• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Express Coaches Discussion

Eyersey468

Established Member
Blimey! Not good at all.

Hope they sort out their act for further orders
All new Levantes are from stock at the moment, at the time of lockdown 1 there were a number parked up at Caetano that NX ended up having to pay for to stop Caetano going bust as no operator would take delivery without the work for them. We had 3 on order that were due in March 2020 and were days from delivery when the network got pulled.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lxfe_mxtterz

Thought this would be the most appropriate place to ask this question...

Just wondering if there is any logic behind which services on the 040 are operated by double deckers, or is it totally random? Thinking of taking a trip to Bristol in a couple of weeks and would like to sample one of the double deckers if possible.

Many thanks for any advice.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Just wondering if there is any logic behind which services on the 040 are operated by double deckers, or is it totally random? Thinking of taking a trip to Bristol in a couple of weeks and would like to sample one of the double deckers if possible.
Not totally random. You are told at booking if it is a double decker as the front seats attract a premium fare. Just follow the booking process. The primary flow is from the Bristol end at peak times though as that is where they are based.

route101

Established Member
Yellow Bus are back on the network, i was told that the NX south coast operation has had a rather a lot of drivers leave to rivals and lorries so Yellows were asked to come back and help.

The 160 Solent leg was being operator by Park's for a while.

I see. Is it Lucketts who do 032 and 030? Based out of Fareham I think.

I hope the 160 route gets some more services added or the 539 comes back.

Thought this would be the most appropriate place to ask this question...

Many thanks for any advice.
The seating plan shows if the service is a double decker.

route101

Established Member
Anyone know if there was any services that used the A1 north out of London? I think Peterborough used to be on the NX network.6

Eyersey468

Established Member
Anyone know if there was any services that used the A1 north out of London? I think Peterborough used to be on the NX network.6
The 447/449 are the two we ran that went A1. I'm surprised Peterborough still isn't back on the network to be honest as it was always busy

317 forever

Established Member
I have caught National Express coaches from Manchester to Derby or Sheffield since 2010. It seems both routes have subsequently been withdrawn.

Eyersey468

Established Member
They would have been interesting routes on the A roads.

I see, never realised. Lincoln to Hull I reckon would be on A roads, so interesting run.
We go A15 as its the most direct way though if the M180 is closed we divert through either Brigg or Scunthorpe

route101

Established Member
Noticed quite a few non National Express livered coaches at Victoria yesterday. I had a green Irizar on the 032 to Southampton, which still had a Lucketts address on the side.

Anyone which route the 550 takes between Chester and Stoke?

Last edited:

Welshman

Established Member
Noticed quite a few non National Express livered coaches at Victoria yesterday. I had a green Irizar on the 032 to Southampton, which still had a Lucketts address on the side.

Anyone which route the 550 takes between Chester and Stoke?
As the 551 is booked to stop at Nantwich, I presume it goes via the A51 and the A500

Class465pacer

National Express have launched a new 260 service, running from Canterbury to Stansted Airport via Maidstone, Chatham, Bluewater and Stratford.

National Express launches service to Stansted Airport from Canterbury, Maidstone, Chatham and Bluewater​

By: Chris Britcher [email protected]
Published: 09:14, 13 June 2022
Updated: 09:15, 13 June 2022
National Express has launched a new airport bus service - connecting the county with Stansted Airport.
The service will start at Canterbury before calling at Maidstone, Chatham, Bluewater and Stratford.
The new National Express service is now operating between Kent and Stansted
The new National Express service is now operating between Kent and Stansted
Operated by Medway-based The Kings Ferry, part of the National Express group since 2007, the number 260 service will run six times a day with fares starting from £8.50 one-way. From Canterbury, it takes around three hours and 25 minutes.
John Boughton, commercial director at National Express, said: “With the rising cost of living we’re seeing more and more people look to us to help them be able to afford to get where they want to be.
“Taking passengers straight to the terminal door, this new service is convenient, reliable and great value - but also good for the environment.
"As well as meeting the needs of our customers, the 260 service will also support London Stansted Airport’s aim to maintain its position as the number one UK airport for public transport use.”

Butts

Veteran Member
I'm meeting my son at Heathrow Airport next Saturday and I'm so glad I booked him on National Express direct from Dudley to T3 rather than the train which I was originally going to do.

Have their prices shot up on Rail Strike Days - sheer coincidence of course if they have ;)

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I'm meeting my son at Heathrow Airport next Saturday and I'm so glad I booked him on National Express direct from Dudley to T3 rather than the train which I was originally going to do.

Have their prices shot up on Rail Strike Days - sheer coincidence of course if they have ;)
They always do with increased demand.

Butts

Veteran Member
They always do with increased demand.

