• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Rail-Metrolink season ticket query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuwhu

Hello.. I am after a bit of advice

I am soon to be starting a new job, and will be looking at commuting from Poynton to Altrincham. However the way my shifts are timed it would be easier to travel from Poynton-Stockport-Altrincham by national rail on the outbound (pre 8am) and return Altrincham-Manchester-Poynton by metrolink and national rail on the return. Is there any ticket that would allow this?? I have looked at the Greater Manchester County Cards (from Bramhall) but they don't allow tram use outside the central zone.. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this journey.

Thanks

Stu

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I don't know of one ticket that allows it (except on Sundays)..

In order to facilitate the use of both methods of transport I believe you would need two tickets, though I don't know what the cheapest combination would be. I think perhaps a season ticket to Altrincham Mtlk and a series of singles from Stockport to Altrincham.

Established Member
Tickets from outside of the county (Poynton) use Altrincham MTLK, and cannot be purchased as season tickets, just single or day returns.

7DS Seven Day Season
Bramhall - Metrolink Zone G £45.60
Route is Bramhall-Manchester-tram-Altrincham.
As the Stockport rail service is the more direct, cheaper route using it should not be an issue.

http://brfares.com/#fares?orig=BML&dest=G237&rlc=

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Tickets from outside of the county (Poynton) use Altrincham MTLK, and cannot be purchased as season tickets, just single or day returns.

7DS Seven Day Season
As the Stockport rail service is the more direct, cheaper route using it should not be an issue.

I hadn't checked but I thought, as fares from within Greater Manchester to the Metrolink could be seasons, that travel from outside could be, but if you can't then fair enough.

Tickets to Metrolink zones are extensions of the Manchester Stns fare (except for some tickets from stations beyond Altrincham), so unless a Poynton to Manchester Stns ticket is valid by rail via Altrincham, it would not be valid that way. Guards allowing it is another matter.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member

7DS Seven Day Season

Tickets from outside the Greater Manchester area - i.e. Poynton - CAN be purchased as season tickets, but only for periods of 1 week or 1 month, according to the Fares Manual.

Avantix Mobile shows the season fares for Poynton to Altrincham Metrolink as £60.50 for 7 days, £232.40 for 1 month. This compares with £47.90 or £184 for a season from Poynton to Altrincham which isn't valid on Metrolink.

As stated previously the fares to Metrolink stations are add on fares from the Manchester Stations (or Manchester Central Zone) fare, so it is my opinion that all travel to Metrolink stations on inclusive tickets are valid via the permitted routes from the origin to Manchester, and then via Metrolink to the final destination. I believe there may be some differences for fares from mid cheshire line stations, but that is not relevant to this topic.

Established Member
Tickets from outside the Greater Manchester area - i.e. Poynton - CAN be purchased as season tickets, but only for periods of 1 week or 1 month, according to the Fares Manual.

Avantix Mobile shows the season fares for Poynton to Altrincham Metrolink as £60.50 for 7 days, £232.40 for 1 month. This compares with £47.90 or £184 for a season from Poynton to Altrincham which isn't valid on Metrolink.

As stated previously the fares to Metrolink stations are add on fares from the Manchester Stations (or Manchester Central Zone) fare, so it is my opinion that all travel to Metrolink stations on inclusive tickets are valid via the permitted routes from the origin to Manchester, and then via Metrolink to the final destination. I believe there may be some differences for fares from mid cheshire line stations, but that is not relevant to this topic.

Hmm. Seems I was wrong, I went from what one of my own passengers had told me... stating Huddersfield booking office wouldn't sell him a through season ticket.

pemma

Veteran Member

Indeed. The exceptions from the Mid Cheshire line specify Route:Altrincham, all others are valid via Manchester only.

Status
Not open for further replies.