• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Rail Enquiries official App

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I see that National Rail Enquiries have launched an official App, free of charge on iPhone and Android.

http://blog.nationalrail.co.uk/2012...iries-announces-a-new-app-for-iphone-android/

Interesting change of events, since the Agant App was launched at £4.99 a few years ago. This originally had the National Rail logo and was called ''National Rail.'' A while ago the App was changed to ''Train Times'' and recently there was a new update to remove the National Rail logo.

I'm glad it allows you to select a 'via' point!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mullin

On my Android, it says it needs permission to access my 'phone calls' - ie the state of my phone... it's number, whether or not I'm making a call, who I'm calling, that.callers number and my phone serial number... um, why??

jbb

Seems nice enough app on my android :)

Just tried the get me home function and it has planned a route of
Moorgate -> Farringdon (on underground)
-> St Pancras (On a train)
-> Euston ( Back on underground)
-> Train home

Which doesn't seem ideal

Bungle73

On Moderation
I see that National Rail Enquiries have launched an official App, free of charge on iPhone and Android.

http://blog.nationalrail.co.uk/2012...iries-announces-a-new-app-for-iphone-android/

Interesting change of events, since the Agant App was launched at £4.99 a few years ago. This originally had the National Rail logo and was called ''National Rail.'' A while ago the App was changed to ''Train Times'' and recently there was a new update to remove the National Rail logo.

I'm glad it allows you to select a 'via' point!
You can select a "via" on the Agant app. I bought it a few years ago and have never felt the need to use anything else. It does everything I would want it to (except, maybe, enable the purchase of tickets).

Was there some kind of falling out with NR and Agant? Was it ever "proper" official app anyway?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You can select a "via" on the Agant app.
Thanks for this! I wasn't aware you could, as it seems to be something you need to turn on in the settings (it's off by default). Very handy.

causton

Established Member
On my Android, it says it needs permission to access my 'phone calls' - ie the state of my phone... it's number, whether or not I'm making a call, who I'm calling, that.callers number and my phone serial number... um, why??

I believe most ad-supported apps do so they can uniquely track the device...

jbb

The previous app seemed to have the ability to send text alerts when trains were late. I *think* via sms messages (probably charged for)... If this does that it might explain why it needs access to your phone number.

Status
Not open for further replies.