I still can't believe they shut the ticket office at Heathrow Central Bus Station - imagine being a foreigner faced with a plethora of Ticket Machines and no one to help or give advice.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I still can't believe they shut the ticket office at Heathrow Central Bus Station - imagine being a foreigner faced with a plethora of Ticket Machines and no one to help or give advice.

I always prefer using a machine for tickets when not in an English speaking country. Far less pressure.

johncrossley

Established Member
National Express still have a nationwide network of agencies, plus you can get tickets at most post offices. It is arguably easier to get a ticket in person now than before the internet.

Smethwickian

National Express have launched a new 260 service, running from Canterbury to Stansted Airport via Maidstone, Chatham, Bluewater and Stratford.
Started 10 June.
Except for the first four days up to half the journeys were cancelled at short notice (with some pax moved to other routes and the very few booked on the new section taxied) because the operator hadn't route-learned enough drivers.
Haven't checked yesterday or today.

NX lost the contract to manage and operate the bus station at Heathrow (to Transdev) and I think there was some kind of disagreement/financial falling-out/contractual dispute which meant NX could not simply retain a ticket office. Someone in the know might enlighten us here.
If people really don't want to buy from the machines or online, the travel agency We Know London has branches in most Heathrow terminals and is an NX ticket agent, but can't offer any further assistance, of course.

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
National Express still have a nationwide network of agencies, plus you can get tickets at most post offices. It is arguably easier to get a ticket in person now than before the internet.

Yes, but Heathrow Airport is the major gateway to the United Kingdom.

Even in this day and age I can't believe they don't feel it warrants some sort of physical presence for selling tickets and giving out information.

Not everyone is internet savvy and people might need help in the event of cancellations et al.

Does anyone remember the NE adverts featuring David Soul as the driver ?

I think a lot of people did not realise it was him singing the accompanying dialogue from his Hit Silver Lady ..."Town to Town" ...

Started 10 June.
Except for the first four days up to half the journeys were cancelled at short notice (with some pax moved to other routes and the very few booked on the new section taxied) because the operator hadn't route-learned enough drivers.
Haven't checked yesterday or today.

NX lost the contract to manage and operate the bus station at Heathrow (to Transdev) and I think there was some kind of disagreement/financial falling-out/contractual dispute which meant NX could not simply retain a ticket office. Someone in the know might enlighten us here.
If people really don't want to buy from the machines or online, the travel agency We Know London has branches in most Heathrow terminals and is an NX ticket agent, but can't offer any further assistance, of course.

Just read this as I was posting - thanks for the update.

Smethwickian

There just aren't the drivers to lay on lots of extra coaches and hiring in from a wider range of operators just means those companies can name their price. The result will be, for the seats available on rail strike days, passengers can just pay up or not travel.
NX is believed to be struggling to fulfill its commitment to Glastonbury event services and is understood to have cancelled a number of other journeys between S.Wales/the West Country and Heathrow/London on June 27 to make drivers and vehicles available for the mass exodus from Worthy Farm.

johncrossley

Established Member
Yes, but Heathrow Airport is the major gateway to the United Kingdom.

Even in this day and age I can't believe they don't feel it warrants some sort of physical presence for selling tickets and giving out information.

Not everyone is internet savvy and people might need help in the event of cancellations et al.

I see your point, but Heathrow is just one stop out of hundreds on their network, and there is no bus stop support hardly anywhere else. Again, going back in history, I remember running to the telephone box to find out where the coach was, hoping that it doesn't turn up while I was away from the stop, and you had to have a Phonecard or enough coins to make the call. Nowadays, you can look on the coach tracker app, or you can Tweet them or phone them if out of hours without leaving the stop. If you aren't internet savvy, there's probably someone else waiting for the coach that is, especially at a busy stop like Heathrow. I haven't been there for a while but I would guess there are departure screens where information on delays can be shown.

route101

Established Member
Was surprised to see someone with an old style boarding pass style ticket, is that from Telesales?

As the 551 is booked to stop at Nantwich, I presume it goes via the A51 and the A500
If no one is booked to get on or alight, the service goes via the motorway perhaps?

Smethwickian

If no one is booked to get on or alight, the service goes via the motorway perhaps?
Normally, all scheduled stops on all NX journeys should still be served. Even if not pre-booked, people can take a chance and pay the driver if seats are available.
However (buried in Conditions of Carriage) this is not guaranteed and so, if a service is running late, network control can authorise stops without bookings to be missed to help make up time. Drivers are never supposed to do so without specific authorisation and an 'incident number' given.

Butts

Veteran Member
Isn't it time they had some sort of refreshment provision onboard - particularly on "long haul" journeys ?