National Fare Manual CD only supported on WindowsXP

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by james-martin, 1 Dec 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. james-martin

james-martin Member

Hi All,

I've recently got a new computer with Windows7 installed. I tried to Install the NFM14 application. Having checked the release notes it is only supported on WindowsXP.

This will become a major problem next year as WindowsXP will no longer be supported by Microsoft from April 2014. Does anyone know if ATOC are aware of this and have arranged for the software to be fixed? Obviously, it would be highly questionable to claim the information was in the public domain if the CD does not have a valid access method which will be the case from the May issue next year.

The other avenue is of course does anyone know of a workaround to get the application running on Windows7? I have tried running it in XP mode and that sadly does not work.

It is worth noting I quite value having offline very quick access to the tabulated fares.

Cheers.

James.

2. RJ

RJ Established Member

I'm one of the people who buys these CDs every January.

NFM 14 did not work on any Windows 7/8 system I used. It installed but came up with some error message when I tried to run it. However, I also have a NFM11 CD which worked fine. NFM11 appears to install some critical files that NFM14 lacks.

I therefore got NFM14 to work perfectly by installing NFM11.

Last edited: 1 Dec 2013
  3. Sacro

Sacro Member

Aren't the data files available on their own now? And the format to read them is documented. Just need a suitable viewer coding.

4. Nym

Nym Established Member

XP Mode... Have you tried using an XP Virtual Machine?

5. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Incidentally, it works on Mac fine using Wine.

6. Sacro

Sacro Member

That too will be end-of-life in April.

7. greatkingrat

greatkingrat Established Member

Yes, but the ATOC files do not contain exactly the same information as the NFM CD, eg they don't have the full text version of the restriction codes, just a machine readable interpretation of them.

8. PermitToTravel

PermitToTravel Established Member

Windows XP Mode is a virtual machine running Windows XP, and Avantix Traveller should definitely work in this (although I admittedly haven't tried it)

I suspect that the OP tried to run the software in question in Compatibility Mode for Windows XP, which is a very different thing. Given RJ's report, one would assume that the software depends on a shared library, which the developers have previously packaged, but forgotten to this time, and not picked this up during testing, as their systems already had these libraries installed (assuming that any testing was performed at all). Shoddy.

9. island

island Established Member

It also works fine on Windows Vista.

10. Bushy

Bushy Member

Are there any error messages?
    I have a peace of old software that required certain dlls that are no longer part of Windows installation. If this is a similar problem, try searching for the missing files on the net.

Regards

Bushy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.