• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Rail Step Free Access Map

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex27

Rose Hill Marple has 'no Sunday service' which is absolutely correct, however by putting it at one station people may assume that all other stations on the map have a Sunday service, of course many others do not. Hyde North, Hyde Central and Woodley are examples on the same line. If this is a map about accessibility I would be tempted not to over complicate it with service levels which can easily be looked up on journey planners.

Just on a side note Westhoughton is spelt wrong but otherwise it could be a very useful resource.
I didn't realise that:s, Being from the South East I forget that some stations don't have a service everyday:'(
Fixed Westhoughton

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alex27

I think in the examples I gave regarding places like Dorchester South perhaps some kind of One Way accessibility symbol might be useful?
Yeah maybe, I'm hesitant because both platforms are technically accessible at Dorchester South, I think I might a bit more of an explanation by the no interchange symbol and rephrase it a bit

unlevel42

There is a Barrow Crossing at Thorne North(1tph). It is lockedout of use.
East bound platform access is by sloping steps from road or station footbridge.
All facilities are on westbound platform.

Thorne South(1tph) is compliant and car park on eastbound platform
HATFIELD & STAINFORTH is compliant, 2tph but car park is on westbound platform

At Thorne North the trains arrive from both direction at the same time and there is an hour gap but a lot of freight
Recommendation has been to travel to/from Goole and Taxi provided.
Phone Doncaster before travel

Parallel

Established Member
Nice map. To my knowledge, Lympstone Commando also has step free access.

EDIT: Also Dyffryn Ardudwy, it had a harrington jump installed a few years ago (the same as Aberdovey) bringing part of the platform up to a much more convenient height.

Last edited:

Alex27

Nice map. To my knowledge, Lympstone Commando also has step free access.

EDIT: Also Dyffryn Ardudwy, it had a harrington jump installed a few years ago (the same as Aberdovey) bringing part of the platform up to a much more convenient height.
Thanks, National Rail Enquiries classes Lympstone Commando as a category C station (no step free access) and says that Dyffryn Ardudwy isn't suitable fo wheelchair users:'(

reytomas1228

Alex, this is a fantastic resource and a million times better than anything National Rail has ever released. With regards to the non-step-free stations, have you considered putting an unmarked stub to show that there is a station? This is just so that people using the resource don't assume that Finsbury Park and Cuffley are next to each other (it also helps show where the dead zones are). I noticed that the level boarding stations on the Thameslink and East London Line core don't have their symbols yet, will this be updated soon? Finally, do you have plans of expanding this map to include the local rail systems (trams, underground, etc) or making it interactive? I run a website focussed on accessibility in London, and made my own London accessibility map because of repeated issues with TfL's official map and the lack of NR information (stepfreelondon.uk/map). Once again, great job doing this, I know how much of a nightmare deciphering step-free information can be.

Alex27

Alex, this is a fantastic resource and a million times better than anything National Rail has ever released. With regards to the non-step-free stations, have you considered putting an unmarked stub to show that there is a station? This is just so that people using the resource don't assume that Finsbury Park and Cuffley are next to each other (it also helps show where the dead zones are). I noticed that the level boarding stations on the Thameslink and East London Line core don't have their symbols yet, will this be updated soon? Finally, do you have plans of expanding this map to include the local rail systems (trams, underground, etc) or making it interactive? I run a website focussed on accessibility in London, and made my own London accessibility map because of repeated issues with TfL's official map and the lack of NR information (stepfreelondon.uk/map). Once again, great job doing this, I know how much of a nightmare deciphering step-free information can be.
Thank you:) I wasn't thinking to mark where non-accessible stations are because it felt like it might clog it up a bit, I didn't realise there was level access on the TL and ELL cores, so I'll update it now:)

This is a really useful map. Can I suggest that you move Guildford 'southwards' (possibly to where Godalming is now)? This move would enable you to create more space between the Guildford-Sutton and Woking-New Malden lines, which might improve readability in this part of the map.

Also a suggestion on your typeface - normally having mixed upper and lower case letters is considered easier to read than having all upper case (that's why UK road signs are mixed case) - I think it would be worth considering this for your map. (There's lots of advice out there on good typefaces for people with impaired vision.)

red star

Alex27
Many thanks for sharing - would add North London Line - London Overground - West Hampstead and Kensal Rise are now step free

fflint

Super map very well done! In Merseyside after Brunswick and South Parkway, heading towards Warrington, Hunts Cross is missing (It's the end of the Mersey Electric line from Southport).

Keep up the good work, it's better than most maps I've seen.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Super map very well done! In Merseyside after Brunswick and South Parkway, heading towards Warrington, Hunts Cross is missing (It's the end of the Mersey Electric line from Southport).

Keep up the good work, it's better than most maps I've seen.
The map is only showing accessible stations. Non accessible stations aren't included and since Hunts Cross is accessed by a stepped ramp, it is not accessible.

peters

On Moderation
On Hale you've got a symbol indicating step free access between platforms is via a level crossing. On Navigation Road you've got a symbol indicating step free interchange with local tram but no level crossing symbol. However, to get between the tram and train platforms at Navigation Road you have to use the level crossing, which isn't the easiest thing to do when there's 20 trams going through per hour as well as long freight trains. The others on the Altrincham line are correct even if accessible would be a dubious reference to use for many of the platforms.

The step free access between platforms at Freshfield also requires using the level crossing.

TUC

Established Member
Marsden station is shown as having accessibility westbound, to platform 3. Unfortunately platform 3 is no longer used, and all westbound trains call at the thoroughly non-accessible platform 2.
That is an interesting point in itself. To what degree is accessibility of individual platforms built into planning for which platforms are the default ones to be usually used?

Alex27

On Hale you've got a symbol indicating step free access between platforms is via a level crossing. On Navigation Road you've got a symbol indicating step free interchange with local tram but no level crossing symbol. However, to get between the tram and train platforms at Navigation Road you have to use the level crossing, which isn't the easiest thing to do when there's 20 trams going through per hour as well as long freight trains. The others on the Altrincham line are correct even if accessible would be a dubious reference to use for many of the platforms.

The step free access between platforms at Freshfield also requires using the level crossing.
Thanks for the info, I've updated the map

Status
Not open for further replies.