• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Rail Stations Made Easy Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan125hst

Established Member
Sorry if this has already been mentioned elsewhere (I've done a quick search and not noticed anything obvious) but has anyone noticed that the Stations Made Easy maps on the ECML stations have been updated?

They are now 3D and have different graphics to what was used before. Unfortunately, it is no longer possible to click on each platform and facility to vew a photograph of it, it's just a single map image that you can view. Additionally, the image isn't particularly clear and for larger stations in particular, it is very difficult to see the detail. Take York station for example. You can't read the platform numbers for most of the platforms and the icons on platform's 10 and 11 are very small so are difficult to read.

They did need to be updated as I don't think a lot of stations have had their maps and photographs updated for several years, but I feel that this could have been done in a way that the detail is far easier to read.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zero

Yes, noticed this a few months ago, now almost useless. If they could bring back the photos when hovering over part of the graphic it wouldn't be so bad

SynthD

Some stations have just the new style, some have both the new and old.

Bungle73

On Moderation
I've seen that while trying to look up York. How did this ever get past the approval stage? What are they thinking? Absolutely ridiculous.

HSP 2

When I plotting my days out I tend to use the maps on National Rail Enquiries to see how a station that I don't know well is laid out. In my mind going from best to worst. The monitor that I'm using has a 45cm screen.

National Rail Enquiries - Station facilities for Preston (Lancs)
9/10 lost a point, old photos. The one to work up to.

National Rail Enquiries - Station facilities for Stratford (London)
8/10 loses 2 points no photos. A nice try.

National Rail Enquiries - Station facilities for London Euston
5/10 loses 5 points, no photos, too small.

National Rail Enquiries - Station facilities for London Liverpool Street
5/10 loses 5 points, no photos, too small. (nice colours)

National Rail Enquiries - Station facilities for London St Pancras International
2/10 loses 8 points, no photos, too small no easy to see information on platform numbers, as far as I can tell off this map St. Pancras does not have a ticket office (the map is OK for the shops!).

National Rail Enquiries - Station facilities for York
0/10 loses 10 points, not fit for purpose good for showing that the person that drew it could use a graphics program.

If you click on "main accessible routes" you get a map that you can read.

ryan125hst

Established Member
Thanks for the comparison HSP 2. I can't believe how many different variations of map design there are. I'm pretty sure there used to be one design (the same as you show for Preston) with only Network Rail operated stations and perhaps the odd other station having anything different.

I'm sure the quality and usability of the maps would be far greater if a common design was agreed and rolled out network wide. They should include photos as well and be sure to update them whenever changes are made to the station. It would certainly make the railway more customer friendly if they did this.

Status
Not open for further replies.