• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Rail Enquiries incorrectly showing weekend first fare as 1st Anytime fare

Status
Not open for further replies.

extendedpaul

National Rail Journey Planner is offering me a £10 First Class Anytime Fare on the 21.14 from Birmingham New Street to Euston tonight - £6 cheaper than the advance for the same journey. The same fare is available for several journeys to Birmingham today as well.

I can't use it unfortunately but is this a glitch or are there regularly bargain basement fares like that so close to time of travel ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paddy1

National Rail Journey Planner is offering me a £10 First Class Anytime Fare on the 21.14 from Birmingham New Street to Euston tonight - £6 cheaper than the advance for the same journey.

I can't use it unfortunately but is this a glitch or are there regularly bargain basement fares like that so close to time of travel ?

Yes, I have just tried it and it is offering me the same £10 anytime first class fare. However, this is a London Midland fare and not a Virgin one, so no complimentary refreshments. Also the journey time is some 2 + 1/2 hours

It is £127.00 if you want the first class anytime Virgin fare at around the same departure time.

extendedpaul

Cheers. Even without freebies it's a very good deal for a day trip to Birmingham.

The £117 saving compared to Virgin certainly makes up for the longer journey time and need to self-cater !

paddy1

Cheers. Even without freebies it's a very good deal for a day trip to Birmingham.

The £117 saving compared to Virgin certainly makes up for the longer journey time and need to self-cater !

Have just checked it again now and it is definitely a glitch on the system.

When you click on the £10 first anytime fare option it comes up as a Weekend first upgrade only. When you then go in and try and purchase it comes up with a message ala... 'your chosen fare is not available'..and then shows a £19.90 standard LM ticket as the lowest available fare.

It looked too good to be true - and it was!

Last edited:

All Line Rover

Established Member
It is not a First Class fare. It is a Weekend First Upgrade. LM have recently introduced Weekend First (£10 single, £15 return), but National Rail Enquiries is mistaking these upgrades as being normal ticket types.

Status
Not open for further replies.