• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Express Luggage

Status
Not open for further replies.

dylan_v96

Hi, I am travelling on National Express Coach for the first time to vist girlfriend in Warwick for the first time. I was looking at luggage requirements and read they needed to be locked and fastened securly so i am wondering if i should invest in a padlock for while it is on the coach. I was planning on taking a large luggage bag as i am only there for 5 days and want to make sure i can actaully get there with all my stuff.

If anyone could get back to me i would be very grateful thank you! :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Liam

Established Member
I wouldn't, I imagine a thief is more likely to go for a padlocked case than one not padlocked.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Put anything valuable in your hand luggage, then you are unlikely to have a problem. The driver loads the cases in full view, so the only risk is of someone taking your case when they get off. A reasonable guard against this if you're concerned is to mark your case with something obvious like a coloured ribbon, and sit on the nearside of the coach so you can see most of the luggage coming off at each stop.

But really, it's unlikely to be an issue.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Put anything valuable in your hand luggage, then you are unlikely to have a problem. The driver loads the cases in full view, so the only risk is of someone taking your case when they get off. A reasonable guard against this if you're concerned is to mark your case with something obvious like a coloured ribbon, and sit on the nearside of the coach so you can see most of the luggage coming off at each stop.

But really, it's unlikely to be an issue.

Echo Neil's comments. If you're so bothered, have valuables in hand luggage but the risk of theft is probably less than rail or air travel - it is minimal

pitdiver

As an ex national Express Coach Station Manager I can confirm that the chances of theft are very slim. More like someone taking a case by mistake. Make yours very distinct looking or one that that no one else would want to be seen carrying LOL.

The only problem with NX Coaches is the amount of luggage some people take particularly on Airport services. We would have no end of problems trying to get cases into holds during holiday times. On many an occasion I would have had to call the control centre to arrange a mini bus from a local operator just to carry the luggage overload. I certainly don't miss those days.;)

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I've only been on a National Express coach a few times in recent years, but as with any sort of travel I keep any bags containing valuables with me and I don't lock anything as it only makes the bags a bit more attractive to opportunistic thieves.

No one has ever cared that the bag or bags I've put in the luggage compartment haven't been locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.