport
Eastbourne
Flint
Fremington
Gorleston-on-Sea
Greenfield (Flintshire)
Gronant (for Presthaven Sands)
Harlow
Hickstead
High Wycombe Coachway
Highbridge
Hollingworth
Honiton
Instow
Kettering
Kilmarnock
King's Lynn
Lancaster University
Launceston
Leamington Spa
London (Aldgate)
London (Blackfriars)
London (Farringdon Barbican)
London (King's Cross St Pancras)
London (Shoreditch)
London (South Hackney)
London (Southwark)
London (Waterloo)
Minehead (Butlins)
Morpeth
Newhall (Derbys)
Newton Stewart
Okehampton
Pensarn
Peterborough
Portsmouth (Rudmore Roundabout)
Prestatyn
Prestatyn (Ffrith)
Prestatyn Sands (Pontins)
Presthaven Sands
Raymond's Hill
Reading (Town Centre)
Rhyl
Rhyl (Robin Hood - East)
Rhyl (Robin Hood - West)
Rotherham
Skegness
Skegness (Butlins)
South Shields
St Columb Major
Stevenage
Stonehouse
Stranraer
Swadlincote
Swaffham
Tewkesbury
Towyn (for Lyons Winkups & Primrose)
Towyn (Wales)
Ty-Mawr (for Park Resorts)
Wadebridge
Warrington
Wellingborough
Wigan
Wisbech
Woodville
Worcester
Worcester-Warndon
Wragby
Wymondham
Yelland

*Unfortunately, we are not able to give a confirmed date on when these stops will be available to book. Please continue to check our Route Map, which automatically updates with the stops we are currently serving. Returning stop lists are subject to change and we regret that our Customer Contact Centre isn't able to provide any further detail on when certain stops or journeys may return.

I note that the A3 through South London to Gatwick isn't returning.

Teflon988

Might be useful to quote the list and perhaps they can be 'ticked off' as they return.

I note that the A3 through South London to Gatwick isn't returning.
Sorry JonathanH,here is the list.

Listed here are the stops which are planned to be reintroduced during 2023.*

Amesbury
Andover
Ashby-de-la-Zouch
Attleborough
Ayr
Banbury
Bangor (Gwynedd)
Belfast
Belfast Port
Bicester Village (Outlet Centre)
Bickington (Devon)
Bideford
Boston
Brean Sands (Pontins)
Bridport
Brixham
Burnham-on-Sea
Burnham-on-Sea (Haven)
Burton upon Trent
Cairnryan Port (Stena Line)
Canterbury (Park & Ride)
Castle Douglas
Cheshire Oaks
Chester Zoo
Chichester
Coalville
Corby
Crowden
Dereham
Dover (Ferry Port)
Dumfries
East Midlands Airport
Eastbourne
Flint
Fremington
Gorleston-on-Sea
Greenfield (Flintshire)
Gronant (for Presthaven Sands)
Harlow
Hickstead
High Wycombe Coachway
Highbridge
Hollingworth
Honiton
Instow
Kettering
Kilmarnock
King's Lynn
Lancaster University
Launceston
Leamington Spa
London (Aldgate)
London (Blackfriars)
London (Farringdon Barbican)
London (King's Cross St Pancras)
London (Shoreditch)
London (South Hackney)
London (Southwark)
London (Waterloo)
Minehead (Butlins)
Morpeth
Newhall (Derbys)
Newton Stewart
Okehampton
Pensarn
Peterborough
Portsmouth (Rudmore Roundabout)
Prestatyn
Prestatyn (Ffrith)
Prestatyn Sands (Pontins)
Presthaven Sands
Raymond's Hill
Reading (Town Centre)
Rhyl
Rhyl (Robin Hood - East)
Rhyl (Robin Hood - West)
Rotherham
Skegness
Skegness (Butlins)
South Shields
St Columb Major
Stevenage
Stonehouse
Stranraer
Swadlincote
Swaffham
Tewkesbury
Towyn (for Lyons Winkups & Primrose)
Towyn (Wales)
Ty-Mawr (for Park Resorts)
Wadebridge
Warrington
Wellingborough
Wigan
Wisbech
Woodville
Worcester
Worcester-Warndon
Wragby
Wymondham
Yelland
Unfortunately, we are not able to give a confirmed date on when these stops will be available to book. Please continue to check our Route Map, which automatically updates with the stops we are currently serving. Returning stop lists are subject to change and we regret that our Customer Contact Centre isn't able to provide any further detail on when certain stops or journeys may return.

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
What service called at Ayr and Kilmarnock?

Peterborough is highly requested.

If you look at the timetables some services have been slowly coming back such as the 203 Southsea to Heathrow and the 035 to Swanage.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Disappointed not to see Wakefield on that list. The stop was handy but seems to have disappeared

JonathanH

Veteran Member
What service called at Ayr and Kilmarnock?
920 overnight coach to Belfast in its final guise - basically was an overnight coach to Manchester, then on to the ferry terminal before going on to Ayr and Kilmarnock mid morning.

route101

Established Member
920 overnight coach to Belfast in its final guise - basically was an overnight coach to Manchester, then on to the ferry terminal before going on to Ayr and Kilmarnock mid morning.
What was the purpose of going to Ayr and Kilmarnock?