• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Power lines have come into contact with OLE - Berwick (13/10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
Not quite! For a fixed resistance, as V gets larger, I gets larger too.

I think what you meant is that for a fixed power, the current is less and so the losses are less. Power= V*I so, if V is greater then, for the same power, I is less. The (resistive) losses are I^2 * R, so increase with the square of the current. (With alternating current the impedance is not just the resistance, but that's another matter!)
Yes, sorry. :oops: I lost that when I edited the post. For a given value of R, as V increases I decreases to transmit the same power.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Posted above that it was just 11kV - I think 132kV would be on pylons not wooden poles.

132kV wooden pole lines do exist, indeed you get a great view of one going towards Cornwall outside of Exeter station.

They look a bit strange but have a huge set of splayed insulators on the top of the pole, often referred to as "Tridents".

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
Daft question time what does DNO stand for?

Not a daft question, in fairness, that abbreviation is used all too often in railway-land without being fully explained!

ABB125

Established Member
OpenInfraMap is my new favourite map! I love maps like this, I could spend hours looking at this.
It's fascinating looking at my local area - plenty of wooden poles are 66kV - I'd always assumed all wooden poles were 240V! My only criticism is that it only has high-voltage stuff on it, but I suppose including every power line in the country would be rather too much work.
Interestingly, the University of Birmingham has its own 132kV supply from Selly Oak substation - I wonder why they need this?

Apologies for perpetuating this fascinating but off-topic topic.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Any chance of some pictures for those of us that missed the LNER tweet?

_toommm_

Established Member
Any chance of some pictures for those of us that missed the LNER tweet?

I've not found much, but here's one or two links:

And incase these tweets/articles get deleted, I'll post the photos below (DESCRIPTION: The photos are of the damage to the Overhead Line Equipment at Berwick-upon-Tweed, 13/10/20):

ECML 131020 1.jpegECML 131020 2.jpeg

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Is the conductor/catenary wire on that section copper or steel reinforced aluminium?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
This type of incident can’t be that common, I would have thought?

It’s just the sort of random snag that would usually result in the sort of discussion we‘re having, but I don’t recall a previous similar fault.

oldman

A similar thing happened in Northumberland on a very windy day in the mid-1990s. Went down to York for a meeting but going home the message at York for Edinburgh passengers was don't bother; in fact they had one line open for diesel traction by mid-evening. I ended up on the Eurostar-connecting HST coming up from Waterloo - I don't suppose it often carried so many passengers.

1978NWUK

I’m wondering what brought the DNO cables down in the first place

It’s just the sort of random snag that would usually result in the sort of discussion we‘re having, but I don’t recall a previous similar fault.

I can recall a few happening over the last few years. The distance between the DNO OLE and railway OLE is specified in ENA (Energy Networks Association) documents although I imagine its not a simple affair to manage when you throw in wayleave agreements......

There are some locations with ample clearance between DNO and railway which allow for nets to be installed to help reduce the potential for de-wirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.